A new way of getting past spam filters?

I really don't know what to think of this, or do about it. 

I am getting spam, mostly in my inbox, and I have to move it to spam.  However, when you try and "block" that sender, the message comes up "can't block, not a real email address".  *(Something like that).

The sender is using something like this:

<thank.you.bunch of numbers @ some website. another one.com>  It's the < and> that are making it false.  The only way to get rid of it, besides deleting it, is to mark it as a phishing scam. 

This is almost as bad as them spoofing your own email so you can't block them.  However, this one is new to me, and I don't get it.  Anyone here have any idea what the purpose of this is?  Besides what I said above?  How are they even doing this?  Frustrating!!!!! 

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

What email client are you using? 

Stupid live mail.  AKA:

msn.com

outlook.com

live.com

I have tried contacting them Mike, nothing.  I mentioned in another thread that I have been having trouble signing out.  I click "sign out" and sometimes, it just loops back into the inbox I was trying to sign out of.  SO FRUSTRATING!  I have had these accounts for so long, I hate to change them, should I just forward them, from the dreaded G mail? 

The account in question with my OP, is an outlook.com account.  MS has made so many new changes, including NOT being able to opt out of Skype (the list goes on), I'm just wondering what they're doing!????  I really don't get the < > in the senders address, though. 

From your description, it's probably a Live Mail issue and unless someone else here has had a similar experience as yours, there probably isn't much you can do about it. The only thing I can think of that might help is to create a rule that sends email from that domain straight to spam. 

I've been using Gmail since around 2004 or so (back then you needed an invitation to use it) and I've never looked back. Honestly, I don't really understand why anyone has a problem with them - I've used the same account for 12 years and I forward all my other email accounts to them...no problems. For the most part, their spam filtering works very well, and they offer a fairly robust set of features. 

I stopped using Microsoft's online services many years ago because they tend to "over Engineer" everything - that's find for Windows, but it doesn't always work out so well for web services as you've discovered. Not being able to opt out of Skype, while annoying to you, is a good positioning move for them...maybe, LOL. What I like about Google is they don't "Force" anyone to use their various products - you can use just one, all of them or a blend of them and they're all connected. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I do hope you consider Gmail :)

Thank you Mike.  The more hassle I have with this, the more I am considering it.  My frustrations are just not worth it.  I forgot to mention that because of their forced Skype, they forwarded, or forced, over 100 unknown contacts into my phone contact list.  Everyone I have emailed (like a one time email), their Microsoft sync something or other.  If I shut that off, I don't get any email notifications.  They stuck the unknown contacts at the beginning of my contacts list, so I have to scroll through all of those first!!!!!!!! ...

I think you're right Mike... time to go to Gmail.  Thanks for helping!! 

I was a long time hold out on Gmail. I did not like the feel of it. I was a Yahoo user and liked their layout and folder structure better.

I had a Gmail account for the past 10 years or so. Barely ever used it. 

About 18 months ago I was getting sick of how flooded my Yahoo account was with spam and made the switch. Felt a little uncomfortable for a few days, but now, I would never go back.

They are so much better at keeping spam out.

Thank you 100, I just created an account that I can forward everything to.  Yahoo, and why I have been hesitant with gmail, those emails are a lot of the spam I get.  At this point, one has to kind of go with the biggest company. 

I have no idea what Microsoft is trying to do, but it's disturbing. 

1 hour ago, Khemosabi said:

Thank you 100, I just created an account that I can forward everything to.  Yahoo, and why I have been hesitant with gmail, those emails are a lot of the spam I get.  At this point, one has to kind of go with the biggest company. 

I have no idea what Microsoft is trying to do, but it's disturbing. 

You won't regret it. I made the change to Gmail a couple of months ago. I was using Outlook. I liked it, but it was just a massive pain in the ass in keeping out spam. I have 5 different email addresses being dumped into my master Gmail account now. With the filters and labels that you can setup, it is pretty easy to keep it organized. My inbox looks like a xmas tree.

My email feels so much simpler though.

bdb0c34a59484acda3df214a2f0b0370.png

8 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

LOL.... WF and the big red tag "Crap"... hahahhahahaha...

I will start moving stuff tomorrow.  Thanks Mike, I didn't want to give up, I've been with them for so long.  I can't take the frustration any longer. 

Lol.... I was looking through the senders to make sure there was nothing I didn't want seen in there. Forgot about some of my labels. Ha. That was not intentional.

Theresa, another Gmail user here and I love it! When I had my websites up all of my email was forwarded to gmail and that was so nice. The emails are categorized for you with labeled tabs, like Mike has shown up above, and that is convenience to the nth degree.

I do highly recommend them.

