No more sidebar ads in AdWords

Mike Friedman

This is a big deal...

http://searchengineland.com/google-no-ads-right-side-of-desktop-search-results-242997

There will be tons of butthurt flowing the next few months. First you will have the people complaining that they are no longer on page one with their terrific ad that was the 7th ad down in the sidebar... Then you will have the people screaming that they are now seeing 4 ads above the SERPs and claiming that everything is going to go to paid listings soon.

Personally, I think the SERPs look nekkid without the sidebar ads now. I will get used to it, but it is odd looking. And the reason for this all comes down to money. Google does not make money for impressions. They make money for clicks. This will drive up the price of top bids in a lot of SERPs.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

So I have talked to a few people that I know and trust who track their data like crazy, and they are seeing an increase in CTR for rankings in the top 5. It's only been a few days, so the data is not real reliable yet. I'm seeing the same. No massive upticks, but certainly a few more clicks.

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-adwords-layout-change-who-will-win-lose-21702.html

A week ago Friday, Google removed right ads from the AdWords layout and placed potentially four ads at the top of the listing page.

Now, webmasters wait to see if CPCs will increase, how CTR will change and which advertisers will win and loss from this change. Early feedback I am seeing is that CTR is sky-rocketing now for the ads, but that might change over time. The big data point we are waiting for is Google's earnings report, which will share some of this information.

The moderator at the WebmasterWorld forums shared who he thinks will win or loss with this change:

Winners:

• heavy ad testers, you no longer have to figure out if your sitelinks were showing, not showing, etc. The ads are now consistent.
  • people who have a bid system in place. It's easy to get into a bid war unnecessarily, and with fewer ad slots, its going to happen more and more; so those who let math dictate parts of their account over emotions are going to do OK; but they might get less conversions from search as they get fewer clicks
  • position 4 ads: The ctr on position 4 is skyrocketing. Depending on the keyword, position 4 is going to have a 400%-1000% CTR increase.
  • ecommerce: Expect to see more shopping ads on a consistent basis.

Losers:

• Aggregators: Often the large SMB premier partners want to show 'proof of advertising'; and having less ads on the page is going to make that harder. With fewer ad slots, those who are managing 10-20+ companies in the same geo vertical will have problems as there are less ad impressions to go around.
  • Low sophistication advertisers in competitive verticals: With fewer ad slots, advertising becomes more competitive, and those who are bidding just to show vs bidding for a business purpose are going to eventually run into issues.
  • Low margin businesses/arbitrage: The 1st page bids will be higher with fewer ad slots; so companies with thin margins are going to have a lot of words fall to page 2.

Unaffected:

• Brand based bidders
  • Niche companies
  • Any display & video campaigns
  • Primarily mobile advertisers. Mobile got another ad slot last year.

Do you agree?

Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.

• position 4 ads: The ctr on position 4 is skyrocketing. Depending on the keyword, position 4 is going to have a 400%-1000% CTR increase.

This makes a lot of sense to me. #4 is the new #1. It's the general location of where the old non ad used to be.

But this could be people like me who've grown accustomed to skipping the top of the page anyway to get away from the ads.

This makes a lot of sense to me. #4 is the new #1. It's the general location of where the old non ad used to be.

But this could be people like me who've grown accustomed to skipping the top of the page anyway to get away from the ads.

That could be part of it. I'm figuring the increase is largely just from being in the main column of results now versus being at the top of the sidebar. I think a lot of users had developed ad blindness to the sidebar.