What Clients Want vs. What Clients Need

ShayB

I have a friend who has a marketing biz. She does websites, Social Media, SEO, etc., for small biz owners.

Her cheapest website (like rock-bottom price) is around $1200. 

But in our area, we have tons of people not willing (or able) to pay that. 

And that would be fine if she could find enough people willing to pay the prices that she asks. But she can't. 

I suggested offering a DIY class for biz owners to help them set up a website on Squarespace, weebly, etc. Charge enough so it's worth her while. 

But she won't. She says it's not what they need. They need better websites.

What are your thoughts on this? 

Grow your online visibility

I don't believe the part about there not being enough businesses that are able to pay $1200 for a website or for anything else that they really want for that matter.

Not to sound mean, but that is an excuse people make to rationalize low sales. It's not me. It's them.

The Squarespace and Weebly idea is not horrible because it will get people in, and they generally will realize they don't want to do it themselves, but Squarespace and Weebly do suck. She is right about that.

So if she doesn't want to do that, she could do the same idea around a social media marketing seminar or SEO. Anything like that to get them in the door.

I've done something similar around SEO and general online marketing for businesses. I partnered with an accountant. She lined up business owners that she knew fit into my target market (who knows their finances better than their accountant?), and she got to offer a free seminar to them as an added value for being her client. Win-Win

I don't believe the part about there not being enough businesses that are able to pay $1200 for a website or for anything else that they really want for that matter.

Not to sound mean, but that is an excuse people make to rationalize low sales. It's not me. It's them.

The Squarespace and Weebly idea is not horrible because it will get people in, and they generally will realize they don't want to do it themselves, but Squarespace and Weebly do suck. She is right about that.

So if she doesn't want to do that, she could do the same idea around a social media marketing seminar or SEO. Anything like that to get them in the door.

I've done something similar around SEO and general online marketing for businesses. I partnered with an accountant. She lined up business owners that she knew fit into my target market (who knows their finances better than their accountant?), and she got to offer a free seminar to them as an added value for being her client. Win-Win

I agree - there are plenty of people who are willing and able to pay higher prices, but she isn't able to find those people as clients. (Personally, I think it's a mindset thing and that she's looking in the wrong place for the clients she needs, but that's just my opinion.)

However, if faced with the choice of no clients vs. meeting the clients she comes across "where they are" in the process, why not make some money while helping them with a basic DIY site, all the while letting them know the difference between a DIY site vs. what she offers?

(Maybe I'm way off base, but oh well. LOL)

Why not partner with a lender that provides working capital business loans so you can break the $1200 up into smaller payments, example $1200 / 12 months = $100 per month. The web designer gets payed full amount upfront (ex: $1200).

That way the sales pitch becomes websites starting at $100 per month.

Why not partner with a lender that provides working capital business loans so you can break the $1200 up into smaller payments, example $1200 / 12 months = $100 per month. The web designer gets payed full amount upfront (ex: $1200).

That way the sales pitch becomes websites starting at $100 per month.

Wow! That is a very creative solution! I love that. :) 

Shay, I agree with Mike it's a mindset (or perception) that I too am guilty of quite frequently.

She obviously knows what her skills are worth and sounds confident enough to know; $1200 for a serious business owner is a drop in the bucket.

Offline, I would spend upward of $40k- $60k per year in operationg costs to invoice $100k- $120k annually.

The irony was, I had zero advertising budget, and ALL of my accumulative business expenses were tools, vehicle, insurance related costs.

Point being, conducting business requires investments of money, time, and knowledge. Anytime you source out those tasks to a true professional it costs money.

Like Yukon stated... if a business owner cannot afford $100 per month or quarterly investments a measly $300 per month... they are not seasoned business owners and she's marketing in the wrong playground!

As far as weebly, Wix, and all these hosted solutions, why rent when you can own?

As opposed to teaching people how to use freebie sites, why not offer up a WP course or teach people how to set up and manage their website(s).

While the pain points will always point to people crying broke (hell I am observing that camp in full costume right now, lol) there is no reason to stay there. In short, people who will not invest time or money...are not potential clients, they are generally leeches looking to be handed 10 years of experience, right now for what(?) $10...

Send em packing. Tell em BK's hiring, and the benefit packet is min wage, a name tag, a discounted meal, and they can;"have it their way!"

While I sincerely empathize for people who get stuck in the mindset they cannot afford to do greater things... it can be reflective of what they are willing to sacrifice, invest, and ultimately risk by accepting a different (often uncomfortable) path.

Now, I might be liken to those who feel it's necessary to "whip oneself into shape" as it can seem a credible notion to beat oneself up trying to serve the needy... been doing that my whole life.

