Sign in to follow this  
Terra

I'm so excited, I just have to share this with fellow writers!

I don't know if you read my post a while ago when I spoke of having some children's stories published about 30 years ago under a pen name, or not. But I did say that my mother-in-law is the one who helped me get them published.

Backstory finished, lol! Jump to present day...

Who Hoo! I'm so excited!

Okay, so my mother-in-law  is a retired school teacher now. I let her read the stories I have written thus far. She said she thought I would be successful with these stories too, that they were funny and kids would love them! She said she could just see her children reading them in the classroom and loving them. I asked her if she was just saying that because I'm her daughter-in-law.

She promised that she wasn't. Then she told me that the dinner where she and her other retired school teachers friends got together periodically was coming up and asked if she could take my stories and show the others. I said, Okay and printed them out. She took them with her and told me that she wasn't going to tell them that I was related to her at all. She said she would just tell them that a lady friend of hers was writing children stories and wanted to know if they thought the stories were good enough to be published and that she wanted their opinion. That's it.

Well, the dinner was last night and she just called and told me that they loved them and thought the children would too. They thought they could be a big hit with the kids in a series like the BoxCar Kids. OMFreaking Gosh!

Whoo Hoo!!

I am so excited! 

Now, I do understand that they could be wrong too, but there is nothing like encouragement and excitement to spur you on. I've just added tons more story ideas to my story idea list in my stories folder and I'm thinking to myself...You know what? Even if they aren't a hit, the stroll down memory lane and the memories of my childhood and family is well worth it. When I'm lost in remembering, it's like my mom and dad are still with me in a more innocent time and there is nothing worth more than that to me.

It's time to sing "Happy" again, lol!

Terra

SEMrush

That's terrific news, Terra.  

What were the stories you did 30 years ago?  I might read one some time when I got to the library.  Yeah - I'm old fashioned and stupid. I still go to libraries. LOL.  Anyway - I'd love to see a sampling of Terra telling stories to kids. 

6 minutes ago, HeySal said:

That's terrific news, Terra.  

What were the stories you did 30 years ago?  I might read one some time when I got to the library.  Yeah - I'm old fashioned and stupid. I still go to libraries. LOL.  Anyway - I'd love to see a sampling of Terra telling stories to kids. 

I wrote 5 short "board books" and they were The Little (Animal) In The Big Woods. The animals were bunny, bear, squirrel, deer, and possum.

They were geared for toddlers as that is what I had at the time. They were about these baby animals discovering their surroundings when they were brand new babies in the springtime.

The stories I'm writing now are much longer and geared for older audiences. I was thinking about a story per book as a series, but am seriously considering chapter books as the series with 10 stories per book.

I am having such fun writing these. :D

Terra

7 hours ago, Terra said:

I wrote 5 short "board books" and they were The Little (Animal) In The Big Woods. The animals were bunny, bear, squirrel, deer, and possum.

They were geared for toddlers as that is what I had at the time. They were about these baby animals discovering their surroundings when they were brand new babies in the springtime.

The stories I'm writing now are much longer and geared for older audiences. I was thinking about a story per book as a series, but am seriously considering chapter books as the series with 10 stories per book.

I am having such fun writing these. :D

Terra

So were you also a big fan of Wind in the Willows when you were a kid?  Are animals also your central characters in your work now? 

9 hours ago, HeySal said:

So were you also a big fan of Wind in the Willows when you were a kid?  Are animals also your central characters in your work now? 

I liked Wind in the Willows, I wouldn't say I was a big fan though.

No, lol, unless one considers me an animal, haha! :lol:

But why all of the questions?

Terra

Terra, I think it's great that your books (or going to be books), had such positive response!  It's pretty scary when someone reads your work, especially when it comes to something for children.  It's especially motivating when adults think your work is really good and you should publish it!

I've always wondered if I could write children's books.  Then, I can't get the ink out of my printer to change it without ending up looking like a Care Bear tagged me. 

6 hours ago, Terra said:

I liked Wind in the Willows, I wouldn't say I was a big fan though.

No, lol, unless one considers me an animal, haha! :lol:

But why all of the questions?

Terra

Just find it interesting is all.  Don't really have any other questions about it.  I asked Theresa questions, too.  We yacked about it a little bit.   Of course, I know nobody is going to spill everything about their work, and I don't expect that, but some things about the angle which people are writing from when it's not expository writing I find just plain interesting.  I have no explanation for that interest, lol.  

