The Forum Has Been Upgraded

Mike Friedman

The forum has been upgraded to a new version of IP Board.

The version we were on was no longer going to be supported after March of next year, so it was time.

There are some processes going on in the background as part of the upgrade, so for a few hours, some things might look a little funky such as things within your profile and signatures. I'm told they should all be fine soon though.

The old skin of the site is not compatible with this version, so we are on the basic skin right now until I find something else to install.

Also, there probably will be a few kinks and hiccups to work out. For example, I see right now that none of the videos in the private forum area seem to be playable. I'm working on that.

Please bear with us as we sort out any issues. If you notice anything, please let us know. Give it a couple of hours though until the update is finished running.

Thank you for your patience.

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
24 minutes ago, gnojham said:

On mobile, looks like bar posts are showing up in recent activity. can we fix that asap? 

Edit: 'recent activity'is wrong wording,  'new content' seems correct. so bar stuff is showing up in new content feed

They only show up if you are logged in.

The upgrade has a new feature, so I won't be touching it.

Under Activity select 'Unread Content'. Then in the menu below go to 'Following'. There is an option that says 'Content items I am following'. Select that. Then select 'Save as new stream'. 

Now it will take a little work on your part... You visit the subforums you want to follow and hit the follow button at the top.

You now have your own custom stream to follow whatever topics interest you.

55 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

Under Activity select 'Unread Content'. Then in the menu below go to 'Following'. There is an option that says 'Content items I am following'. Select that. Then select 'Save as new stream'. 

Now it will take a little work on your part... You visit the subforums you want to follow and hit the follow button at the top.

so i have to go into every single forum except the bar and choose to follow them. i wish there was an option to choose what i didnt want to follow instead.

1 minute ago, gnojham said:

so i have to go into every single forum except the bar and choose to follow them. i wish there was an option to choose what i didnt want to follow instead.

Yes. 

Or just look at which subforums are bolded when you visit and that tells you where there is new content.

4 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

Yes. 

Or just look at which subforums are bolded when you visit and that tells you where there is new content.

so after all that, the recent topics on the front page still shows junk from the bar. this will always be like this? if its going to be like that, then i dont a stream. damn.

3 minutes ago, gnojham said:

mike, the stream thing doesnt appear to be working properly? i chose forums, created a stream, etc. but when i go to check my stream, it still says 'everything' rather than 'areas that i follow'

After you change it to 'areas that I follow' you have to save the stream. Box pops up on the right. Name it something, and then you have your own custom stream.

9 minutes ago, gnojham said:

so after all that, the recent topics on the front page still shows junk from the bar. this will always be like this? if its going to be like that, then i dont a stream. damn.

There is probably a module I can find and install that will change that. It's just not going to happen right away. Not a priority right now.

15 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I'm active on a couple of other forums running this version of IP Board. This is one of the cool features it offers that I love.

Also, you will notice in people's profiles now that it is almost like a Facebook feed. 

It is like they combined a social media platform with a forum platform.

I think most members are going to like this upgrade.

14 hours ago, gnojham said:

Turns out it was easier to fix than I thought. Found a drop down menu that just let me literally click what to include and what not to include.

All fixed up now.

I'm with John on the new look in my profile.  Now you have me thinking of a cover photo!  A lot more personal now!

Question, though... I have never understood the reasoning behind one's inability to post a photo without it being hosted somewhere.  I really don't understand the tech side of it, if someone could explain.  Why can't I just copy and paste a photo?  Curious, is all! 

On 11/12/2016 at 9:29 AM, Khemosabi said:

I'm with John on the new look in my profile.  Now you have me thinking of a cover photo!  A lot more personal now!

Question, though... I have never understood the reasoning behind one's inability to post a photo without it being hosted somewhere.  I really don't understand the tech side of it, if someone could explain.  Why can't I just copy and paste a photo?  Curious, is all! 

Because the forum says "NO!"

Actually, I don't even remember if it was an option in the back end or not. I'll have to go look again. My only fear with hosting images here is that the server space could get out of hand pretty quickly. That is why most forums do not allow it.

If you want something easy to use though... Lightshot is awesome. Desktop app that lets you take screenshots and host them "in the cloud". I don't think I had to actually sign up for an account with it even. Upload your image, go to the URL, right-click the image and copy the image URL. Done. 

It also lets you do simple edits on images. Arrows, boxes, text, etc.

And yes, John is right. This is much more of a social platform than you find on standard vBulletin forums as well as other popular forum software out there. I'm just curious to see if anyone uses the features.

Where's the user profile setting to turn off text formatting? I had it setup to be turned off, now it's turned back on after the update.

I know each post has a remove format button on the text editor but that's a pain to have to do all the time when one profile setting will automatically do the job.

10 hours ago, yukon said:

Where's the user profile setting to turn off text formatting? I had it setup to be turned off, now it's turned back on after the update.

I know each post has a remove format button on the text editor but that's a pain to have to do all the time when one profile setting will automatically do the job.

On the backend, right now the only option I can find is this one. Might be a feature they removed in this version.

d800202e23ab49f4b2326cd7c271d66f.png