But, if you play the role of the good samaritan and enable (certain types of) people to continually "run you over" after you fix-a-flat on their vehicle... chances are, you're helping the wrong people!

Therefore, your friend needs to hold steadfast to a minimum of $1200 (which is cheap to the right audience/business owner) my suggestion would be reevaluate where she is marketing, how she is marketing, and the packaging/message she's sending.

At times, I think my skill would be consulting, and I do the same thing..."oh, people are too cheap, nobody sees the value, etc.

In reality, the problem is not them (prospective buyers), it's the mindset (perception) of the vendor who devalues their products, goods, and/or services.

I would start with her and craft her marketing strategy, and raise the price...so when someone cries; "$2400 for a website" - drop the bomb and reverse engineer their main needs, and say; "you know what-- I'll do one better, give me 12 months to prove to my services pay for themselves...and I'll cut 50% off to earn your respect!..but, you have 48 hours to decide." yada...yada...yada...

PERCEPTION!!!

We all know most people don't know what they want, let alone what the heck they need... So, as "marketers" it's our job to deliver the solution. The greater emphasis on the'pain' the more likely she'll sign clients.

I was able to do this so naturally offline, and I got stupid when getting online, somehow I too believed the real world approach didn't work online. That's the bs we tell ourselves when we see so many offering dirt cheap services, and think we have to be in that camp!

If I were you I'd look closer at her current marketing message, and be willing to bet she's not convincing the client that by spending $100 that expense pays for itself!

If you know you're good at design it's not hard to deliver results. If a client realizes for every $1 they get back $3 (min.) they'll pay more!

Finding those people is not the problem... having them find her product/service is the objective... if positioned, packaged, and accompanied by a message of confidence in getting people results... Viola! They'll hunt her down and pay whatever she asks. Provided she's got the goods!

Maybe I need to start following my own advice, the problem isnt my audience either... It's me making excuses like Mike said above.

Besides...$1200 over a years time is a whopping $3.29 per day!

If a business owner cannot invest $3 a day, they can't even afford lunch at BK...

Use the math... People relate to simple math, especially if a dollar sign is flashing in front of them!

Just my.02

(Now I need to apply my theory, lol)

Sorry for the long post... struck a nerve, cause I am making the same mistakes.

I do agree with the statement that it's a mindset issue. There are clients that will pay what you're worth.

However, my aforementioned friend is firmly convinced that no one can afford what she's charging, so I was trying to offer some solutions. 

The more I talk it out, the more I think Mike is right on the money. She's trying to rationalize her low closing rate/sales.

Shay, just wanted to Thank-you for posting this, it lead me down a path yesterday doing some research and revealed a market I was already preparing materials for on a side project.

In short, if your post had not triggered my attention, I sincerely doubt I would have explored the path it lead me to...

Hint: Localized markets!

Shay, just wanted to Thank-you for posting this, it lead me down a path yesterday doing some research and revealed a market I was already preparing materials for on a side project.

In short, if your post had not triggered my attention, I sincerely doubt I would have explored the path it lead me to...

Hint: Localized markets!

I find working locally to work best for me. There are numerous advantages to starting local. You can always expand from there, but having a local base works well for me. :) 

Sounds like this web designer has such a firm belief that people in her area aren't willing to pay what she wants to charge that she's not willing to budge on that belief.

For my part, I have had such beliefs shattered again and again when I simply kept my eyes and ears open.  One potential client once told me that she couldn't afford my publicity fee... and then she hired someone else at double the price!

I've also had someone say they couldn't afford something, and then I find out about their Alaskan cruise vacation or their brand-new car.

And on the other hand, I've had people in a $2500 training program who were able to save up the money yet were still living paycheck to paycheck.

Really, it has to do with their priorities and her beliefs.

Marcia Yudkin

Sounds like this web designer has such a firm belief that people in her area aren't willing to pay what she wants to charge that she's not willing to budge on that belief.

For my part, I have had such beliefs shattered again and again when I simply kept my eyes and ears open.  One potential client once told me that she couldn't afford my publicity fee... and then she hired someone else at double the price!

I've also had someone say they couldn't afford something, and then I find out about their Alaskan cruise vacation or their brand-new car.

And on the other hand, I've had people in a $2500 training program who were able to save up the money yet were still living paycheck to paycheck.

Really, it has to do with their priorities and her beliefs.

Marcia Yudkin

Oh, I agree it's definitely a mindset thing with her. My suggestion that she try to offer a different service was to help her get some kind of money in, but she doesn't want to do that, either.  :rolleyes: