What Kind of Task Management Options Are People Using?

I am curious to what other people are using to keep themselves organized and on task. 

Are you using something simple like a written To Do List? Do you use a Windows app? Or are you using an online option?

I have been looking into some of the online options, but as a one-man show, I'm not sure they are worth the cost to me.

Thanks for any feedback.

I like having an online solution. In my situation, I have several people that do work for me, and we need to coordinate together. Plus, I like being mobile. Having access to my task list while I'm sitting at a coffee shop on my laptop is important to me.

I used BaseCamp for several years. It's decent, but always felt a little unorganized to me.

I recently switched everything (almost) in my business over to RedBooth. I love RedBooth so far.

It might seem like overkill for a one-man show. They do have a free 30-day trial. Worth checking out.

Sometimes simple is the best.

There's that, and the fact that knowing what to do to keep moving forward is normally much harder than getting on and doing it. If I make a list for tomorrow, be it on paper or some kind of app/software, then I'll get on and do it . . . What really matters is whether the things on that list are the correct things to be doing.

Oddly, this is the opposite experience to managing others, where I would typically know the correct things to be doing, but getting people to actually do them could be a lot harder.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to check out ZoHo's free option. 

Most likely I will just stick with my super advanced pen and paper setup.

if youre going to stick with pen and paper, try the sticky notes thing im talking about. youll love it

I am curious to what other people are using to keep themselves organized and on task. 

Are you using something simple like a written To Do List? Do you use a Windows app? Or are you using an online option?

I have been looking into some of the online options, but as a one-man show, I'm not sure they are worth the cost to me.

Thanks for any feedback.

Notepad for immediate plans or if it's an ongoing project (a site) I'll make an excel file for it. My router has a built in web based file server, I just threw a USB stick into it. So if I'm working on my laptop while not at home I can upload things there and not have to worry about it later. I try to keep everything as organized as possible with folders and files. So every site has a folder on a hard drive dedicated to projects with a similar structure of sub-folders. Something like /site/content/article, this makes backups really easy as well. I can just ctrl-A ctrl-C and paste the entire drive somewhere, or if I remembered that I only worked on a few sites I can just backup those. I dump all backups to a "server" with a raid5 array that I built out of an old computer, I just added a raid card and 5x4gb drives.

When ever I outsource anything I want to give the person absolute minimal access to whatever they need. Normally it's just writing so they don't need any access to anything. I usually just use what ever the interface that site allows and dump files they might need to a folder on whatever site they are working on. They can just email me the work back, usually I tell them to email admin@whateversite they are working on to keep things organized. I always setup that email on every site as well and I can read all of the emails from 1 installation of thunderbird.

I find that every time I try to use something like BaseCamp that it wastes more time then it saves. I don't have people collaborating with each other, I want everything to go through me, and email is the easiest for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still on this method too. Also still using a not so smart phone.

I do however want to get an OCR because the paper can pile up over time.

I'm a bit of a Luddite, and still refuse to own a mobile phone of any description. If the volume of paper piling up became an issue to me, I'd opt for any of the following before buying a phone:

1. Wax tablet
  2. Slate and chalk
  3. Etch-a-sketch
  4. Fridge magnets

On a serious note though, I imagine most people here are smart enough to know when the benefits of task management apps outweigh the time invested in setting them up and using them, and if you're trying to develop half a dozen businesses simultaneously then they're probably indispensable.

I'm a bit of a Luddite, and still refuse to own a mobile phone of any description. If the volume of paper piling up became an issue to me, I'd opt for any of the following before buying a phone:

1. Wax tablet
  2. Slate and chalk
  3. Etch-a-sketch
  4. Fridge magnets

On a serious note though, I imagine most people here are smart enough to know when the benefits of task management apps outweigh the time invested in setting them up and using them, and if you're trying to develop half a dozen businesses simultaneously then they're probably indispensable.

If smartphones couldn't act as a wireless hotspot I wouldn't own one. I walked into a sprint store and said "can I use the phone to connect my laptop to the internet?" they said of course, I said "I'll take a note 5, my friend has one, it seems really useful and I didn't even know the phone could do that." They were trying to get me on some plan and I was like "No, I don't think you understand, I'll just buy the phone. I'll pay the bill monthly, I don't like contracts." I think the person at the store just about shit their pants when I asked "what accessories do you recommend? I'll buy whatever you recommend that seems good."

Granted, the tethering data is limited, but I can now run my business from anywhere on the planet. Do you really think that's not worth the money? Not to mention the fact that the phone is basically a computer itself.

I also think it's hilarious when somebody in sales/marketing interacts with somebody in consumer level sales. You can't sell me anything I don't want, it's not going to work, I don't care who trained you. If I want something, just be honest and I'll buy it. The more you talk the more I'm going to realize how much you blow at sales. I once told a car salesman: "I've taken pretty much every sales course that I can get my hands on and from personal experience, you suck at this. I've been intentionally playing games with you for awhile now just to see how you would respond."

Granted, the tethering data is limited, but I can now run my business from anywhere on the planet. Do you really think that's not worth the money? Not to mention the fact that the phone is basically a computer itself.

Are you in the US?

It's an extra bit to carry around, but a small bit. I have a Karma card. It's my 3g/4g prepaid lose no data wireless broadband card which allows connection of more than one thing at a time.

They just had another "double data" special too. I only pull it out when there is no free wifi.

Back in 2007 I'd gotten a sprint broadband card. It was my only/primary internet source until just this past September. It was an unlimited plan at 60 bucks a month. Karma has an unlimited at around 50 I think, but because I have so much wifi access on family stuff it makes no sense at the moment. No contracts so I can flip into that plan if I ever needed to.

I bought over 20g of data back in August last year, and have not even used 5g. Data sits in the account and you don't lose it. Order on demand.

Anyway, that is how I've managed for so long using a not so smart phone. I also use an ipod touch. About to buy a new ipod touch, which does everything iphone does except the call. A whole lot less money.

Always felt the need to keep some devices separate.

(if you look into yourkarma and decide to get one, send me a pm for a coupon thing. I get some more data in my account out of you using it ;) )

New smart phone has been picked out, but someone wants to gift it to me so waiting until they are ready. Knowing the phone I use right now only needs a charge about once a week, I'm in no rush. Will probably forget to plug in a new phone every night.

Simple paper list. Cross tasks off as I complete them. Anything not completed by the end of the day gets carried over to the next day's list.

I use the same thing, it's much easier and faster to use. Just got himself notes for this.