Could Twitter be dying?

Some bad news for Twitter... User growth is flat. In the U.S., it actually declined this past quarter.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/27/technology/business/twitter-earnings/index.html

Haven't looked into this too much, but my gut feeling is that Snapchat is eating into their user base. 

I don't know if anyone else has tried advertising with Twitter ads, but they were some of the worst performing ads I have ever run. I'm sure that is not helping. 

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes

I can see why twitters popularity is on the decline, a lot of people I know have deleted their accounts and don't care too much for it anymore. Snapchat and Instagram are the go to apps, for my age group at least. I think twitter is making some good business moves though, like this past season they started to stream certain NFL games live. That definitely brought me there and the live sports games work hand in hand with the platform.

I always wondered how twitter ads perform. I've only heard a few people even talk about them. Lol and I always wondered how good the ROI can be from paying someone like Lebron James 140,000 for a single tweet. 

Apparently Twitter is still up 7 million active users for 2017.

Don't take news from sites like CNN so cut and dry, they usually contradict their own content (negative vs positive), even in a very short time frame. They like playing both sides of the fence just to be dramatic (clickbait).

CNN source 1

Twitter reported Thursday that its monthly user base in the U.S. declined to 68 million in the most recent quarter from 70 million in the previous quarter.

CNN source 2

Twitter (TWTR, Tech30) added 9 million monthly active users in the first quarter of this year, shattering Wall Street estimates and helping to send the stock up more than 10% in early trading Wednesday.

• 2 months later...

I don't think they're dying, I think they just fill a niche in social media and are still finding their place. Assuming CNN is correct about their international user base at 328 million, that's nothing to sneeze at.