How do some people churn out an insane amount of writing?

ShayB

There is a writer who is formerly from the WF. (I don't think she goes there much anymore.)

She talks about her writing output (I'm on her mailing list), and it's insane! 

She writes thousands of words a day. Pretty much every day. 

I am, quite frankly, in awe. And I wish I could do the same. My brain hurts after a while, you know?

But then I think....maybe I could, if I broke it up during the day. A few hundred here, a few hundred there?

After all, I'm on Twitter off and on all day. Maybe even writing 8 or 10 words at a time is the trick?

What do you think?

Grow your online visibility
1 hour ago, ShayB said:

There is a writer who is formerly from the WF. (I don't think she goes there much anymore.)

She talks about her writing output (I'm on her mailing list), and it's insane! 

I am, quite frankly, in awe. And I wish I could do the same. My brain hurts after a while, you know?

But then I think....maybe I could, if I broke it up during the day. A few hundred here, a few hundred there?

After all, I'm on Twitter off and on all day. Maybe even writing 8 or 10 words at a time is the trick?

What do you think?

Are you sure they weren't lying? It's WF were talking about here. There's a person on there who is an "SEO Expert" who uh : One second : still has not done any SEO at all to their website after over a year.

They're probably using ghost writers or a service like text broker and taking credit for it (which is the point.) I can personally edit/fix 10k-20k words worth of content in a day. I'm about to start doing it again as I need 1k product descriptions written. To write them all from hand, I can't process anywhere near that. Maybe 10k if I can somehow trick myself into believing "this has to get done today." Which is really hard to do, 2 hours in, when you should have honestly taken a 15 minute break.

21 minutes ago, mki said:

Are you sure they weren't lying? It's WF were talking about here. There's a person on there who is an "SEO Expert" who uh : One second : still has not done any SEO at all to their website after over a year.

They're probably using ghost writers or a service like text broker and taking credit for it (which is the point.) I can personally edit/fix 10k-20k words worth of content in a day. I'm about to start doing it again as I need 1k product descriptions written. To write them all from hand, I can't process anywhere near that. Maybe 10k if I can somehow trick myself into believing "this has to get done today." Which is really hard to do, 2 hours in, when you should have honestly taken a 15 minute break.

I tend to think it's true, given the amount of products (PLR) she produces. It really is impressive. :o

3 minutes ago, ShayB said:

I tend to think it's true, given the amount of products (PLR) she produces. It really is impressive. :o

PLR business is all Philippine writers.

This person probably pays a couple people $100 a week and then edits it, I've done this before.

I think I actually learned about hiring Filipinos off of WF...

46 minutes ago, mki said:

I think I know who Shay is talking about, and yep, she's for reals!   In fact, I just saw her new website and I signed up.  :)   She started her business before the "content writers" started seeping out of the woodwork. 

I can write that much, IF that's all I have to do for the day.  Which never happens around here. 

@ Shay

I think you can do whatever you set your mind to, but I know for me, it's really hard to get back in the groove if I've stopped and walked away and then come back to it.  **I did LOL at your Twitter comment, though!**  :) 

Difference here, is person above does ONLY that.  You work outside the home, and you have your business, and so on.. producing a good amount of content in a day is a better goal than X amount of content in a day.  Less pressure!  :D

27 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

I think I know who Shay is talking about, and yep, she's for reals!   In fact, I just saw her new website and I signed up.  :)   She started her business before the "content writers" started seeping out of the woodwork. 

I can write that much, IF that's all I have to do for the day.  Which never happens around here.

I want to be clear: I have no idea who this person is.

It's completely possible that this person just sits in front of their computer 16 hours a day.

I'm not suggesting it's that all of it is ghost written, I'm just suggesting, it's possible some of it is.

It's also possible this person does write it, but has a good editor(s), this is extremely common as well. Not all editors just check for errors, some will completely fix/rewrite content.

Any time in my life where I've asked myself : "How did they perform this magic trick" or "how did they solve this chicken and the egg problem" the answer is always the same: They didn't.

