Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lanfear63

The Weird Mandela Effect

Recommended Posts

There is a lot  of examples in vid's on youtube. This one, the number one in this top ten video did disturb me . Do you know your Bond films? In this clip from Moonraker..  the henchman "Jaws" the tall guy with the metal teeth gets a girlfriend. Jaws has just had a fight with Roger Moore "Bond" on a cable car. Jaws is left inside one and it crashes into the cable car station. A petite young girl demonstrating great strength rescues him from the debris. They have a moment, smile at each other, then he takes her hand and they walk off. The thing is, I remember quite distinctly.. She had metal braces on her teeth. In the clip though, she just has a nice set of normal teeth. I know she had braces, part of the attraction, seen this film several times. I am disturbed. The others are interesting but this one got me. Skip to 16.40 if you just want to see this bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

At a seminar with maybe 1,000 people in the audience, a video was shown of a basketball game.

Here's the video; 

I saw what most others didn't. I was so proud of myself.After we all found out the secret...this next video was shown. And this time, I missed it completely.

Interesting how our brains work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

She had metal braces on her teeth. In the clip though, she just has a nice set of normal teeth. I know she had braces, part of the attraction, seen this film several times. I am disturbed. The others are interesting but this one got me. Skip to 16.40 if you just want to see this bit.

I wonder how often we think we have seen this effect because scenes were shot several times, and one scene was in the theatrical version, and the changed scene was in the DVD? It happens with movie endings quite a lot. Also, movie previews are often different in the actual movie. The preview has a scene shot one way, and the actual movie has it shot a different way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the gorilla straight away distracted me from counting the passes. This one did not did not get me. I see that it could be missed due to concentrating on the count though.

Did you watch the Bond Clip (and the parody advert afterwards) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanfear63 said:

So, best to find a copy of Moonraker online and view that bit, back in a minute..

I'm fast, here it is.. http://ffilms.org/moonraker-1979/  she has perfect white teeth. Hmmmmm

Yes, but as Claude said, that isn't necessarily the same scene that was in the theatrical release. All current versions have just teeth, but maybe in the theatrical version she had braces (that's how I remember it). Perhaps in the theatrical version the braces were added in post production. When the movie was transferred to digital perhaps whatever trick was used to add the braces didn't work. Or perhaps when the digital clean up took place, the effect was erased (my preferred theory). There could be many reasons for this before we even get to this alleged Mandela effect.

Which brings us back to this alleged Mandela Effect. As my previous post states, I do not recall Mandela dying in prison at all, so I have no understanding or belief that "many people" do have a memory of that. This has made me very sceptical of this supposed effect which has obviously piqued your interest. In fact after watching a few other videos, I'm going to call it out as bullshit. No offence Mark, but you're really going into Shane territory here.

Here's a couple of videos debunking this so called, but non-existent, effect.

 

 

Here's a selection of articles debunking it as well:

http://www.skeptic.com/insight/the-mandela-effect/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2017/02/16/mandela-effect-false-memories/

http://www.debunkingmandelaeffects.com/common-explanations/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-apes/201511/ben-carson-and-the-mandela-effect

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/20/are-you-living-in-an-alternate-reality-welcome-to-the-wacky-worl/

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4560

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/24/the-mandela-effect/

 

On 2017-5-15 at 10:48 AM, Lanfear63 said:

Of course the insinuations or alt explanation is that there are infinite very similar parallel earths (as quantum theory predicts) and we are intersecting all the time at the quantum level and minute history changes take place, most don't remember these changes but some do and are totally perplexed. 

Bollocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Yes, but as Claude said, that isn't necessarily the same scene that was in the theatrical release. All current versions have just teeth, but maybe in the theatrical version she had braces (that's how I remember it). Perhaps in the theatrical version the braces were added in post production. When the movie was transferred to digital perhaps whatever trick was used to add the braces didn't work. Or perhaps when the digital clean up took place, the effect was erased (my preferred theory). There could be many reasons for this before we even get to this alleged Mandela effect.

