getting into 3pack without a website?

gnojham

i was doing a bit of looking around, and i came across search results that had the #1 spot in the 3 pack had no website. is this rare or standard? 

does this reflect at all the level of competition?

full disclosure: i may not know what gets you into the 3 pack

Grow your online visibility

It's not rare. Nor is it standard.

3 pack results can change dramatically simply by changing the location being searched from. Go two miles and search again. In all likelihood you will see different results. Local returns are happening on a more granular level these days. Geo position of the search device's IP address seems to be a much stronger signal these days.

I've seen more fluctuations in the last 30 days on google local returns than I've seen since local was born.

A short while back google removed our ability to specify a search location from their search tools. Shortly after this is when returns for different locations started changing. These are only my own observations. Make of them what you will.

• 1 month later...

is there a way to help get into the 3 pack, or is it just luck of the draw?

i mean, if a business can get into the 3 pack without a website, how does it happen?

if theres 10 relevant businesses, how is it decided who gets into the 3 pack? yeah, you can click on the 'show more results' thing and show up, but being in the original 3 pack has to be much better than being in the 'see more results' area.

It's largely based on citations. Technically, businesses can get into the 3-pack without an actual website, but that is much more rare today than it was 6-7 years ago. It was much more common. Hell, a lot of marketers made a good bit of money just showing local business owners how to claim their listing that was already there.

Today, you will mostly only find that happening in very rural areas with little to know competition.

Majic first..

Fill out profile 100%

Then correct NAP all across the board.

Citations

Reviews.

If you rank in top on organic that can be a factor. Only in some niches. Others I have seen with no relevance to organic...

Lastly pray real hard...

The 3 single most important elements that I see affecting 3 pack rankings (and I have a lot of them) are:

1) Having the main keyphrase or word in the domain name or an actual EMD..... I don't think google ever turned back the signal for this the way they did organic. EMD domains beast right up in the 3-pack.

2) Having the main keyphrase in the company name listed in the 3 pack. For example if you're trying to rank a carpet cleaning company, and it's named "AAA Carpet Cleaning. This will rank a hell of a lot quicker than a name like "Spotless Floor Solutions"

3) Backlinks with exact match anchor text to the main websites home page.

I swear they've turned the signal back on NAP consistency. And another thing I've noticed that having your local info like name, address, place, hours, and type of business you are marked up with schema seems to make a big difference. Google says it doesn't use that as a ranking factor... But google has been lying their fing asses off about their algos for going on 3-4 years now.

They constantly shuffle stuff in the 3-pack, including what is seen by their bots as the epicenter of a given city. Yeah! They actually move it around thereby creating instability in the local pack rankings. I see it constantly. I think that it's being done with intent and purpose. The purpose? To destabilize the rankings and get a business owner to see the power of ranking high on the first page and what constant clicks can do for his bottom line. The intent? To drive them to pay per click to get that business back when they move the epicenter of the city across town and take those clicks away. I see this happen about every 4 months and it drives me fing nuts. After a while they'll move it back to the center again.

The RAT BASTARDS !!