The Weird Mandela Effect

Lanfear63

21 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

I am revisiting this one. I talked about it before. Thing is, for me, I was a devotee, they used to show them every day on UK tv, especially in the 60's where they had got time slots to fill, so, I got to see them all, over and over again. That was my only source of the quote, just watching them. This is one of that small handful I talked about. It truly perplexes me.

It perplexes you because it has to...to keep this thing alive.

You said "That was my only source of the quote, just watching them.". But that isn't true. You've seen lots of people say "Another fine mess". Late night hosts have said it in skits for decades. It's like believing Carl Sagan said "Billions and billions of stars" because Johnny Carson said it so many times that people swear...that they heard it from Sagan himself. It's a meme. You are saying it's your only source, because it has to be, to keep this idea viable in your mind.

It's obvious ..based on all these posts, that you are desperate for this to be true. I just don't know what inner need this fills.

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
2 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

It perplexes you because it has to...to keep this thing alive.

You said "That was my only source of the quote, just watching them.". But that isn't true. You've seen lots of people say "Another fine mess". Late night hosts have said it in skits for decades. It's like believing Carl Sagan said "Billions and billions of stars" because Johnny Carson said it so many times that people swear...that they heard it from Sagan himself. It's a meme. You are saying it's your only source, because it has to be, to keep this idea viable in your mind.

It's obvious ..based on all these posts, that you are desperate for this to be true. I just don't know what inner need this fills.

You need to appreciate that my source memory of this quote came exclusively from 1960's childhood memories, not from any late night show hosts ( there was not any) or internet media saying it, there was none. We had two TV stations back in the 60's in the UK, and one added in the latter half. That was it and that is where my core memory came from. The stuff like Home Depot and Hillary Clinton's first name spelling anomaly came from first hand noticing and comment to a third party at the time, no outside influence. 

Based on a handful of these ME's that I talk about extensively I already know that there are some for real ones. My ridiculous attention to detail on stuff like this  is so sharp, almost like a photographic memory. I only wish I had applied it to my education but I realize that I would only use it to things that interest me. 

The other thing that is striking is that I never suffered from any misalignments to my memory until the last few years and I do not feel that my mind has suffered sufficiently to have this happen just because I'm 63.

I would appreciate it more if you actually took it on as a project and say, ok, let's say it is so, what in all the wildly different theories about quantum mechanics and physics could you go with to make it fit as a "Natural Phenomenon" Like I try to do.

What do you recall about road signs. Specifically Interstate signs. I admit, not being much of a Freeway traveller over here, I could not comment as to noticing any change. However, I do see that these roads are referred to as I-45, I-70 etc in the media, even today. I being short for Interstate. It was put as an ME that the signs used to have the I- on them, So you would always see I-45 on the sign for example. Regardless of your memories, you will not find any evidence now of this ever being the case. 

I was talking about this last night to a friend who insisted that they had always seen the signs with the I- prefix but recently had seen a newer one (pic below). Not so I said, never existed according to history, although there were variations, this is the one that has been around forever, no prefixes, just the number with the full word interstate above it. Like I said, this is not one I agree or disagree with.

image.png.669d84c284e814c082e94cd350c3fd74.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just to show I am self-critical and critical of others who make stupid videos and claims about the ME. I am seriously thinking about posting on this guys vid and getting banned by him. He comes up with one or two good ones, most are crap. He arrogantly says before launching into it that anyone who disagrees will be banned. What an A-hole.

He remembers 100 percent that Emma Thomson was Liam Neeson's wife and died in a skiing accident in 1999. In fact it was Natasha Richardson. Emma Thomson has made or been in 17 movies since then, some I have watched on tv.

Perhaps rising to the occasion, being banned and post removed is Not worth it as no one will see it

I actually disagree with just about anything that gets posted by most of the posters that do it, only a small fraction catches my eye.

If you want to look up his vids, he is called Recall Vector  

On 12/20/2019 at 12:29 PM, Lanfear63 said:

I would appreciate it more if you actually took it on as a project and say, ok, let's say it is so, what in all the wildly different theories about quantum mechanics and physics could you go with to make it fit as a "Natural Phenomenon" Like I try to do.

I'll let someone else take over. Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

The guy who makes these videos on the ME is articulate, does good research and puts them together well. Here's two from his not too large collection. Watch the first one at least. The second shows how good his research is on any topic. Objects in the rear view mirror...

I've got no idea why you keep banging on about the change to the wording on wing mirrors.

Did it ever occur to you that the words "may be" are rather ambiguous and it wasn't getting the message through? Changing it to "are" is unequivocal. It leaves no room for doubt. It gets the message across loud and clear. It also explains the change simply and logically.

6 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

I've got no idea why you keep banging on about the change to the wording on wing mirrors.

Did it ever occur to you that the words "may be" are rather ambiguous and it wasn't getting the message through? Changing it to "are" is unequivocal. It leaves no room for doubt. It gets the message across loud and clear. It also explains the change simply and logically.

I seriously feel, every time we respond to this nonsense...we are adding to the illusion that this is a debate of some sort.

10 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Yet again,you are missing the point..If you look at this guys thought processes and some good evidence, you would find it compelling and yes, it does matter. The fact is, historically, now, there has never been a single instance of the words ""May" be closer than they appear" on any US wing mirror. You look, you will not find any, even in films. 