Either way, I'm confident that there's some sort of pipeline there with plans and a schedule. Working even in small teams, is a big motivator to get things done. If you "have to get this done today to get it to your editor" who you pay whether they sit there on Facebook or actually get work done, trust me, they will probably stay busy.

The answer for me, regarding getting large volumes of work done, is always pressure in one form or another. (Either perceived, or real.)

As far as content writers seeping out of the woodwork: Uh so, she started in the 1800s? Are you sure...?

If this is the person who I'm thinking of, all I can say is that when I was freelancing, I got a lot of requests for rewrites from this person, if she's the one I'm thinking of.

The writing was good in grammar, syntax, punctuation etc. but the content was lackluster at best and needed a lot of polishing to make it pop and shine.

Terra

47 minutes ago, mki said:

I want to be clear: I have no idea who this person is.

It's completely possible that this person just sits in front of their computer 16 hours a day.

I'm not suggesting it's that all of it is ghost written, I'm just suggesting, it's possible some of it is.

It's also possible this person does write it, but has a good editor(s), this is extremely common as well. Not all editors just check for errors, some will completely fix/rewrite content.

Any time in my life where I've asked myself : "How did they perform this magic trick" or "how did they solve this chicken and the egg problem" the answer is always the same: They didn't.

Either way, I'm confident that there's some sort of pipeline there with plans and a schedule. Working even in small teams, is a big motivator to get things done. If you "have to get this done today to get it to your editor" who you pay whether they sit there on Facebook or actually get work done, trust me, they will probably stay busy.

The answer for me, regarding getting large volumes of work done, is always pressure in one form or another. (Either perceived, or real.)

As far as content writers seeping out of the woodwork: Uh so, she started in the 1800s? Are you sure...?

LOL  mki! 

I said, this person, if that's who we're talking about here, is for reals.  I didn't say she did all of it, herself.  Shay's question was about how much CONTENT was written in a day.  And, sure, if that's all a person does, then yep, it can be done.  I do see your point and I promise from now on to cover all my bases before answering you in the future!  :P

On a more serious note, I absolutely agree that there should be a pipeline in place if X amount of content, per day, is required.  X being some fantastical number.  But, that doesn't include editing and all of the other work involved.  Anyone can research a subject and jot down a bunch of random notes, turn it into PLR.  Years ago, I downloaded such a thing, I can't even remember where I found it, it was something like "1600 PLR articles".. I kept it for two reasons.  1)  What NEVER to do.  And 2)  The titles sometimes inspire me if I need a subject to write about for a client. 

Never ask a woman her age.  And you know damned well, that was just a figure of speech. 

15 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

LOL  mki! 

I said, this person, if that's who we're talking about here, is for reals.  I didn't say she did all of it, herself.  Shay's question was about how much CONTENT was written in a day.  And, sure, if that's all a person does, then yep, it can be done.  I do see your point and I promise from now on to cover all my bases before answering you in the future!  :P

On a more serious note, I absolutely agree that there should be a pipeline in place if X amount of content, per day, is required.  X being some fantastical number.  But, that doesn't include editing and all of the other work involved.  Anyone can research a subject and jot down a bunch of random notes, turn it into PLR.  Years ago, I downloaded such a thing, I can't even remember where I found it, it was something like "1600 PLR articles".. I kept it for two reasons.  1)  What NEVER to do.  And 2)  The titles sometimes inspire me if I need a subject to write about for a client. 

Never ask a woman her age.  And you know damned well, that was just a figure of speech. 

LMAO... I'm just making sure you understood that the writer doesn't have to come through an online source, or through the "usual channels."

The best writers I had, came from craigslist.

And yes, I absolutely recommend some kind of content production. I still personally edit all content for my two biggest content sites and I post it. I've never been late on this. It gets handed to me, I edit it and post it to my site in < 24 hours.

A relatively simple plan.

Research -> Development -> Production

Concepts -> Research -> Organization -> Additional Concepts -> Research -> Framework -> Development -> Editing -> Production (Convert to PDF & Graphic Design) -> Final Edit -> Publish

If it's a 100 page book, this could get complex and I assure you, mastery of the process and management of it, is the only way to get optimal speed out of a system like that.