#taketheplunge

Terra ;)

37 minutes ago, Terra said:

Theresa, another Gmail user here and I love it! When I had my websites up all of my email was forwarded to gmail and that was so nice. The emails are categorized for you with labeled tabs, like Mike has shown up above, and that is convenience to the nth degree.

I do highly recommend them.

#taketheplunge

Terra ;)

Terra, LOL your hash tag! 

Question about Gmail, I seriously don't know why I can't wrap my head around this, but, who actually filters the spam from one account (MS), and Gmail?  Also, does the spam folder in MS migrate over as well?  Sometimes important emails get in the spam folder, I can't afford to miss those!

MS likes to decide what they think is going into junk.  For instance, some things I actually subscribe to, even though I may not open them for a while, get thrown in junk, because I didn't open them right away!  Yet, crap that I mentioned above, gets right in! 

Mike, I hope this is allowed, but I really wanted everyone to see what I'm talking about.  Here is one example of what I've been referring to:

"Dr. Oz Newest Fat Burner" <"<info.qckLv47z1B5X@seconds-and.fulimbecile.com>">

What are "they" trying to accomplish here?  Is it the tags that render it "not a valid email address", so I am unable to block it?  Funny, it's from full imbecile.. LOL! 

6 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

Question about Gmail, I seriously don't know why I can't wrap my head around this, but, who actually filters the spam from one account (MS), and Gmail?  Also, does the spam folder in MS migrate over as well?  Sometimes important emails get in the spam folder, I can't afford to miss those!

MS likes to decide what they think is going into junk.  For instance, some things I actually subscribe to, even though I may not open them for a while, get thrown in junk, because I didn't open them right away!  Yet, crap that I mentioned above, gets right in! 

I'm not sure about your first question, perhaps someone with more techy experience can answer that one. But as to your second question, gmail is trained by the whole community. So if some people mark a particular email as "spam", or" phishing attempt", it will automatically go into the spam folder.

You also get to train your account by the actions you take. For example, if something is put into your spam folder, you can mark it as not spam and emails from that sender will no longer go into the spam folder.

You can also train it what to not put in the other folders and have email from that sender sent directly to your inbox. So, say if you want to see all emails from a sender that was put into your "promotional" folder, you click send to inbox and wella! Done.

Terra

19 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

In Gmail, you can set rules to ensure that email from trusted addresses never get filtered as spam. As to what get's forwarded from MS, I would assume that you can do something similar, i.e.; set a rule to forward all email and let Gmail sort it out. 

19 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Mike, I hope this is allowed, but I really wanted everyone to see what I'm talking about.  Here is one example of what I've been referring to:

"Dr. Oz Newest Fat Burner" <"<info.qckLv47z1B5X@seconds-and.fulimbecile.com>">

What are "they" trying to accomplish here?  Is it the tags that render it "not a valid email address", so I am unable to block it?  Funny, it's from full imbecile.. LOL! 

When scripts set the headers for email, they set the from address (and reply to, etc.) like this:

From: "BIG Mike <michalis.kotzakolios@gmail.com>" - the LT and GT symbols tell email clients that it's the actual email address so they can display the sender Name as BIG Mike and link it to the email address. By adding the extra <"<...>">, it ends up looking like a bad email address. 

Rather than prevent you from blocking it, MS should have rejected the email completely as a bad sender. Go figure...

2 hours ago, BIG Mike said:

When scripts set the headers for email, they set the from address (and reply to, etc.) like this:

From: "BIG Mike <michalis.kotzakolios@gmail.com>" - the LT and GT symbols tell email clients that it's the actual email address so they can display the sender Name as BIG Mike and link it to the email address. By adding the extra <"<...>">, it ends up looking like a bad email address. 

Rather than prevent you from blocking it, MS should have rejected the email completely as a bad sender. Go figure...

Thanks Mike.  That makes perfect sense.  I think the most insulting thing is they end up in my inbox, not my spam folder.  Anyhow, I'm messing with Gmail.  I think once I get used to it, I'll be happy.

Thank you to all that pitched in. :D

On 11/14/2016 at 8:52 AM, Khemosabi said:

I hate to say this, but my bet is on each service doing its own filtering.  I actually have the same issue with one of my Gmail accounts that forwards email to another, where I have to check two Spam folders.

I figured they would David, that's what I'm worried about.  Darn it.  I think my only option is to have a safe sender list, forward that to gmail  and just keep checking my MS mail here and there.  I don't know, this whole thing with their changes has me so angry!

Ha, and to make my stuff even more frustrating, Verizon did some weird update and my cell phone has been acting wonky all day! 

Stupid technology, making our lives better?  PPFFFTTT!!