Which brings us back to this alleged Mandela Effect. As my previous post states, I do not recall Mandela dying in prison at all, so I have no understanding or belief that "many people" do have a memory of that. This has made me very sceptical of this supposed effect which has obviously piqued your interest. In fact after watching a few other videos, I'm going to call it out as bullshit. No offence Mark, but you're really going into Shane territory here.

Here's a couple of videos debunking this so called, but non-existent, effect

 

 

Here's a selection of articles debunking it as well:

http://www.skeptic.com/insight/the-mandela-effect/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2017/02/16/mandela-effect-false-memories/

http://www.debunkingmandelaeffects.com/common-explanations/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-apes/201511/ben-carson-and-the-mandela-effect

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/20/are-you-living-in-an-alternate-reality-welcome-to-the-wacky-worl/

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4560

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/24/the-mandela-effect/

Before I read any of these articles...

My guess is that it is suggested that "we all saw it this way" and then our brains want to agree, and so we agree that we remembered it a certain way...when we really did not.

It works because we really have no strong memory one way or the other.

Is that it, or am I off?

It's a powerful tool in selling. Getting someone to agree something is true, but telling them that everyone agrees that it's true...

The customer then assumes that it is, and by extension...remembers that they agreed with the idea. They will then defend the idea as though it were their own. 

 

Hypnosis works much on the same principle. Act as if something is true, and the other person strongly tends to agree that it is...unless they really know something different.

 

An example is, you say "You know how....?" and then you give a proposition that they will agree to...even though they wouldn't think of it on their own. And by them agreeing with you, the proposition gets adapted as their own idea.

 

Like "You know how...when you take your change out of your pocket, the quarters tend to group together with the other quarters, as do the dimes, nickels, and pennies?"

 

Well, they never thought about it before in their life. But most will agree that they have noticed it, and then it immediately becomes something they believe. And suddenly we are thinking that quarters have a conscious attraction to other quarters....or that there is some universal law that similar things group together....lets call it Quantum Physics....for lack of a better term.

 

We are completely predictable, and completely malleable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

Seeing the gorilla straight away distracted me from counting the passes. This one did not did not get me. I see that it could be missed due to concentrating on the count though.

In the large marketing event I was at...where these were shown, everyone I talked to, didn't see the gorilla in the first video. The only reason I saw it, is because I assumed the "count the bounces..." was a ruse to hide something else that was happening. It actually takes focus to not see the gorilla.

But the second video? I didn't see the one girl disappear or the curtain change color....no idea what the difference was. Maybe I was looking for another gorilla.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Claude Whitacre said:

But the second video? I didn't see the one girl disappear or the curtain change color....no idea what the difference was. Maybe I was looking for another gorilla.

Here's a quote no longer in the bible "And The Lion shall lay down with the Lamb. I remember that one, there are some picture references to it online. Now it says "The Wolf will lay down with the Lamb" You won't find the Lion quote in any bible, old or new? A large land mass off Australia, now no longer there etc, etc. 

You know me. I put this stuff on the forum to get a reaction and aside from some things, I don't necessarily believe a word of it, but I will defend it to the hilt and find supportive arguments just for the exercise.

This one is more interesting than most because it brings into question what I remember, sharp memories to my mind, are they all just plain wrong? Perhaps for the most part but like my "logical probability" theory on ufo's and ghosts etc, 95 percent are delusion or mistaken identity but the remaining 5 percent could be exactly what we are seeing, ghosts and alien craft. It makes it a possibility, however remote, and worth a look.

On this one, if you take it at it at face value it appears that disproving it is just a matter of pointing out history references as they are now is all people need. Except, you can find sometimes obscure references to things being differently named or events being different if you search hard enough. Does that mean that this slight re-writing of history is not always 100 percent thorough?  Couple that with collective memory of many scattered around, you have another one of those 95 percenters.

Given that theatrical releases of movies had multiple versions featuring possibly changed scenes   then perhaps it's not a great idea pursue those as reliable. The impossible editing out of the Lion being changed to the Wolf in all copies of the Bible possibly is.

