Riddle Me This, Marketers.....

ShayB

If you were moving 1000 miles away to a new (big) city, what would be the first 3 things you do to establish yourself and find a client in that area?

I'm moving in a few weeks, and would love to hear your ideas. :) 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

I'd get on the phone now, and get a client or two before the move. That way, you can hit the ground running.  There is absolutely no need to establish yourself. You establish your self by getting clients.

When I sold vacuums in people homes, I would move a few times. A few weeks before the move, I would;

Establish financing in the town I would be working in.

Place a few ads to hire reps.

Rent an office, (no need if you work alone)

Get maps to establish areas to work first.

Find out all about my local competition.

The first full day after the move, I would be working. My wife would be unboxing stuff at the new home...but I would be out working.

Some very rudimentary ideas, but since you asked:

1. Establish a mailing address somewhere other than where you will physically live, and not a USPS P. O. Box.  I use a UPS store's private mailbox, myself, but the main thing is to use an established company, not an individual who might get bored of the business in a year or two.  Tons of advantages, many of them obvious, some not.  Gives you tons of flexibility and security.

2. Your bank need not necessarily be local, (I use First Internet, myself), but at least get a feel for who has a relationship with a reasonable number of ATM's in the area.  At some point, you'll need cash.

3. Start reading the online versions of the local newspapers, and keep a map handy to get comfortable with local place names.

Whoops! Sorry. Book publishing clients. :)

I noticed my local community college pretty much allows anyone to create a class/course. I'm not sure on the specifics like who all gets payed (obviously the school gets payed). Either way it might be something useful to stir up leads.

This Google search might give you some ideas (self promotion, sub-niches, etc....) on what other folks are doing...

Even If you only break even teaching a class, it might still lead to upsells and new contacts.

Here's an example: Writing - Arapahoe Community College

I agree with finding out about banking.  You need a bank where you have a local branch - at least draw out enough to start an account with a local bank if you need to get a new bank. 

Then -- visit the local chamber of commerce and tell them what you do. They'll probably know about complementary businesses or have heads up about any good target groups for you.  From what I've read of your explanations of what you do.  Look for target group gathering spots - such as community centers, churches (Mormon churches are full of people interested in biographical literature).  

Then find the best hangouts for local traffic and - go hang out.  There's usually a local cafe, pub,  or diner where the waitresses or bartender can tell you about anything you might want to know about the local color. Have a drink (coffee is fine even if you park yourself in the local pub) and relax and talk to the locals.