There's other things to consider as well (across teams) like what software to use, and how to keep workflow optimized. If everything is stored in Google Docs and produced with say Adobe Acrobat, even this basic workflow could get complex if things need to get reworked.

If I had absolutely nothing else to do and includes no distractions, I could easily write thousands of words a day. My head would explode by the end of the third day though :D

5 minutes ago, mki said:

LMAO... I'm just making sure you understood that the writer doesn't have to come through an online source, or through the "usual channels."

The best writers I had, came from craigslist.

And yes, I absolutely recommend some kind of content production. I still personally edit all content for my two biggest content sites and I post it. I've never been late on this. It gets handed to me, I edit it and post it to my site in < 24 hours.

A relatively simple plan.

Research -> Development -> Production

Concepts -> Research -> Organization -> Additional Concepts -> Research -> Framework -> Development -> Editing -> Production (Convert to PDF & Graphic Design) -> Final Edit -> Publish

If it's a 100 page book, this could get complex and I assure you, mastery of the process and management of it, is the only way to get optimal speed out of a system like that.

There's other things to consider as well (across teams) like what software to use, and how to keep workflow optimized. If everything is stored in Google Docs and produced with say Adobe Acrobat, even this basic workflow could get complex if things need to get reworked.

The above bolded, I'm just making sure you understood Shay's comment about the said writer:

I simply said it's possible.  :) 

8 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

The above bolded, I'm just making sure you understood Shay's comment about the said writer:

I simply said it's possible.  :) 

I mean I typed 596 words in this thread and it's only 1pm... :)

If Mike allowed political discussions, I'm sure I could belt out 10k words or more today.

1 minute ago, Terra said:

Shoot, if I were to write everything in one day rather than speaking it, I would have 25,000 in a day. :lol:

Miss Talks Alot Terra :P

You sound like you need dragon naturally speaking.

Somewhat Related: This usually works for me to get motivated to write.

Get Angry...

I mean like seriously full of jealousy and rage.

Right now, there's some 18 year old douche bag driving a $100,000+ modified WRX, making 3 times as much as you, doing basically nothing, because they made a Youtube channel where they sit there and play video games all day.

True Story.

It's your turn.

9 minutes ago, Terra said:

Shoot, if I were to write everything in one day rather than speaking it, I would have 25,000 in a day. :lol:

Miss Talks Alot Terra :P

You sure that's a number you're comfortable with?  Seems a little low.  :wub: 

Man am I going to pay for that one! 

It's the cold medicine...... I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!! 

17 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

You sure that's a number you're comfortable with?  Seems a little low.  :wub: 

Man am I going to pay for that one! 

It's the cold medicine...... I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!! 

My Pastor always said that men speak on average 12,000 words a day, women, 25,000 and then announced to the congregation that God gave me a double portion anointing, and they all said, "A-men!" Hahaha!

So, you were correct cold medicine or not. :P

Terra

2 hours ago, mki said:

* FFS — What A Buncha Crap Is Comin' Up Next! *

Gonna offer myself up as an unusual channel.

One week only. Special offer. Cos I am so frickin' stoopid.

Send me your stuff an' I'll mebbe mangle it forward.

* tweakolicious *

Message Moi if'n your words're bustin' out on crapola rn an' you wanna REAL LIVE EXPERT DITZ in on your SHIT.

I would have thought that most career writers would write thousands a day. Not tens of thousands, but at least 2 or 3 thousand.  That's not much more than a long article.  It's the research, if needed, that gets real bulky.  Figure though, that the average person who writes can type at least 50 wph. - that's 3000 words in an hour.  Put everything else together that goes with the typing and you're still talking a shorter day than most people work outside the home.  If you're writing subjects that you actually know about so can cut the research, it's a much shorter day. If you're writing about a lot of things you have to really research, I'd think it would show in the text pretty badly, though. 

Beats doing accounting 8 hours a day. I don't know how people can do that.