Local Search 2.0: Google Begining Ads in Local Results

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

I've always thought the 3-pack was a stupid goal for businesses, just blends in with direct competition and Google is always messing with it. Aim for #1 organic and leave the 3-pack behind.

The OP link screenshot mockup could be way off If Google leaves the top paid spots as usual and simply includes extra ads directly inside the 3-pack...

• paid ads
  • organic spot
  • 3-pack + extra paid ads
  • organic spots
  • paid ads in footer

Keep in mind it's local so it might  be limited to mobile (If it ever happens). RIP Mobilegeddon.

I've always thought the 3-pack was a stupid goal for businesses, just blends in with direct competition and Google is always messing with it. Aim for #1 organic and leave the 3-pack behind.

The OP link screenshot mockup could be way off If Google leaves the top paid spots as usual and simply includes extra ads directly inside the 3-pack...

• paid ads
  • organic spot
  • 3-pack + extra paid ads
  • organic spots
  • paid ads in footer

Keep in mind it's local so it might  be limited to mobile (If it ever happens). RIP Mobilegeddon.

I have to strongly disagree with the idea of ignoring the 3-pack. The 3-pack is a huge boost for most local businesses. In most local searches now the 3-pack shows before any organic results. You used to be able to rank organic results above the 3-pack, but that pretty much never happens now.

Tons of people pick up the telephone when they see the number there and call without ever visiting the website. They never even look at the organic results. On mobile search even more so, with pretty much all smartphones having the click to call feature by default now.

In most local searches now the 3-pack shows before any organic results. You used to be able to rank organic results above the 3-pack, but that pretty much never happens now.

I see pages ranked on organic above 3-packs so I'm sure other people see the same pages ranking.

I see pages ranked on organic above 3-packs so I'm sure other people see the same pages ranking.

Not nearly as often as it used to be, and especially not on searches that are location specific. If you add a geo tag to most searches, the 3-pack will almost always be first.

Local pack is huge. I know of two law firms in my mastermind that get calls from the 3 pack daily. They're in low competition practice areas, in low competition cities. So it was stupid easy for them to rank in the local pack without any SEO help.

I never got around to fighting for it, and now maybe I won't.

Local pack is huge. I know of two law firms in my mastermind that get calls from the 3 pack daily. They're in low competition practice areas, in low competition cities. So it was stupid easy for them to rank in the local pack without any SEO help.

I never got around to fighting for it, and now maybe I won't.

If Google ups the ad count it'll be more competitive because it opens up another ad slot at the top of the SERPs for PPC folks currently sitting in the SERP footer. I'm sure any PPC ads would be at the top of the pack.