University of Florida offering around the Clock Counselling for those Students Offended and Traumatized by Haloween Costumes

discrat

Grow your online visibility

I think everybody needs to watch an ever increasing series of videos in high school similar to the faces of death series.

To desensitize them slightly.

So, for example, video one might be famous athletes that were killed while playing, leading up to historical executions.

If you are scarred by Halloween costumes, you really need to just sit on LiveLeak.com for a few hours every day until you just get over it.

I'm not saying they should be desensitized to the point of which I personally am; I can watch videos of decapitations no problem, it doesn't bother me to see a video of that.

But those videos where people climb to the top of a radio tower or something and then start doing pull ups off the side, I can not watch that...

F that... I need my safe space.

Dang, I remember being somewhere around 6-8th grade and, probably a Girl Scouts trip, watching a movie of people pulled from burning buildings, still alive, blackened and blistered, skin falling off, bloody. I was able to watch and remember I hated every minute of it. The funny thing was I never needed a safe space, medication or psychiatric help afterwards. Growing up, our yard was our only buffer against a very busy, 4-lane highway. You don't want to hear the gruesome details of the many deadly crashes.

Ha, just wait until the crybabies get out into real life where there are no real safe spaces set aside to shield them from real life. What happened to these kids now to need to shield themselves so thoroughly? They are going to be useless to help anyone that has an accident or figure out how to extricate themselves from difficult situations.

Unfortunately Breitbart didn't quote the whole article. It rather conveniently left out the opening paragraph which puts this in a rather different light.

October brings fall weather and Halloween. If you choose to participate in Halloween activities, we encourage you to think about your choices of costumes and themes. Some Halloween costumes reinforce stereotypes of particular races, genders, cultures, or religions. Regardless of intent, these costumes can perpetuate negative stereotypes, causing harm and offense to groups of people. Also, keep in mind that social media posts can have a long-term impact on your personal and professional reputation. The University of Florida’s Division of Student Affairs Diversity and Social Justice Statement reminds us that UF fosters a community that values and respects diversity. An inclusive definition of diversity recognizes the variety of personal and social experiences that make individuals and communities different from one another.

Read it for yourself: http://gatortimes.ufl.edu/2016/10/10/halloween-costume-choices-4/

Unfortunately Breitbart didn't quote the whole article. It rather conveniently left out the opening paragraph which puts this in a rather different light.

Read it for yourself: http://gatortimes.ufl.edu/2016/10/10/halloween-costume-choices-4/

Yeah I guess things can be debated.

For instance, some anti- PCers may  laugh or roll their eyes at a particular group being upset about a person dressing up in a Halloween costume carrying around a tomahawk , wearing a long black wig, an indian headset, markings on the face, yelling the battle cry with thier hands against their mouths etc.etc..

They say these people are too sensitive and to just deal with it.

But yet get a person putting on black makeup and afro wig pretending to be African American those same anit-PCers all of the sudden sing a different tune.

Me ?? I personally do not see why anyone needs to dress up in either of those two Contexts.

It's just stupid and ignorant. 

Of course as soon as anyone says that.... the Anit- PCers come out of the woodwork and are ready to pounce lol

But I will say this...they are right in the regard that we live in a Free Society so there is NO law against being stupid and ignorant. You might just get the shit beat out of you but it's still your Right   ;)

Yeah I guess things can be debated.

For instance, some anti- PCers may  laugh or roll their eyes at a particular group being upset about a person dressing up in a Halloween costume carrying around a tomahawk , wearing a long black wig, an indian headset, markings on the face, yelling the battle cry with thier hands against their mouths etc.etc..

They say these people are too sensitive and to just deal with it.

But yet get a person putting on black makeup and afro wig pretending to be African American those same anit-PCers all of the sudden sing a different tune.

Me ?? I personally do not see why anyone needs to dress up in either of those two Contexts.

It's just stupid and ignorant. 

Of course as soon as anyone says that.... the Anit- PCers come out of the woodwork and are ready to pounce lol

But I will say that we live in a Free Society so there is NO law against being stupid and ignorant. You might just get the sh@t beat out of you but it's still your Right   ;)

You came across as mocking the students in your first post and now saying they have a right to be upset.  Robert, are you sure you're not in politics?

