Edit to Reputation System

Mike Friedman

A change to the reputation system (the 'likes' on forum posts) was made in order to keep in better line with the focus and vision of the forum.

I could not find a way to continue to allow 'likes' in a specific subforum that just did not count towards a members overall likes count without removing them completely.

I personally do not put a lot of stock in things like post counts, likes, and thanks on forums, but I know that some people do, especially when they are new to a forum.

For that reason, the 'likes' option has been removed from the The Bar. If I find a better solution that can be implemented easily, we will do that. It is likely a permanent change.

This change does not reflect any ill feelings towards that area of the forum or people that participate there. It is simply to better put the reputation system in line with what the majority of visitors are looking for here.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Just now, 100DegreesC said:

Makes sense. 

I PM'd Mike about this a month ago, so if anyone is ticked about the change, you can blame me. :P

You weren't the only one.

It's been an ongoing complaint for awhile. It was just one of those things that kept getting pushed off and then forgotten.

9 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

It's been an ongoing complaint for awhile. It was just one of those things that kept getting pushed off and then forgotten.

I agree with this one.  It's not like there's any stimulating or intelligent conversation down there. When people come here and see the likes, they assume that the person knows what they're talking about.  If the OT was anything like the WF OT the first few years I first got on that one, I might disagree.  

16 hours ago, 100DegreesC said:

Makes sense. 

I PM'd Mike about this a month ago, so if anyone is ticked about the change, you can blame me. :P

Me too :P

16 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I was one of them...

6 hours ago, HeySal said:

I agree with this one.  It's not like there's any stimulating or intelligent conversation down there. When people come here and see the likes, they assume that the person knows what they're talking about.  If the OT was anything like the WF OT the first few years I first got on that one, I might disagree.  

And this was my thought exactly when I brought it up....