27 minutes ago, HeySal said:

Just find it interesting is all.  Don't really have any other questions about it.  I asked Theresa questions, too.  We yacked about it a little bit.   Of course, I know nobody is going to spill everything about their work, and I don't expect that, but some things about the angle which people are writing from when it's not expository writing I find just plain interesting.  I have no explanation for that interest, lol.  

I think I said before that I was writing the adventures of little Terra as a child. Of course that's not the name I'm calling the series and I'm not using my name either. I have fictitious names for all involved but the stories and adventures are based tightly on my childhood. I have changed my name to protect the innocent and guilty at times, lol! :D

Terra

1 hour ago, Terra said:

I think I said before that I was writing the adventures of little Terra as a child. Of course that's not the name I'm calling the series and I'm not using my name either. I have fictitious names for all involved but the stories and adventures are based tightly on my childhood. I have changed my name to protect the innocent and guilty at times, lol! :D

Terra

Yeah, I knew it was about "your" adventures.  I just  wondered if she would have talking animal companions. For some reason I had that imagery in my mind of your stories. Not really important in the long run. 

I think my interest in people's theme points of view right now are because of the problems I'm finding with writing from the point of view I need to in my stories.   Asking questions like these, for some reason, even though everyone else's subject matter is so diversely different from mine, helps brainstorm a little bit. 

5 minutes ago, HeySal said:

Yeah, I knew it was about "your" adventures.  I just  wondered if she would have talking animal companions. For some reason I had that imagery in my mind of your stories. Not really important in the long run. 

I think my interest in people's theme points of view right now are because of the problems I'm finding with writing from the point of view I need to in my stories.   Asking questions like these, for some reason, even though everyone else's subject matter is so diversely different from mine, helps brainstorm a little bit. 

Ha!

No make believe animals, no make believe friends, actually, it's the truth, the good and the bad, lol! I was quite the character when I was little and had so many adventures and discoveries and was a stubborn hyper little thing, too. Makes for some very interesting storylines. ;)

Terra

1 hour ago, Terra said:

Ha!

No make believe animals, no make believe friends, actually, it's the truth, the good and the bad, lol! I was quite the character when I was little and had so many adventures and discoveries and was a stubborn hyper little thing, too. Makes for some very interesting storylines. ;)

Terra

I would imagine that it is easier to write the character when she's part of your own mind, too.   (You have any comments on that, Theresa? You're character is based on you, too, isn't it?)

I am writing mine from third person, and it's not going well really.  Got a great plot going, but the characters are flat. I thought about starting over first person, but not sure it will fly with this one.  It needs something. Just not sure what. I'll figure it out. 

9 minutes ago, HeySal said:

I would imagine that it is easier to write the character when she's part of your own mind, too.   (You have any comments on that, Theresa? You're character is based on you, too, isn't it?)

I am writing mine from third person, and it's not going well really.  Got a great plot going, but the characters are flat. I thought about starting over first person, but not sure it will fly with this one.  It needs something. Just not sure what. I'll figure it out. 

I have both third person and yes, the character I told you about is loosely based on me.  That one is the character of a series.  You're right, though, it is easier when you write in first person.  I have to really submerge myself when I write in third. 

You don't have to answer this, it's mostly rhetorical, but what about your characters is flat?  

51 minutes ago, HeySal said:

The stories I'm writing aren't first person, they're written in third person. I'm telling the story about my character who lived my childhood, haha!

But yes, it is easier, I think, although I have written a lot of short stories about children who aren't me for my kids and my grandkids through the years. But children are less complex than adults, their minds haven't yet been tainted by the throes of society and they can be brutally honest.

Kids haven't yet learned not to care about things in their world. And you can be sure when you hear a small child say," I don't care!", they really do but they don't want you to know that they have had their feelings hurt or of some other emotion they are trying to hide. ;)

Terra

40 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

I have both third person and yes, the character I told you about is loosely based on me.  That one is the character of a series.  You're right, though, it is easier when you write in first person.  I have to really submerge myself when I write in third. 

You don't have to answer this, it's mostly rhetorical, but what about your characters is flat?  

Can't put my finger on it, Theresa.  Like I said - just getting other writer's perspectives while I look this over and decide where things aren't melting up right.  I thought it might just be me because I know the story already in my head and know the characters. So I thought that it was interesting that Terra is being successful partly because she knows the characters and stories so well.  Like I said, I'll figure it out. It's not like I have a deadline for this just hit a very curious point in my writing and figured that tossing around some perspective might bring something into my head. 