This isn't about being PC or not being PC.  This is about people being able to handle disagreements.  We see a group, that seems to be increasing, who requires therapy whenever someone doesn't do what they want them to do.

You came across as mocking the students in your first post and now saying they have a right to be upset.  Robert, are you sure you're not in politics?

Nope incorrect, I was mocking the students for having 24/7 Counselling. Which is a bit overboard , imo.

But I do not (necessarily) disagree with them in being offended and upset

Big difference

Nope wrong, I was mocking the students for having 24/7 Counselling. Which is a bit overboard , imo.

But I do not (necessarily) disagree with them in being offended

Big diference

lol  You think people should be offended at a kid wearing a indian costume?  What about a cowboy costume?  Hell, I went as a pregnant nun one year.  Had a blast.  Luckily people weren't so wound up on nonsense back then.   I don't care if people are offended.  They choose to be offended and it's their problem.  

There is something that is happening to our kids to make them not be able to handle differences of opinion.   All this triggering and safe places is crazy.  Maybe the PC stuff is part of the problem?

lol  You think people should be offended at a kid wearing a indian costume?  What about a cowboy costume?  Hell, I went as a pregnant nun one year.  Had a blast.  Luckily people weren't so wound up on nonsense.   I don't care if people are offended.  They choose to be offended and it's their problem.  

There is something that is happening to our kids to make them not be able to handle differences of opinion.   Maybe the PC stuff is part of the problem?

Thomas, I believe we all have a right to be offended by anything we choose.  Doesn't mean people should automatically get therapy or have everyone come to their defense with some PC silly college law forbidding it.

It's a FREE society. I am with you on that. But if you are being offensive by  wearing black face and acting like a fool you most likely will not have to worry about some silly college PC Rules violation.

I'm pretty sure people will take care of business right there on the spot lol... It won't be no crying to the PC police ;)

P.S  I  like the pregnant Nun thing.Would have made it better is to carry a bottle of Jack Daniels or better yet  dress up as a Priest sucking on a sapphire or something :)

Thomas, I believe we all have a right to be offended by anything we choose.  Doesn't mean people should automatically get therapy or have everyone come to their defense with some PC silly college law forbidding it.

It's a FREE society. I am with you on that. But if you are being offensive by  wearing black face and acting like a fool you most likely will not have to worry about some silly college PC Rules violation.

I'm pretty sure people will take care of business right there on the spot lol... It won't be no crying to the PC police ;)

Violence isn't the answer.  Controlling your own behavior would be the better way.  You can't go around beating up people that disagree with you either.   ;) Unfortunately, these kids don't seem to be able to control their emotions.  The more people placate this behavior the worst it will be when these kids get out of school and realize they are not special snowflakes.

P.S. we're not talking about kids wearing indian costumes we'ree talking about adult college students

So? I don't see how it would matter whom is wearing the indian costume.

Violence isn't the answer.  Controlling your own behavior would be the better way.  Unfortunately, these kids don't seem to be able to do so.  The more people placate this behavior the worst it will be when these kids get out of school and realize they are not special snowflakes.

In my book violence is not. But that won't change for some people regardless of how altruistic you are. 

P.S  I  like the pregnant Nun thing.Would have made it better is to carry a bottle of Jack Daniels or better yet  dress up as a Priest sucking on a sapphire or something :)

I was drinking beer while wearing the outfit.  Too bad I don't smoke, it would have been the perfect picture.  haha    I do wonder how people would react to something like that these days.

Of all the manipulative bullshit I've ever heard of - this takes the prize.  

If a kid is actually that unstable that they can't handle Halloween - they need to be booted out of college and put in a mental institution. College is for adults that want to learn how to examine a diverse array of ideas. It's not for brats who think they can manipulate anyone to do anything they want by screaming wahhhhhhhhh.   Maybe it's time for kids to start being put into a year or two of mandatory ROTC. 

The whole point of Halloween is to be something you're not - to be able to fantasize a little bit. If someone puts on an Indian costume, that in no way says they don't like Indians.  You dress like the pope, it doesn't say you hate the pope.  WTF is wrong with people?  

