Does Anyone Else Watch Vice News Tonight?

Mike Friedman

I like some of the longer documentaries Vice has done and recently decided to give this show a shot. It's on Mon-Fri on HBO. It's about 25 minutes long most nights. It's awesome. It's more of what our news reports should be. 

Basically it is just a rundown of "here is what is happening". No real left/right bias. No anchor at a desk. No panels of talking heads shouting over one another. There is just a narrator and a few correspondents here and there.

The closest thing to any bias I have seen was a few minutes where they were talking about Trump's recent lashing out at the intelligence community over this Russian hacking thing. The correspondent basically said, "We talked to a few existing and former intelligence officals, and here is what they said..." If you are a fan of Trump, none of it was good. But again, it really wasn't bias. They didn't follow it up with their opinion. The didn't agree or disagree with it. They just relayed what they said. 

Grow your online visibility

So they report news they have no proof of - yet fail to mention the Russian connections of the other "candidate" which there is tons of proof of..............yet it's good unbiased news because some paid off dipstick isn't giving their opinion?  

Okay. Whatever.  If that bill against fake news goes through, they're opening themselves up for a class action lawsuit.

That's what happened in the first place.  In 2003, the news lied to us real bad (gave us scripted propaganda) and when they were taken in to be sued for it, the judge decided it was perfectly legal for the news to lie to us.  This, of course, was right after the last consolidation of outlets.....in other words.....they ruled for gov/corporate cooperation instead of the public. If this bill actually goes through - they'll get sued properly for this crap. 

I said nothing of the sort. You are making stuff up.

I said that the closest thing I have seen to reporting with any bias was in their reporting of Trump bashing the intelligence community about the Russian hacking thing. They weren't reporting on Russian hacking. They were stating what Trump said about it, and what some current and former intelligence officers had to say about his comments. That was it.

There is also such a thing as propaganda through omission... Things that the news shows choose not to report are just as important as the things they do.

Which is another point for Vice News... They cover a lot more ground with their [relative] "Just the facts, Ma'am" style because there is less time spent on the nonsense of the talking heads.

On 12/16/2016 at 11:33 PM, MikeTucker said:

There is also such a thing as propaganda through omission... Things that the news shows choose not to report are just as important as the things they do.

Which is another point for Vice News... They cover a lot more ground with their [relative] "Just the facts, Ma'am" style because there is less time spent on the nonsense of the talking heads.

Exactly. They cover more in 25 minutes than you will see covered on FOX News or CNN in 3 hours.