Here's a long vid charting many alleged changed occurrences. Watch it or ignore. As Whatty say's, it could be all Bollocks, but it's interesting Bollocks. 

PS, In this video is a rather jaw dropping talk by a scientist/technician who is building Quantum Computers. What did he say?

PPS: I Gave up after that bit with the telephone call from the guy saying that antimatter attracts demonic activity. ;)

   

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

PS, In this video is a rather jaw dropping talk by a scientist/technician who is building Quantum Computers. What did he say?

Unless we are talking about IBM/Google/CERN:

Quantum computing is probably vapor-ware, it's most likely an investment scam. (Worded that carefully.)

That video is the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever seen in my entire life.

It's not quirks in human perception, it's time traveling multidimensional space aliens. (I didn't actually watch the video.)

I would trust Donald Trump, over anything in that video.

Real quantum computer @ IBM: https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/out-of-the-vaporware-first-quantum-computer-online

Also: Reality check, Nobody is going to fire one of those up to watch Netflix. I just bought a refurbished Iphone 5 off Ebay for $100 (to use for web dev) and it can do that just fine. Oh and, unless something changed in the world of Quantum Computing, the Iphone 5 is faster.

I Literally updated my firewall to block this site between 9am-11pm during weekdays after clicking that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Before I read any of these articles...

My guess is that it is suggested that "we all saw it this way" and then our brains want to agree, and so we agree that we remembered it a certain way...when we really did not.

It works because we really have no strong memory one way or the other.

Is that it, or am I off?

On the right track. It's a similar effect to the one discussed on the Fake News thread, where a Fox talking head says, "A lot of folks are saying....". The disengaged viewer, thinks, "Yeah. I've heard that." More likely than not because they don't want to be seen as stupid, or different to everyone else, so they take t on board as being true.

At it's most benign, it's "selling" an idea. At it least benign it's brainwashing and manipulation.

5 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

We are completely predictable, and completely malleable. 

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2017 at 9:48 PM, Lanfear63 said:

Many people remember things differently than they are today. Examples: Many people swear that Nelson Mandela died in prison, they remember quite distinctly watching the reports and the funeral. But he did not, was released, became president and only died recently. So many examples. The guy who stood in front of the tanks in China, people remember that the man was run over, they remember the blood. But nope, he did not get run over.

Looney Toons cartoons, apparently the spelling has always been Loony Tunes, try googling old LT screenshots, not how I remember it, does not make sense to be Loony Tunes anyway. These are Car-toons? Try Tiny Toons (the young versions of these characters), still Tiny Toons? Try Oscar Meyer.. correct spelling, nope, it's Oscar Mayer..not how you remember it, Look at old photos of the Wiener Mobile.. Now Oscar Mayer... (have 1960's photo's all been doctored, or are we going mad?) hmm. Was not Jiffy peanut butter the name, now Jiff. Apparently it has always been Jiff.

In some cases yes, the manufactures of these and many more products have changed the logo designs or spellings of these names and not told anyone. It does not explain all of them though. Check out the Mandela Effect on you-tube, a plethora of examples that are actually for real. All false collective memory?...You decide.

Of course the insinuations or alt explanation is that there are infinite very similar parallel earths (as quantum theory predicts) and we are intersecting all the time at the quantum level and minute history changes take place, most don't remember these changes but some do and are totally perplexed. 

Time to dig out your old Looney Toons VHS tapes and take a look. Interesting how the spell checker now underlines Toons as an incorrect word?

   

Huh ? Who thought Mandela died in prison ?? After all the hoopla with Oprah going to visit him a few years after he was released as an old man. I have never come across anyone in my circle of trust  who thought Mandela died in prison. Oscar Mayer and Loony Tunes is another two I don't understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, discrat said:

Huh ? Who thought Mandela died in prison ?? After all the hoopla with Oprah going to visit him a few years after he was released as an old man. I have never come across anyone in my circle of trust  who thought Mandela died in prison. Oscar Mayer and Loony Tunes is another two I don't understand.

