Born Writers VS People Who Write Well

Terra

8 minutes ago, HeySal said:

you aren't always going to know if the person writing was a stoic or  not.  Some writing is boring 

Ok, we can agree to disagree on that. I say that because the adjective stoic describes any person, action, or thing that "seems" emotionless and almost blank. So if it  "seems" emotionless to me, it's stoic to me ;)

Terra

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes

Of course, I was at the junior college level and not the 4 yr University level and there is a difference there.  

I actually preferred the community college students, who were mainly working adults, and not the students I taught at one of the Seven Sisters colleges and a top private university, who tended to be too pampered, boring, superior and self-satisfied for their own good.

The community college students I taught were just as intelligent as the 4-year students I taught, they were just poorer and more hard-working.

2 hours ago, Terra said:

Ok, we can agree to disagree on that. I say that because the adjective stoic describes any person, action, or thing that "seems" emotionless and almost blank. So if it  "seems" emotionless to me, it's stoic to me ;)

Terra

We all have our personal preferences. It's good that there is talent that represents at least most of them. 

1 hour ago, marciayudkin said:

I actually preferred the community college students, who were mainly working adults, and not the students I taught at one of the Seven Sisters colleges and a top private university, who tended to be too pampered, boring, superior and self-satisfied for their own good.

The community college students I taught were just as intelligent as the 4-year students I taught, they were just poorer and more hard-working.

Makes sense. Unfortunately, at Mott, where I worked, many of the students were on grants and would just flunk out of everything because they were only there because they were supported to be there. While I get a few enthusiastic and talented students, many of them took the classes solely because they thought they'd be easy ace classes. I had one student complain to admin about me once because I flunked her - for the bogus reason that she never turned in an assignment, and couldn't make over a D on tests -- and I knew damned well she'd lose her grant if she flunked so I was just vindictive bitch that hated her. LOL. That was the whole topper on why I just said forget it and left the field.