So why do I, and countless others remember this, and I remember having the debate in the car as to why they would put "May", most inappropriate. Well, something listened and it never was, it never happened!

That in itself is an anomaly, call it a Mandela Effect, call it what you like, yet it is true.  

You realise that you, Claude and others are quite simply exactly the deniers that the guy points out in the first video. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very recent Unsolicited comment from my friend in the UK. I have not been to his home in ten years.I mentioned the two things he highlighted in a email to him and this was his reply...

"btw I find it amazing you remember our make of desktop, as you did the size of our old TV. I myself would have to eyeball both to check (maybe that's quite suprising as well.......... things you retain/things I don't!?!)."

This was just a comment on my memory for this and of course it is really inconsequential that I remembered those things. (He despises the Mandela effect by the way) 

But that's my memory, I have perfect recall on inconsequential things, almost photographic. But that never held me me in good stead for passing academic tests.

The rules are for me, you either have an interest in what you are remembering, in this case..electronics, or it is part of your life that is engrained or essential that you do remember..like the names of the stores you visit etc.

I replied to that comment he had sent saying due to this type of memory I have..the few items that I really highlight as being a dubbed "Mandela Effect" hit me really hard initially. As my memory on them had that same attention to detail as anything else I have as lifelong ingrained memories.

Of course I then got a lecture on the fallibility of human memory such as I would expect. This guy is as rigid as a Claude in his views. You two should meet.  

• 2 months later...

"No, Luke, I am your father". A totally innocent You-Tube video, look at the comments, go to the You-Tube page to read them. On its debut, someone obviously filmed the screen in the cinema with a crude early camcorder and Darth says: "Noo, Luke" You can even hear the audiences reaction to this revelation.

And as we all know, the word "Luke" is now missing. I knew what he said. Exactly what he said in this clip.

• 5 months later...

The electronics company called Canon, to my memory it used to have three n's in it and was called "Cannon" But nope, never was. But here's the one that got away, a totally innocent webpage, it even has a picture of one of their camera's at the top of the page, and guess what. It has "Cannon" across it. 

https://petapixel.com/2016/12/27/brides-magazine-make-sure-photog-using-cannon-nikon/

• 1 month later...

Chronicling a newly discovered ME. The Band: The Rolling Stones, The song. "Paint it Black"

The opening line as I recall: "I see a red door and I want to paint it black" If you see the stones live, Jagger sings it that way.  And all cover versions of the song sing it that way. After all, makes sense, it is the name of the song

If you listen to the original recording however, Jagger now sings "I see a red door and I want it painted black" You can look at ancient tv show clips of them on You-Tube where the stones mime to the recording and of course it is as above. does the mouth miming match up. Will leave you to investigate if interested. Are you a devoted stones fan, what do you recall?

Oh, and of course if you look up the original lyrics, the line has changed to the "alleged" new one.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:54 AM, Lanfear63 said:

The opening line as I recall: "I see a red door and I want to paint it black

Nope. Never was.

Jagger now sings "I see a red door and I want it painted black"

Jagger sang that on every version of the song I've heard from official recordings to bootlegs, it was always "I want it painted black".

7 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Nope. Never was.

Jagger sang that on every version of the song I've heard from official recordings to bootlegs, it was always "I want it painted black".

Funny that, as I recently watched some footage of him singing it live "I want to paint it black"  

All the tv clips from the 60's were mimes to the recording as I said. 

1 hour ago, Lanfear63 said:

Funny that, as I recently watched some footage of him singing it live "I want to paint it black"

Which he very may well have done. Once. On that performance. Never again.

Singers forget the words to songs they wrote themselves and have been singing for years, if not decades. If they're in anyway a half decent performer they should be able to bluff their way through it by ad-libbing. I have no doubt at all that Mr Jagger is, and was then, more than capable of thinking on his feet to cover that potential blooper.

Too easy.

3 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Which he very may well have done. Once. On that performance. Never again.

Singers forget the words to songs they wrote themselves and have been singing for years, if not decades. If they're in anyway a half decent performer they should be able to bluff their way through it by ad-libbing. I have no doubt at all that Mr Jagger is, and was then, more than capable of thinking on his feet to cover that potential blooper.

Too easy.

So, you are an avid Stones fan then and know their discography and lyrics inside out? To me, the reason I identify with the line as  stated is that it fits the pattern of the way the song is sung. "Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da-ah. All short words on the opening line. So, it sounds correct to me and is the memory I have. I have also seen a load of other artists sing it online using the exact same configuration. Those are mainly young people who would have had to have sourced the lyrics to have known what to sing. Not oldsters from the 60's. These people would  also have listened extensively to Mick singing it in mimes and live performances to get the phrasing and tune right. So why are they all singing it wrong if Mick only ever changed it in one instance?  It also fits in with the title of the song. 

Lol. Mick in his younger years wants to take action and paint it black himself. As he gets older and richer he wants it painted black and can afford to pay someone else to do it. 

I notice you did not comment on the Canon/Cannon one before it. Something you cannot identify with?

On 12/22/2020 at 12:07 AM, Lanfear63 said:

I notice you did not comment on the Canon/Cannon one before it. Something you cannot identify with?

No, as I have no recollection of it being "cannon". As they're a Japanese company it would make sense for them to use a Japanese word rather than an English one. There are no double letter combinations in the Japanese language. No vacuums, no otters, no worries.

I would file it under "Bollocks", but that word doesn't exist in Japanese.