Now you're a bible orientated person..I think. I recall the quote "And the lion shall lay down with the lamb"  I learned that in Sunday school. Now it reads "The Wolf will lay down with the Lamb" All copies of the bible, old and new.. What is your recollection on that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

Now you're a bible orientated person..I think. I recall the quote "And the lion shall lay down with the lamb"  I learned that in Sunday school. Now it reads "The Wolf will lay down with the Lamb" All copies of the bible, old and new.. What is your recollection on that? 

Honestly I cannot recall one way or the other. Actually, couldn't tell you what book in the Bible that came from. I have read the Bible all the way through a few years back, but I am really not that much of a fervent student of it.

Quite honestly, its been poorly used by certain groups of people here in US  lately to bend reality into their favor in such a biased and warped way .  And as a result , basic human rights are being unfairly stripped away from others who don't necessarily  believe in it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

Here's a quote no longer in the bible "And The Lion shall lay down with the Lamb. I remember that one, there are some picture references to it online. Now it says "The Wolf will lay down with the Lamb" You won't find the Lion quote in any bible, old or new? A large land mass off Australia, now no longer there etc, etc. 

Three possibilities;

1) different translations of the Bible could have minor differences.

2) Someone...at some time..miss-quoted the passage and it became the popular version. "There is a sucker born every minute" is actually "There is a customer born every minute". But over the years., someone quoted it to make the quote mean something else.

3) It was always "wolf", and someone says "Lion" and it sounds good, and then that becomes your memory.

By the way, Carl Sagan is quoted as saying "Billions and Billions of stars". He never said it. It was Johnny Carson, doing an imitation of Sagan. But that's one of the many ways we remember one thing, and it was really another.

16 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

 

This one is more interesting than most because it brings into question what I remember, sharp memories to my mind, are they all just plain wrong? Perhaps for the most part but like my "logical probability" theory on ufo's and ghosts etc, 95 percent are delusion or mistaken identity but the remaining 5 percent could be exactly what we are seeing, ghosts and alien craft. It makes it a possibility, however remote, and worth a look.

 

I wish you would quite saying that. It's nonsensical. 

Here's an example of your logic;

"If a million people say that they saw Santa Clause...sure, maybe 95% are just stories, myths, lies, or delusions.....but the remaining 5% could be exactly what they are claiming. It makes it a possibility, however remote, and worth a look."

I know you never said that. But the structure of the argument is the same. 

A thought doesn't become more or less true, depending on how many times it's repeated...or how many people believe it. 

You may find this interesting...

When I was about 18 years old, I shared an apartment with another Jehovah's Witness (I was one as a kid). For some reason, one night we started saying ridiculous Bible verses to each other...as a joke.  One of us said "Judge not, lest ye be judged". We both laughed, and kept on making silly verses up.

Years later, I heard someone say that exact same verse. And I looked it up online. Yup. There it was. So, what are the possible explanations?

1) I actually read it as a child and repeated it years later as a joke.

2) The Bible is made up of nonsensical sayings, and the odds were, one would be a match.

3) In an alternative universe, that's how it was written, and it transferred here by way of...(wait for it) QUANTUM PHYSICS....

4) Reincarnation is real, and I was the one that originally wrote that book of the Bible. And memories are transferred from body to body, thus making us immortal....because of QUANTUM PHYSICS.....

5) I lied about the story. It never really happened.

6) We live in a MATRIX, and the programmers are kids that think this is funny.

7) You are really in a coma, and all this is part of a dream.....a bad repeating dream. I am just in your imagination.

8) Imagination is reality...as plainly explained in the laws of...QUANTUM PHYSICS....

9) No matter what you think you are typing, and reading...it's all just "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".....and you are crazy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

At a seminar with maybe 1,000 people in the audience, a video was shown of a basketball game.

