Finding Business Directories / How to Evaluate Quality

Earlier today I started to look for directories for a b2b company. The first thing I did was look at some competitors and I compiled a list of directories where they were listed. Some directories that our competitors have ask for reciprocal links, which I know is not a good sign. A few are asking for payment ranging from $10 to $300 (either annually or a one time fee).

I guess my main question is how do I tell what a quality directory is and is it a common practice to pay for submission to directories? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but how do I decide that directory A is worth paying X. Right now all I am looking at is the amount of links, broken links, and the moz bar metrics. Also, how many should I take my time submitting to?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes

For most of my clients, I spend about $2000 or more on directory links in the first month or two.

A few that I always use

• botw.org
  • joeant.com
  • stpt.com
  • business.com
  • avivadirectory.com

There are a lot more.

Mainly what I want to see is that they are moderated and there are not a ton of crappy sites in them. I want to see the page my link will show up on. Unless it is a huge directory like BOTW, I usually want to make sure my link will be on a page that has 10-15 or fewer other sites listed. I don't want to be on a page with 50 of us, or buried on page 17 of that category. If the directory mentions anything about SEO, PR, Moz metrics, etc. I just skip it. 

If I can find industry specific directories, those are great too. Supplement directory for a supplement business, legal directory for a lawyer, etc. 

4 hours ago, gnojham said:

mike, how big is your typical client (revenue wise)? i assume your spend is determined by competition difficulty, or do you always just blast away as part of SOP?

Minimum is about $1500/month right now for most clients.

I do the directories for almost everyone.

For local SEO clients, I add in Yext's service as well.

23 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

For most of my clients, I spend about $2000 or more on directory links in the first month or two.

A few that I always use

• botw.org
  • joeant.com
  • stpt.com
  • business.com
  • avivadirectory.com

There are a lot more.

Mainly what I want to see is that they are moderated and there are not a ton of crappy sites in them. I want to see the page my link will show up on. Unless it is a huge directory like BOTW, I usually want to make sure my link will be on a page that has 10-15 or fewer other sites listed. I don't want to be on a page with 50 of us, or buried on page 17 of that category. If the directory mentions anything about SEO, PR, Moz metrics, etc. I just skip it. 

If I can find industry specific directories, those are great too. Supplement directory for a supplement business, legal directory for a lawyer, etc. 

Shhh.... Don't give away all the good stuff.

I love directories too, especially in small niches where internet marketers try to compete for free. It's a place I can get a link where I know my competitors never will. Cheap bastards. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 11:11 AM, Mike Friedman said:

A few that I always use

• botw.org
  • joeant.com
  • stpt.com
  • business.com
  • avivadirectory.com

So if I were to spend the $1,300 or so to sign up with these directories, it would help my older website rank better?  Or is this something better to do on a new website?

Will there be a return on investment?  

Ive gotten so screwed that ive become really gunshy :(

4 hours ago, Wirenut said:

So if I were to spend the $1,300 or so to sign up with these directories, it would help my older website rank better?  Or is this something better to do on a new website?

Will there be a return on investment?  

Ive gotten so screwed that ive become really gunshy :(

I cannot say for sure that you will notice a significant difference. A lot depends on your competition. 

I do it for every site I work on, new or old.

10 minutes ago, Wirenut said:

The reason I was curious is because it seems like it's buying links, and buying them out in the open.   I thought Google was against that type of thing.  

Google is not against buying links. In fact, several times they have mentioned directories like BOTW in a positive light.

They are against buying links for the sole purpose of manipulating PageRank. If a directory charges a fee for reviewing a listing, they are completely fine with that.