10 hours ago, HeySal said:

Can't put my finger on it, Theresa.  Like I said - just getting other writer's perspectives while I look this over and decide where things aren't melting up right.  I thought it might just be me because I know the story already in my head and know the characters. So I thought that it was interesting that Terra is being successful partly because she knows the characters and stories so well.  Like I said, I'll figure it out. It's not like I have a deadline for this just hit a very curious point in my writing and figured that tossing around some perspective might bring something into my head. 

UGH!  Sorry Sal, I have GOT to stop posting when I'm doing other things! 

My series is written in third person, but most of the events are based on real life things that have happened to me.  The rest of my books are written in third person as well, all but two.

One is a novel.  The other is, well the best I can describe it, a diary. 

I often base my characters (not all), on people I have met.  I find this helps in bringing out their personality and it's much easier for me to portray it.  For me it goes back to that emotional tie that was discussed in another thread. 

18 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Terra, I think it's great that your books (or going to be books), had such positive response!  It's pretty scary when someone reads your work, especially when it comes to something for children.  It's especially motivating when adults think your work is really good and you should publish it!

I've always wondered if I could write children's books.  Then, I can't get the ink out of my printer to change it without ending up looking like a Care Bear tagged me. 

Yes, it is very scary when people look at your work, especially when they're retired elementary and middle school teachers.

They are very familiar with the demographic I'm writing for with their past students being in that demographic. But on the other hand, when they like it and think the kids will too, that opinion is all the sweeter.

I think you could write for kids, Theresa. I think you could make them laugh. You have a really great sense of humor, tagged by carebears or not. :lol:

11 hours ago, HeySal said:

So I thought that it was interesting that Terra is being successful partly because she knows the characters and stories so well.

That and I really know my targeted audience. Remember, I worked in the Goodrich School District in the elementary school for four years with the kids and specialized in troubled and impaired children. I also taught drama there and taught Sunday School in church.

I have always loved children and I think that helps tremendously.

Terra

8 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

UGH!  Sorry Sal, I have GOT to stop posting when I'm doing other things! 

My series is written in third person, but most of the events are based on real life things that have happened to me.  The rest of my books are written in third person as well, all but two.

One is a novel.  The other is, well the best I can describe it, a diary. 

I often base my characters (not all), on people I have met.  I find this helps in bringing out their personality and it's much easier for me to portray it.  For me it goes back to that emotional tie that was discussed in another thread. 

In my novel I'm trying to put myself into the main character a bit to make her likable. (LOLOLOL, JK) Actually, I've got particular people in mind when I write my characters, too.  I was just thinking maybe it should be written in first person - but after looking it over again, I think 3rd is the best way. 

I'm also thinking that part of my problem with it is that I've been writing expository pieces for so long that it's just seeming weird to be writing what I'm making up.  

Terra - I'd think Theresa would be better for teens than young ones. It really takes a special orientation to write for young kids.  

45 minutes ago, HeySal said:

Terra - I'd think Theresa would be better for teens than young ones. It really takes a special orientation to write for young kids.

I'm not sure what age group you qualify as young kids, but my target audience is 8 through 12 year olds, approximately third through 6th grade.

I think Theresa has the perfect attitude and feelings to write for kids. And she certainly has the sense of humor too. Kids love to laugh and giggle.

Terra

I didn't realize you were writing for kids that old. I thought you were targeting the younger set.  

I won't debate on whether Theresa can write for kids or not. She'd know that one better than me. My friend in college that wrote literature for kids was about the least likely person I've ever known to actually like to do that. She was quite popular until she waxed  herself. I was  surprised that someone that unstable ( it showed in a lot of ways) could write for kids, but she was definitely in there. 

19 hours ago, HeySal said:

I didn't realize you were writing for kids that old. I thought you were targeting the younger set.  

I won't debate on whether Theresa can write for kids or not. She'd know that one better than me. My friend in college that wrote literature for kids was about the least likely person I've ever known to actually like to do that. She was quite popular until she waxed  herself. I was  surprised that someone that unstable ( it showed in a lot of ways) could write for kids, but she was definitely in there. 

That's too bad about your friend. 

I did a test yesterday in my targeted audience bracket. My daughter was over yesterday with my grandchildren and I let the two girls read all of what I have written so far and they really liked them. (not the same granddaughter who read one story a couple of weeks ago.)

So much so that when they were leaving, the 8 year old said, "Nana, you just have to get me copies of your books because I can't wait to see what (my character's name) does next!"

I told her that I had a lot of hard work and writing ahead of me just to get them ready to send to some publishers to see if they even think they're good enough for publishing. She said, "Well, they'd be stupid if they didn't, kids will love those!"

Oh to have the confidence and innocence of a little kid again, haha!

Terra