Sign in to follow this  
HeySal

Importing SMF forum to BBpress?

Anyone know how to do this?  I have a forum that I am going to want to put on bbpress so I can turn my website into a WP site for easier management.  I know that my SMF can be imported, but have no clues how that's done. I am about as techie oriented as the average pet dog. (That's why I'm going to rebuild my site as WP - so I can manage the damned thing).  It's on a "partner's" server. I have to get the files - have no way to know how to hook them up on my own server, and just want to be able to rebuild the site to be functional again - and be able to manage it.  The only way I can see to do this is rebuild as wordpress - and importing that forum seems to be the answer to all of my problems on that issue.  

Anyway - does anyone know how to do this?  I need to talk to you. 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Both forums (SMF & BBpress) should be using MySQL databases.

I think BBpress even has an importer for SMF.

They do.  I have the instruction page bookmarked.........but I'm not a tech and I don't fully understand it.  I'm debating whether to try it  on my own or not.  If I screw up, my site is offline for God knows how long.  I can do what I want to on my own with most of that site - but this is not a new site so I can't risk experimenting with it. That's why I'm looking for someone who knows how already.

I don't think if someone knows what they are doing it will take more than a few minutes to do it.  I need to find out what it will cost - and if I need to upgrade my forum to a newer version first - and if I can do that without having to do anything special other than click a few buttons like installing a regular update......or if the forum can be imported to BBpress from a saved file or if it has to be taken live from the website using ftp or what - a lot of questions that I don't know. 

All of the forum software out there has importers that are pretty simple to use.

You could always test it on another domain to see if you can figure it out while leaving the existing one up.

That's what I did before changing this one from SMF to IP Board.

If you hire someone to do it, I would almost be tempted to make them do it on a test domain first to demonstrate that they do know what they are doing, unless you know and trust them.

How big is your forum (how many sub-forums and threads)?

Is the forum private?

How many pages on the old website?

The rest of the website is a moot point.  It's been screwed up so bad that half my sections aren't even live anymore - and there's hundreds of dead links.  I'm just going to copy and paste into an archive section or two what I want to keep up - and on WP I can build new pages etc as I want to.  So........the site was thousands of pages. Not sure how many with all the sections that are no longer working.  That's not a problem.  I can handle putting those on WP.  I have my theme and will do all the other work.  

The problem is purely and simply importing the forum.  27056 posts in 2,885 topics by 797 members.  There are categories and general topics I am going to cut out before exporting it so it will be a little smaller when it's exported, but not by that much.  I also may have to upgrade it before I can move it easily.  Not sure if the 10 year old version will be as easy to export as a newer version - but not sure what it takes to upgrade to a whole new version - if it's just a click of a button or backroom "rewiring".  

Who the hell would have ever thought being a writer would ever get this damned complicated. 

I did some research and this isn't a straight forward conversion from MySQL table (SMF) to MySQL table (bbPress) If you use the Wordpress bbPress forum plugin.

The bbPress forum plugin saves all it's forum threads in the wp_posts WP MySQL table/s.

I have Wordpress setup offline on WAMP and installed the Wordpress bbPress forum plugin, it's a simple WP plugin so that part is easy to install.

IMO the first thing you need to do is create a backup of your old SMF forum and export a backup of the MySQL file to your offline PC. That way you'll at least have a recent backup of the forum data. Images and attachments should be hosted in a file on your host.

I did some research and this isn't a straight forward conversion from MySQL table (SMF) to MySQL table (bbPress) If you use the Wordpress bbPress forum plugin.

The bbPress forum plugin saves all it's forum threads in the wp_posts WP MySQL table/s.

I have Wordpress setup offline on WAMP and installed the Wordpress bbPress forum plugin, it's a simple WP plugin so that part is easy to install.

IMO the first thing you need to do is create a backup of your old SMF forum and export a backup of the MySQL file to your offline PC. That way you'll at least have a recent backup of the forum data. Images and attachments should be hosted in a file on your host.

Sigh. Techs. I have no idea what you just said.  Are you telling me that if I save that forum on my computer the pics won't save with it automatically?  Remember - I also don't know if I can get my files.  I have to admin my wordpress from inside of my wordpress - the whole problem is I don't have access to the site's CP and have no idea whether I can get it. I've tried for awhile now. No response.  

