Sign in to follow this  
marciayudkin

Have you gotten local publicity?

Hi everyone,

I'm repurposing some existing content into a new online course on how to get local publicity.

If you have received local media coverage for your business or a nonprofit that you're involved with, I may be able to feature you briefly as an example in the course.  I'd describe what you did to get the publicity in a couple of sentences and also use a photo of you or your product.

I'm particularly interested in examples where you used social media in this effort, such as Twitter, YouTube or Facebook.

As I said, my focus is LOCAL publicity.  National publicity of course is wonderful but that's not my topic this time around.

You can instant-message me here, post the example publicly or email me.

Thank you!

Marcia Yudkin

SEMrush

I've gotten local publicity several times over the years.

Once was contacted by a local reporter who had a "question of the week" he'd answer for a viewer. The question was about ways to work from home, and he did a search and found me and my work at home moms group in almost every top ten search result. He called for an interview and I got a spot on the local news that was picked up by a few other stations in neighboring states.

Other times I got local publicity was done the traditional way: sending out a press release to local reporters.

I can give more details via PM if you need them. :) 

Once was contacted by a local reporter who had a "question of the week" he'd answer for a viewer. The question was about ways to work from home, and he did a search and found me and my work at home moms group in almost every top ten search result. He called for an interview and I got a spot on the local news that was picked up by a few other stations in neighboring states.

Thanks!  I like this example.  Can you please send me your full name and location as well as the station you first got publicity on?

Thanks again.

Marcia

I've gotten local media attention for my clients.  Some examples:

One client does pony rides at a well known fall festival every year.  I keep an eye out for when the local stations are going there and I use her FB page to like, comment and promote the fall festival to the news station.  I keep it low key as far as promoting her business, but the 'likes' I get from the owner of the fall festival and his fans in combination with her fans, seems to do well.  The news stations mention her even if she's not there.  She's only there on the weekends and often times the news stations are there during the week.  

A local landscaper client of mine does the home and garden shows.  Using the above example, I do the same for him.  He wins awards of some kind every year and the stations will feature him.  

This year, a local station was advertising a 'shout out' to businesses that donated $20.00 to their turkey drive.  "A donation of 20 could feed a whole family".  I used that for 3 of my clients.

Weird enough, some local talk stations, you know, the AM kind... will do 'shout outs' to local businesses if someone else calls in to promote them!  "I used X company and they were great!" kind of thing.  I've done this before for the clients I barter with.  Because I use them for my needs, I am a customer.

Because I am in a very specific niche with one of my business's, I comment a lot on one of my favorite radio station's FB page.  I have been on air with them a few times.  I never promote my business on air, I let them do it.  When people listen to the show, go to FB and see 'me', it drives traffic like crazy.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I threw it out there.  Hope it helped! 

~ Theresa

Because I am in a very specific niche with one of my business's, I comment a lot on one of my favorite radio station's FB page.  I have been on air with them a few times.  I never promote my business on air, I let them do it.  When people listen to the show, go to FB and see 'me', it drives traffic like crazy.

Hi Theresa,

Thanks!  This may be an example I can use.  I'll need your full name, the niche you're in, the kind of comments you post on the FB page and what they put you on the air to discuss.  Can you please email me that info?

Thanks very much.

Marcia