Sometimes feminism goes too far...

Mike Friedman

I expect the average moviegoer to either understand who the characters are or find out before they get all up in arms about something. And with roughly $4.2 BILLION in world-wide receipts for the franchise, I think it's safe to say that the public is aware of these characters, at least enough to understand the basic concept that a woman might just be as powerful as a man. http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/X-Men#tab=summary

A large assumption was made and the assumption is incorrect, at best; disputable at worst. Additionally, I'm pretty sure everyone, yes, everyone, is aware of the basic tenets of the superhero genre. Men and women are more equal in this genre (along with Sci-Fi and Fantasty) than any other genre. To automatically assume that a female superhero is a "victim" is ridiculous. To paint the average movie goer as some kind of drooling rube is, honestly, insulting to the American public. 

I will retract my usage of "feminists" - I was using the parlance of the thread - and replace it with "these idiots who complained about this without even remotely understanding what they were talking about".

I have watched most X - Men movies, so l immediately recognized the sexy blue, evil woman.

The other guy l have no clue, but assume that he is nastier than she is, and it looks like he is trying to choke her.

Every SH movie needs at least one sexy blue shape shifting woman in it.

:P

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

The advert isn't going to stop me from seeing the movie. Nor does it encourage me to see the movie. I wasn't going to see it and I still won't.

Today while browsing through the local Op Shop, I managed to pick up DVDs of All The President's Men and On The Waterfront for $0.25 each so I'm going to watch them now. After that I might re-watch Citizen Kane (I was inspired to do this because of another thread at another place). 

The advert isn't going to stop me from seeing the movie. Nor does it encourage me to see the movie. I wasn't going to see it and I still won't.

Me neither. It will just encourage my eyes to do some basic gymnastics, otherwise known as the roll.  ;)

Terra

The point of the ad is to provoke an emotional response, and the image lacks the context we have. We probably just disagree on this no matter how long we keep this up.

Again, I think you're expecting way too much. Some people may know the themes and how these modern stories are generally structured, but most simply don't.

Also, women in superhero movies haven't been in the lead roles that much in the past. And it's understandable because the movies follow the comics witch were marketed to much different demographic back in the day. Some of the more notable superhero stories are telling a story of a lone hero who's an outcast because of his powers, or perhaps the fact that his actions would put everyone around him in danger. As you (or someone else) said X-men is quite progressive in this sense. Of course this also stems from the comics themselves - the comic authors eventually started to incorporate social commentary, politics, deeper themes, and strong female characters. I'm not an expert on this, but I think this was a thing to do around 80's and 90's.

Yep, we're going to disagree on this as I remain steadfast that the ad contains context. Whether or not someone is aware on the X-Men specifically, they are aware of superheroes and the fact that a woman can be just as powerful, if not more so, than a man. There is an inherent equality in the genre that should dissuade the knee jerk emotional response of domestic violence in the image. 

Regardless of your position on women in superhero movies or film media in general (The X-Men films go back to 2000; Wonder Woman had her own TV show in the '70's), I simply disagree with your assertion that the average person is so vastly unaware of the basic superhero tenets that this is any issue at all. 

Again, I see Jack's point. However, if someone has such a visceral response to the image in the poster, that person probably has PTSD and needs to see a counselor. 

The assertion that this image depicts domestic violence actually weakens any progress the genre has made in terms of the advancement of women as strong characters. It's an argument that basically states that no matter how strong you make a female character, she will always be weaker than a male. It's a flawed self-fulfilling prophecy.

If the mere image of a female superhero in a violent situation is too much to bear, then surely the actual film footage will make the oppressed curl up into the fetal position. Maybe movie studios will decide they don't want to depict females in violent situations. You've now reduced the amount of female characters and rolled back any progress in the area. 

If the mere image of a female superhero in a violent situation is too much to bear, then surely the actual film footage will make the oppressed curl up into the fetal position. Maybe movie studios will decide they don't want to depict females in violent situations. You've now reduced the amount of female characters and rolled back any progress in the area. 

LOL, Dan!

My college professor always said exaggeration in writing and humorously stretching the truth, is what makes a piece more fun and entertaining to read.  :lol:

Terra

Today while browsing through the local Op Shop, I managed to pick up DVDs of All The President's Men and On The Waterfront for $0.25 each so I'm going to watch them now. After that I might re-watch Citizen Kane (I was inspired to do this because of another thread at another place). 

Opp shop, l have seen VHS videos for $1, some are crap quality, and some aren't.

True, since l had no clue as to who the guy strangling the blue woman was, it did little for me. But l was thinking twice about seeing it. But after certain remarks, l will go and see if if l am desperate for a theatre experience. Or being in a near empty cinema, with my choice of seating up the back in the middle.

And at least 5 rows from some %^&**%$ holding a Galaxy or Oversized iphone, seeing what their friends said about Sad cat in Facebook.

And p**** off everyone within a 10 metre radius.

This iphone pandemic is becoming cronic.

B)

That term SJW usually just reflects poorly on the person using it. Just saying. It's a shorthand for a silly straw man, that's all. It's perfectly fine to criticize anything and everything, but you should at least make and argument instead of bitching and moaning about some kind of imaginary enemy.

Perhaps the guys or gals at the helm actually thought that this was legitimate criticism on their ad? Not the movie itself, not the writing of the movie - simply a poster. You've probably seen how nobody in the industry bats and eye when some fundamentalist "family" group complains about movies. If this was completely ludicrous to the industry execs why on earth would they even react?

This guy is living proof as to why his own culture is so fucked up.

Nuff said.