Another kind of writers block

Khemosabi

1 hour ago, Khemosabi said:

I found it funny that a salesman, selling how to sell, was poo-pooed.  You'd think they'd want to learn something!

Hahaha! Yeah, I didn't think of it that way.

I'm wondering if the authors there are self publishers, you know, rather than getting something published by a publishing house first, then formatted for sale on e-readers or Amazon is just for kindle, I think.

Anyway, I was just wondering that because I can't see Stephen King or J.R. Rowlings or James Patterson hanging out in the Amazon author's forum or if they were, saying something like that.

Terra

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
30 minutes ago, Terra said:

I'm wondering if the authors there are self publishers, you know, rather than getting something published by a publishing house first, then formatted for sale on e-readers or Amazon is just for kindle, I think.

Anyway, I was just wondering that because I can't see Stephen King or J.R. Rowlings or James Patterson hanging out in the Amazon author's forum or if they were, saying something like that.

Terra

That was my thoughts Terra.

Many folks on public forums like that, want to appear as a guru, expert of sorts.  It's self promotion and way worse than adding a link in your review. 

19 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

I found it funny that a salesman, selling how to sell, was poo-pooed.  You'd think they'd want to learn something!

But the vast majority of authors never think of themselves as marketers or salespeople. Inventors are the same. Authors think that the books should sell themselves. I get it. Writers are almost never promoters. It's a different mindset..especially for fiction writers.

18 hours ago, Terra said:

Terra

On Amazon, you can self publish your books on Createspace. The books look great, and are printed one at a time, as they are sold. Lots of great books are published on Createspace. In fact, you can use Createspace to publish your books on Amazon, and create your own publishing business (with a separate name)... so nobody knows Createspace published your book.

The only disadvantage of using Createspace instead of a traditional publisher, is that there is no bookstore selling, and Amazon only markets your book on Amazon, although you can also use B&N and other online book sellers.

About the forums on Amazon...so far, I've received great advice from the contributors there. I don't think they promote themselves there. They are there to help, just like 99% of people writing book reviews do it out of the love of books, and wanting to share their experience and help others make a better choice in reading.

For example, I write lots of reviews for books that have nothing to do with selling, just because I enjoy reading and commenting on the books. It's only the books on selling, that I'm reviewing partly to help sell my own books.

11 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

On Amazon, you can self publish your books on Createspace. The books look great, and are printed one at a time, as they are sold. Lots of great books are published on Createspace. In fact, you can use Createspace to publish your books on Amazon, and create your own publishing business (with a separate name)... so nobody knows Createspace published your book.

The only disadvantage of using Createspace instead of a traditional publisher, is that there is no bookstore selling, and Amazon only markets your book on Amazon, although you can also use B&N and other online book sellers.

Yes, I do know this but have decided going the traditional route would be better for me. I guess I just want to stick with what I already know and found to work although it's been a few decades, lol! ;)

Terra

4 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

But the vast majority of authors never think of themselves as marketers or salespeople. Inventors are the same. Authors think that the books should sell themselves. I get it. Writers are almost never promoters. It's a different mindset..especially for fiction writers.

At least you're aware of the disconnect.  Artists are the same. They reject commercial graphic artists, too. 

If it makes you feel any better - writing for marketing takes much more consciousness of word usage and semantics that fiction does. A fiction writer may be forgiven for being vague or annoying  in one or two spots if the story is good. The marketer that misuses a word or conveys a wrong image usually isn't.  

So no - your job isn't like the average writer. It's a little harder.