Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The AMOL

PFC Big Frank - Fifty Years Ago.

Recommended Posts

Was digging around in some old boxes last week and found this photo which was taken while serving in Germany That was 50 years ago. Seems like yesterday. I was 18 and you can still see my acne.

Please observe the line of the uniform running from the top button to the bottom of my crotch. That, my friends, is how it's done, when you take pride in the uniform. Additionally, the starch in that uniform made it like plywood. I was rewarded for the way I wore my uniform by getting out of guard duty, almost always.

I didn't like the Army all that much, but I took great pride and loved being a soldier.

Frank

P.S. The reflection from that belt buckle would give you 3rd degree burns. lol

frank_pfc_sw_2_zpsxuevjykl.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SEMrush

55 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Frank; Thanks for sharing that. I feel sorry for the handsome young man, whose photo you obviously stole. 

What were you like back then? Have you changed over the years? attitude, perceptions, temperament? 

I'll need to ponder that overnight in order to give you an honest opinion on those traits.

Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The AMOL said:

Please observe the line of the uniform running from the top button to the bottom of my crotch. That, my friends, is how it's done, when you take pride in the uniform. Additionally, the starch in that uniform made it like plywood. I was rewarded for the way I wore my uniform by getting out of guard duty, almost always.

That is so cool.

Gotta figure also that ifya proud stance was compromised by ... uhm ... handcuffs ... I would want 'em to be gleamin' like sum emperor's crown.

At risk of drawin' out the very worst knob joke chortles, gotta askya — what is that long pointy thing in the background?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The AMOL said:

Was digging around in some old boxes last week and found this photo which was taken while serving in Germany That was 50 years ago. Seems like yesterday. I was 18 and you can still see my acne.

Please observe the line of the uniform running from the top button to the bottom of my crotch. That, my friends, is how it's done, when you take pride in the uniform. Additionally, the starch in that uniform made it like plywood. I was rewarded for the way I wore my uniform by getting out of guard duty, almost always.

I didn't like the Army all that much, but I took great pride and loved being a soldier.

Frank

P.S. The reflection from that belt buckle would give you 3rd degree burns. lol

frank_pfc_sw_2_zpsxuevjykl.jpg

 

Sorry Frank some photos are beyond repair!

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The AMOL said:

Please observe the line of the uniform running from the top button to the bottom of my crotch. That, my friends, is how it's done, when you take pride in the uniform. Additionally, the starch in that uniform made it like plywood. I was rewarded for the way I wore my uniform by getting out of guard duty, almost always.

 

LOL - in the Navy that was called a "gig line". 

50 years huh? Well, you're older than I thought :o

Thank you for your service Frank. Truly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikeambrosio said:

LOL - in the Navy that was called a "gig line". 

50 years huh? Well, you're older than I thought :o

Thank you for your service Frank. Truly.

I have thanked Frank for his service many times. This is before I found out that he was in the military.

Frank served in the Army, but so far, he never said for which country. If you look really closely, you can see the spires of the Kremlin in the far background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I have thanked Frank for his service many times. This is before I found out that he was in the military.

Frank served in the Army, but so far, he never said for which country. If you look really closely, you can see the spires of the Kremlin in the far background.

In those days he was know as Big Red Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whateverpedia said:

I always thought he served in the Salvation Army. Or was it that they served him?

No, the Salvation Army is for wimpy soldiers who cant handle the real thing. That's why they publish The War Cry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I think it's why they called the years before you were born, The Golden Age.

(obvious joke, wonder if you'll see it)

I don't get the joke, but you just reminded me of an awesome song that I haven't heard in years...

Terra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Terra said:

I don't get the joke, but you just reminded me of an awesome song that I haven't heard in years...

The joke is embedded in my comment. It's meant for Dan or maybe Mark. I know that they can extract the joke from my comment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

The joke is embedded in my comment. It's meant for Dan or maybe Mark. I know that they can extract the joke from my comment.  

A global impossibility for most of your posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dan Riffle said:

I think Claude was making a comic book joke. Or I missed it myself. 

Well if it's about comic books and the golden years, then I have a comic book that fits my being perplexed...

9137272dfd1f07a53007cb60cc2447d9.jpg

Terra ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dan Riffle said:

I think Claude was making a comic book joke. Or I missed it myself. 

Yup. The Golden Age of Comic Heroes. I never said it was a great joke.

After my last post, mentioning Mark, I forgot that he was a Brit, and comic book heroes aren't really a thing with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.