Put on whatever you want for Halloween - be what you want for the night, no matter how unrealistic it is. If someone thinks it's their right to attack you for it.........surprise them with a nice ounce of lead.  There's no excuse to attack a person physically just because YOU can't handle something.   A few of these little attack dogs get plugged and the rest of em will snap out of that "wwwwaaahhhhh, I don't like that so I'm gonna hit you" manipulative crap real fast.  

How the hell can we allow a society of unbalanced or manipulative brats like we've got now have their own kids when they are still mutated little babies themselves?  

To see a college actually bend to this crap is just disgusting. Kick them out until they are ready to be adults. 

Of all the manipulative bullshit I've ever heard of - this takes the prize.  

Well said, Sal - WTF is wrong with people over there? When I was a kid (and later as an adult going to parties) we dressed up up however we wanted. Nobody got offended, nobody needed counseling and everyone had a good time.

Here in Greece we don't have Halloween, but we do have Carnival for two weeks. Kids and adults dress up - often in themes among groups of friends. One year, in a WWII theme, my wife did an awesome Hitler - got a best costume (and performance) award. It doesn't make my wife a Fascist or Neo-Nazi...it was just a funny idea that meant absolutely NOTHING. Hell, one year I did Bin Laden hiding in disguise as an Houri (a female dancer)...trust me, it was hilarious. And it meant NOTHING...

I'm not really anti-PC - I do think it's important we respect the rights of others and show compassion for their feelings, but there is a limit to that and such a thing called reciprocity. How about respecting my right to do something silly and stupid and more importantly, harmless? How about NOT reading too much into something I said or did because I thought it was funny? 

You really think that young man and woman dressed up as Indians conspired to make a derogatory statement about Native Americans? of course not....geez. 

Back in 2000, several things came to a head that led me to retire from corporate life - the last one of them related specifically to this kind of bullshit. 

I was in a management meeting and while we were waiting for the last couple of managers to arrive, my boss, the CEO asked me if I had heard any new jokes (I was definitely the class clown). Since the six of us present were all men, I told a couple of dirty jokes...we were all laughing our asses off, no big deal. Then, the last two people to arrive, ironically women, wanted to know what was so funny - we just sat there looking like guilty little boys and told them nothing, LOL. 

OK, so a couple of days later, I get called down to HR and the director gives me a lecture about sexual harassment and professional behavior (and a counseling form to sign). WTF? I pressed him as to where this was coming from as I'd always been well-liked and treated my colleagues respectfully. And I was pissed - it smacked of politics. 

Turns out, one of the managers at the meeting, a new HR rep in charge of benefits, decided to cover his ass and file a complaint over my "Jokes" and "Behavior" during the meeting. He neglected to mention that he was practically rolling on the floor laughing himself...but he was worried the two gals who came into the meeting late might be offended (they wouldn't have been - I knew them both well). 

True story - the only thing that saved my ass from any serious problem was that the CEO gave the order for the jokes. And the person who filed the complaint left abruptly a month later, but by then I'd had enough of corporate bullshit. 

Nobody here in Greece is PC and despite our government and economic problems, it's one of the things I like best about the people. They recognize when a joke is a joke and not an attempt to hurt anyone. Folks here understand when something is what it is and don't read anything else into it. 

If I might just add, I dressed up like an Indian one year because I am one!

My grandfather on my mom's side was full blooded Cherokee Indian. And you know what? My grandfather on my dad's side is English, French and Irish. He wasn't offended that I didn't wear a kilt. :rolleyes: 

Heck, one year I made my own costume and went as a tube of Crest toothpaste. All of the people who used Colgate and other toothpastes weren't offended. They even told me they loved the little pleated lampshade I wore on my head as the cap.

This world is getting out of control. And if people cater to the little sniveling brats, there's going to be so many regulations and laws, it'll be ridiculous! Don't tell me I can't eat spaghetti because you don't like the smell of garlic! That's where we're headed if this crap doesn't stop.

Besides, the way politics are right now in this country, who in their right mind would want to be "politically" correct anyway? :wacko: 

Terra