Content Sourcing Nightmare.

mki

So I source lots of content to the various writing services, I usually don't read them very carefully because the plan is to heavily edit them anyways. I just make sure it's unique and not spun trash. Sometimes the writers don't really listen and I end up kind of morphing the article into something else entirely. You get what you pay for obviously here.

So I outsourced an article titled "High Protein Snacks" to iwriter (4 star elite level) and I only accepted it because it was way over length. I figured, hey whatever, I'm sure I can trim a usable piece of content out of this.

I was pretty specific and stated that I wanted a list of High Protein Snacks and a short article explaining why "they're a great idea."

Problem #1: This writer is so wordy it's ridiculous, it's not spun garbage but wow.

Problem #2: There's no list of snacks, it's all just about how high protein snacks are great. Yeah, cool, so morphing this article for sure! Now it's "Why you should eat high protein snacks."

Problem #3: There's 800 words and 5 paragraphs. Sigh.

Problem #4: The writer did include a very short list, but suggested fruit roll ups as one of the snacks /facepalm

I started trimming out some of the redundant sentences and words before I noticed.

I would just put the article in the recycle bin but I already started fixing it. This is absolutely the worst article I've ever actually accepted.

post-828-0-13593100-1456023517_thumb.jpg

Grow your online visibility

Holy turd, that article sucks! I outsource just about all of my content as well, and iwriter just sucks. I think I still have 20 bucks left in my iwriter account from way back when. To get somewhat decent content, I basically have a few different templates that I use to send the writer.

For iwriter, I make sure to give them 2-3 examples and use a very basic template that only says exactly what it needs to. I've found the more stuff you put in there the worse it is. You really just want the writer to think "oh great this will be super easy" since they really don't get paid much at iwriter and there's basically nobody at the highest tier. I also use it a lot to get research done with an ultra simple template: "In 300 words, explain this :article: and give a short description of the important concepts it teaches. If it is clear to me that you have not read the article, I will reject it." It's really easy to take that and glue it into an article, or expand it into a longer piece.

It's my least favorite service but it's fast and cheap. If you're willing to work with the content and build a list of writers who are good, it's not a bad service.

Whew.  I'm so glad that I am a pro so I can just write my own content.  However - - I have the same nightmare when I need to get a technician to do something, so I guess it evens out in the long run. 

I don't think I can physically handle writing as much as I source. I would lose my mind for sure. I can type about 75wpm consistently but the problem is my body, I already have a pile of wrist support devices to prevent carpal tunnel and other hand injuries. I'm not really at an age where this kind of this is normal either.

Just out of interest (not trying to sell here) - How much do you guys pay/are willing to pay for content? I have a couple of writers at my agency working full and part time, but I was thinking of getting them to do stuff for others as well as I don't really need as much content as they're producing. I'm just wondering how much is reasonable to charge per 100 words or whatever. The quality definitely beats what you get on iWriter's second-best tier, aka 'Elite' (not tried their Elite Plus).

I had an awesome writer that would do 500 words for $8

I had a really good writer I think I paid $20 also for 500

I have gotten $5 500 that has been hit or miss. Mostly miss.

The $8 guy was the best and could give me 5 articles by the next day or two.

He moved on to other things now and does not offer writing services.

Thos are just some I have used for you to gauge. I know a lot of good writers charge a lot more.

Just out of interest (not trying to sell here) - How much do you guys pay/are willing to pay for content? I have a couple of writers at my agency working full and part time, but I was thinking of getting them to do stuff for others as well as I don't really need as much content as they're producing. I'm just wondering how much is reasonable to charge per 100 words or whatever. The quality definitely beats what you get on iWriter's second-best tier, aka 'Elite' (not tried their Elite Plus).

It depends a lot. If I'm okay with working with the content and making improvements, 2.5 cents a word. If I'm hoping for publishable content 5-15 cents a word, if it must be publishable and I will not accept anything less 15-25 cents a word. If a lot of research is required, those rates are still cheap.

Honestly, I would have them start writing employee handbooks or something that you can use internally.

Ok, so I just got some content for a high quality infographic. 

What do you think?

This is the opening paragraph. 

It gets worse....

We tend to provide the best and a professional locksmith services. We are equipped with latest tools to offer all kinds of services for emergency locksmith including car door unlocking, residence unlocking and commercial unlocking. We are the experts in lock picking and fixing the trouble by the most relevant procedure that will make you hassle free from all kinds of upcoming threats of any miserable circumstances. 

Ok, so I just got some content for a high quality infographic. 

What do you think?

This is the opening paragraph. 

It gets worse....

We tend to provide the best and a professional locksmith services. We are equipped with latest tools to offer all kinds of services for emergency locksmith including car door unlocking, residence unlocking and commercial unlocking. We are the experts in lock picking and fixing the trouble by the most relevant procedure that will make you hassle free from all kinds of upcoming threats of any miserable circumstances. 

I can actually tell somebody from India wrote that. "fixing the trouble by the most relevant procedure that will make you hassle free from all kinds of upcoming threats"

Locks Inc is a dependable on-call locksmithing service with professionally trained and certified experts, who deliver top-notch work that is guaranteed for the lifetime of the lock.