I don't know anything about mySQL other than it's a word that goes back to a CP.   I am not a tech. I have no clue what I'm doing.  THIS is why I am looking for someone who knows how to do this stuff.  I bookmarked the instruction page and it doesn't make sense to me at points. I don't know what I'm reading.  I have been able to make sense of parts of this, but not complete enough to "get" enough of it to mess with it.  I am completely and totally lost.  That's how the site ended up on a "partner's" server.  They were supposed to take care of their end of the damned thing.  Now I'm just trying to figure out how to save the thing at all. And I'll be having to deal with it on my own once I figure out how to get it moved - so it has to be WP.  

None of what you just told me about how it exports means anything to me...........I still have the same questions I had before. 

Sigh. Techs. I have no idea what you just said.  Are you telling me that if I save that forum on my computer the pics won't save with it automatically?  Remember - I also don't know if I can get my files.  I have to admin my wordpress from inside of my wordpress - the whole problem is I don't have access to the site's CP and have no idea whether I can get it. I've tried for awhile now. No response.  

I don't know anything about mySQL other than it's a word that goes back to a CP.   I am not a tech. I have no clue what I'm doing.  THIS is why I am looking for someone who knows how to do this stuff.  I bookmarked the instruction page and it doesn't make sense to me at points. I don't know what I'm reading.  I have been able to make sense of parts of this, but not complete enough to "get" enough of it to mess with it.  I am completely and totally lost.  That's how the site ended up on a "partner's" server.  They were supposed to take care of their end of the damned thing.  Now I'm just trying to figure out how to save the thing at all. And I'll be having to deal with it on my own once I figure out how to get it moved - so it has to be WP.  

None of what you just told me about how it exports means anything to me...........I still have the same questions I had before. 

• How do you update anything on the site?
  • How will you prove you own the site/domain when transferring to a new host?

Images are going to be stored in a file on the host. The database will only contain text.

It's going to be difficult If not impossible for anyone to help you If they don't have access to the old forum database (host).

I update the forum (SMF) from the Admin panel in the forum.  I have access to that

I have access to the admin on my WP in there. 

My photo gallery is Coppermine and I have admin access to that. 

The HTML portion of my site is .com - the php aps are .net same URL otherwise

I do not have access to Cpanel or stored files. 

I love the host and got my new account with the same host.  My URLs are registered at Namecheap so I can provide proof they're mine  even if they have to verify with  Namecheap and I have to send them copies of my ID.  They're mine, so that doesn't even worry me. 

If I can get my files - and I probably can if I try hard enough - it won't matter because I don't know how to hook anything up anyway.  I figured I'd just copy and paste the parts of the site I want to archive, and copy all the pictures on the coppermine and put up a wp and put everything on WP (I have the appropriate theme) - then put the BB forum pluggin on it and import the forum.  I can just copy and paste the old WP posts on the new WP.  A lot of work, but doable. I'm going to drop half the site off anyway.   

So it's either work to get the files to transfer - and find someone to hook it all up, then just do what I want to develop it from there - or just make the new WP and start copy and pasting pages onto it.  

It sucks but that's where I am at right now.  

I guess you realize the 700+ forum members will be locked out of the new forum considering you won't be able to import the old database (users/passwords).

I guess you realize the 700+ forum members will be locked out of the new forum considering you won't be able to import the old database (users/passwords).

No I didn't realize that.  I thought I read that those would be still functional.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to use that solution. 

If I were to have the files from the site as it is now - and had those files installed on my server then changed over the forum - would it keep the logins then?  

No I didn't realize that.  I thought I read that those would be still functional.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to use that solution. 

You have to have access to the database, or at least a backup (offline) of the database.

Do you have a way to export all the data from your SMF admin?

[edit]

The user names and passwords are stored inside the MySQL database.

You have to have access to the database, or at least a backup (offline) of the database.

Do you have a way to export all the data from your SMF admin?

[edit]

The user names and passwords are stored inside the MySQL database.

Okay - well that clears things up for me right there.  I need to get my files and find someone who can install them on my own account for me.  There's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to figure out MySQL and PHP.  

Thank you so much for your time in conversing with me.  You just helped me completely clarify what I need to do.   First I will talk to my host about the situation - then I will find someone who can and will hook up the files when I put them in my hosting account.  Then I will get those files and move them to my server............................and then I will have all the time and access I want and need to redesign the site.  

Whew -- that is so much off of my mind I can't believe it. 

Big wet smooch coming at ya!