Tell Us About The Greatest Revelation In Your Life That Challenged Or Changed Your Perceptions

Lanfear63

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

My sister is going to do that online thing where you get ordained or what ever it is, and then she and her husband are going to start the church of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

It's the new holy trinity. :lol:

I'm not sure there was any complete all in one mind flip moment for me.

When I was around 7 years old, I was sent to church one evening for a special presentation.

They decided to show an apocalypse movie (in the evening) at the the family babtist church. So of course by the end of the movie with all the "666" and fire and brimstone being shot around and people going to hell I was magically saved. :rolleyes: Somehow, there was never an appointment made for me to get babtized so those sins never got properly washed away. 

I remember getting dumped off at church on Sundays with my brother and sister. It was annoying to me to have to go on Sunday and I never quite paid attention to the main service that would happen after sunday school. My mind would wander elsewhere and all I wanted to do was be out playing somewhere or take a nap. It actually felt like torture sitting in the pew and waiting for it to get over so I could go home and eat.

A few years later I heard the church talking about how they were against "dancing" and being the ballerina I was at the time my faith in those fine babtists started going down the crapper. Here I was dancing all over the place and they for some reason had something against dancing. I just didn't get it.

Once my brother and sister were in college and it was just me, I didn't have to go to church anymore. Mom found some church services on the TV that seemed to fit the bill for her. This was good as I could stay home on Sunday and just hide in my room.

Years later in my freshman year of college I had a class called something along the lines of Revolutions in Western Thought. We were to take one of the first chapters of the bible and write a paper on it. It was actually the first time (and only time) that I'd actually read a full chapter from the bible. My paper in the end came out somewhat  anti god - as all I could see was how controlling god was like my own parents were. I got an A+. It was a bit of a conflicting moment when I wrote that paper.

To this day I avoid all religious and political topics - especially with family and super especially with the babtist side of the family. I think they'd be shoving religion down my throat at every turn if they knew about this "evil" paper I wrote.

I think church is good for some people - and possibly necessary for some to keep them out of trouble. But the bible itself has been hacked into so many pieces and translated so many different ways that for me to truly appreciate it I'd want to have every scroll ever found stuck into it and I'd feel obligated to learn the actual language the scrolls were written in to get a full understanding of what is really there.

If I had to try to classify my current beliefs I think it would fall into being a spiritual agnostic with a sprinkle of pantheism.

I was the complete opposite of you as a child.

One Sunday when I was about 5 yrs old, I saw a Sunday school bus drive by and wanted to be on it. I asked my mom if I could go. She said yes.

Sunday after Grama's church service was over, and she always went to the early service, she always made a huge breakfast for our family. Mom,Dad, my sister, myself, and my brother.

We cancelled it that Sunday so Grama wouldn't cook all of that food.

The next Sunday, I wanted to go as well, Mom said I could. But, when the bus dropped me off this time, My God Brother, son of my Godmother who lived two houses down, told me I had to go to his house because my family went to Grama's.  :o

I was shocked and my feelings were hurt.

But the next Sunday I went all by myself again, knowing my family would go to Grama's house again without me. I couldn't help it, there was just this internal pull to go and I just couldn't ignore it.

As for those baptists of your youth, there is nothing I despise more than churchgoing holier-than-thou strict, rigid people! No dance? Seriously? Way back there in the OT, there was "the arts" in the praise and worship, including dance. It was worshipping with your whole body, mind and spirit..

Grrr! Sheer ignorance!

Now you can understand why I don't associate with mainstream christianity.  :rolleyes:

What keeps people out of church? "Church people"!!

By the way, Jesus was angry with the leadership of the church temples back in his day too. (The pharisees and the Sadducees)

History does repeat itself, right?

Terra 

Seriously.  I don't remember the original.  I thought Manson's was the first.  

Well, I've heard 3 sing it now........and Manson's is still the best anyway.  

Excuse me while I wander off and find a thread with something I actually know something about is going on. 

Music ain't it, I guess. 

Alrighty then. I have never heard any of them and I don't particularly care for the despot one or whatever, lol!

But since we are on the subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejvcd-JeVCQ

Sal, I'm pretty sure you know this music.  ;)

Terra

What's Matthew McConaughey doing on the cover of the second album? ^^^^^^^^^^^