Here's the video; 

I saw what most others didn't. I was so proud of myself.After we all found out the secret...this next video was shown. And this time, I missed it completely.

Interesting how our brains work.

 

I haven't read most of this thread but both these videos are the same video but unless I'm reading it wrong it's meant to be different? Not trying to spot anything, just saying they're both literally the same video and I'm not sure whether they're meant to be or not. I deleted them from the quote to save space.

Also I never spotted the gorilla.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Some poorly conceived comparison of ghosts and Santa Claus.

 

 I wish you would stop saying this.  Your comparison of ghosts/aliens and Santa Claus is poorly conceived and constructed. Santa Claus is a known fictional character. The existence of ghosts and aliens is subject to debate by even the world's brightest minds. 

One is definitively fictional. The other is indeterminate. 

You might as well say parallel universes don't exist because the Marvel Multiverse is fictional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Riffle said:

 Some poorly conceived comparison of ghosts and Santa Claus.

 

I wish you would stop saying this.  Your comparison of ghosts/aliens and Santa Claus is poorly conceived and constructed. Santa Claus is a known fictional character. The existence of ghosts and aliens is subject to debate by even the world's brightest minds. 

One is definitively fictional. The other is indeterminate. 

You might as well say parallel universes don't exist because the Marvel Multiverse is fictional. 

Edited a little later; I see your point. But here is why I said it....

 

Ghosts and aliens are also fictional characters. 

Parallel universes? No idea. The idea may actually be the result of study, math, and logic. But ghosts and aliens are the product of imagination. They weren't discovered, they were created.....invented.   

When I say aliens are fictional, I mean the "Aliens have visited us, and taken me aboard their craft" stories. I don't mean the idea that there is life elsewhere. 

 

But ghosts are as fictional as vampires and Superman. 

 

You say these things are debated. But it isn't debate as in "Two opposing ideas with equal gravity".  Believers claim that these ideas are debated because it adds weight ( and the possibility that they are real) to an irrational idea.  Is there a debate that gnomes are real? They are as real as ghosts, with precisely the same evidence.

 

And do some of the brightest people in the world believe in ghosts? A few. But the more educated...the higher the IQ, the less you see this kind of thing. It's a sliding scale.

Physicists with a Doctorate degree? In the US only 7% believe in anything supernatural at all, including a deity.  What's shocking to me is that 7% still hang on to these superstitions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Riffle said:

I wish you would stop saying this.  Your comparison of ghosts/aliens and Santa Claus is poorly conceived and constructed. Santa Claus is a known fictional character. The existence of ghosts and aliens is subject to debate by even the world's brightest minds. 

One is definitively fictional. The other is indeterminate. 

You might as well say parallel universes don't exist because the Marvel Multiverse is fictional. 

You replied for me on that one. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alistair said:

 

I haven't read most of this thread but both these videos are the same video but unless I'm reading it wrong it's meant to be different? Not trying to spot anything, just saying they're both literally the same video and I'm not sure whether they're meant to be or not. I deleted them from the quote to save space.

Also I never spotted the gorilla.

Dammit! You're absolutely right. I uploaded the wrong video. I've corrected it. There are now two separate videos. Thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Your analogy is wrong.  Are you the victim of a seizure?

 

Ghosts and aliens are also fictional characters. 

Parallel universes? No idea. The idea may actually be the result of study, math, and logic. But ghosts and aliens are the product of imagination. They weren't discovered, they were created.....invented.   

When I say aliens are fictional, I mean the "Aliens have visited us, and taken me aboard their craft" stories. I don't mean the idea that there is 

 

Nope, yours is wrong and you invalidated your own argument. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dan Riffle said:

Nope, yours is wrong and you invalidated your own argument. 

just before you posted this. I changed what I said a little. On the other hand........you'll have to explain what you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Claude Whitacre said:

just before you posted this. I changed what I said a little. On the other hand........you'll have to explain what you mean.

 I'm out for lunch and shopping with the family.  Deconstruct your argument compared to what i said. You'll see it. Maybe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.