Sign in to follow this  
Terra

When writing, do you indent your paragraphs?

It just dawned on me while going over some of my work that I'm not indenting new paragraphs, lol!

I just have blocks of text for paragraphs separated by double spacing. I'm thinking it's because of all of the writing I've done for the web. I've just got so used to not indenting, that I haven't been.

Ah well, it's an easy fix if need be.

When you're writing, are you indenting your new paragraphs or do you write your paragraphs in blocks of text too?

Terra

SEMrush

18 minutes ago, kay king said:

I haven't indented paragraphs for years and years.  Blocks work just fine.

Kay,

I'm writing a series of children's books for print publication. I didn't mention that in my OP because I've discussed it before here in the guild.

The reason I've asked is because everything I read in print from books to magazines to newspapers, have indented paragraphs.

Terra

I never indent - but mostly wrote technical manuals back in the day and they weren't required. Hypocrite that I am though, I make my students indent as it's required for their exams. 

1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

I never indent - but mostly wrote technical manuals back in the day and they weren't required. Hypocrite that I am though, I make my students indent as it's required for their exams. 

LOL Mike!

I wouldn't call you a hypocrite, just a proper manuscript writing instructor. ;)

Here's something I found amusing from "Butterick's Practical Typography"

First-line in­dents and space be­tween para­graphs have the same re­la­tion­ship as belts and sus­penders. You only need one to get the job done. Us­ing both is a mis­take. If you use a first-line in­dent on a para­graph, don’t use space be­tween. And vice versa.

Obviously, this is not for web copy. Anyway, I just liked the analogy used here.

Terra