Sign in to follow this  
Lanfear63

Rupert Sheldrake Banned Ted Talk

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

That isn't a posh accent, more he's just well spoken which you would expect from a man named Rupert, probably.

Slightly amusing story, to me anyway. 10 years or so ago the company I worked for were stripping and re-tiling a Kent peg roof on a fairly large house in the country. The "client" (hate that word) was an actor who had been living in New Zealand and had returned home to England with his family. Anyway we were on the roof and every now and then somebody kept saying "roofers" but you could only just hear him. I was thinking to myself that if he wanted us for something he should call out louder as we're up on the roof banging away (the battens were getting nailed big time) and it was becoming a bit annoying. So eventually I thought I'd go and see if he's collapsed or something so I started to make my way off the roof. Half way down the ladder I see him and then I see his young son. Turns out his son was called Ruphus.

A Lord of the manor was in the bath and farted at the same time his crusty old butler, "Wibble" was passing by the door. Ten minutes later the butler knocked at the door, was ushered in and presented his master with a hot water bottle. "I did not ask for that" said the Lord. 

"But Sir", said the butler, "I was passing by the door and I swear I heard you say: "What About A Water Bottle Wibble" "

3 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I watched the whole thing. Honestly, I wish you wouldn't post this kind of drivel. 

It's a shame. A respected, even inspiring researcher that got seduced by pseudoscience and new age mythology. A brilliant mind lost. 

It's a pity that your vision on this is so narrow. One day you may realize that the motives, focus and directions of what we call "Science" these days is for the large part, totally geared for and funded for profit and so blinkered with narrow channels of research. Pure science, the science of discovery, understanding and the free sharing of it, for it's own sake has been throttled

I have told you this many times of course as have a few others. Your continued denial will exponentially increase the chances of a random terror attack on your SS headquarters. 

52 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

It's a pity that your vision on this is so narrow.

I want to address that. 

i do indeed have a narrow view. But why is that? Why isn't my mind open to every idea that you (or others) post/write/discuss?

Because not everything is a mystery. Not everything is unknowable. Sometimes, the answer is arrived at through reasoning, testing, you know..rational thinking and science.

For example, if you have a math problem and the answer is "5". you could say that I have a very narrow view, because I think any answer besides "5" is nonsense. But sometimes the answer is really "5". And some people think that any answer is valid and should be discussed and treated as equally possible. 

But not all things are equally possible. Not all statements are equally true or have equal weight. It isn't a matter of being narrow minded. It's a matter of seeing a really bad argument, where the reasoning is faulty. 

And although this probably isn't true in every case, if an argument for an idea is irrational (even though it sounds poetic) I assume the conclusion is wrong as well.

This man's argument, his examples, his reasoning were all terrible. But, he speaks eloquently. His theory is nonsense. It assumes things that are not true at all. He reminds me of Deepak Chopra. A beautiful idea that isn't held together with anything but poetic speech and imagination. 

I have made two huge mistakes on this thread. For some season I cannot fathom, I decided to watch the video, even though I know from experience that it was a mistake. Then I commented. For some reason I have a compulsion to comment on bad thinking. It's a personal flaw that will probably never go away. I wish it would.

4 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I keep wondering why I post these things. What inner need do they serve? It's not like I think I'll win an argument, or change your mind, or even be entertained. I'll give t more thought

You are like me, you see a thing you have knowledge or opinions about, you are compelled to comment. no shame in that.

I have probably said much of this before. The geophysicist who notices weathering at the bottom of the Spinx, takes a picture, covers over all but the weathering and shows it to Egyptologists and scientists, what's that he say's, it's weathering by water they say, he reveals the whole picture. Go away they say. Why, because he just proved beyond all doubt  that the Egyptian civilization   and  the sphinx is ten thousand years old, not 5000 (no water plains there 5000 years ago), which is still the accepted view. Think of the revision needed, the inconvenience of it all, the re-write of history needed, so just go away is what they say.

Pitiful, really pitiful, and that's how impartial, fair and true a lot of  science and research is today. this is the theory, we are sticking with it, despite them being blown away. Brushed under the carpet.

The other thing to remember is that just because a few learned people are doing decent research that the pay, per do, funded mainstream are not, it does not nessesaraly make them any less credible in there findings. 

Now run a long and serve Dan Riffle who has just popped up with a comment.

Ahh, a post change, a woman's prerogative i suppose. 

Thank you for posting this.  I've put his book on my to-read list.   He had me from the first of his ten dogmas.  He's absolutely right that "human beings are machines" is both unproven and unprovable.  It's a picture of how the world operates that people decide to adopt not because it's proven but because it seems to them to make the world easier to understand.  That's not the same as it being true.

Also, his point about the scientific constants being true by definition is illuminating and astute.

From an instance in my own community, I know that the TED organization really hates what they regard as pseudoscience and they are not open to reasonable discussion at all about it.  This is an excellent talk and not an example of pseudoscience in the slightest.

3 hours ago, marciayudkin said:

Thank you for posting this.  I've put his book on my to-read list.   He had me from the first of his ten dogmas.  He's absolutely right that "human beings are machines" is both unproven and unprovable.  It's a picture of how the world operates that people decide to adopt not because it's proven but because it seems to them to make the world easier to understand.  That's not the same as it being true.

Also, his point about the scientific constants being true by definition is illuminating and astute.

From an instance in my own community, I know that the TED organization really hates what they regard as pseudoscience and they are not open to reasonable discussion at all about it.  This is an excellent talk and not an example of pseudoscience in the slightest.

Just stop it !! You make me sick with your highly  reasonable and very rational thoughts

1 hour ago, discrat said:

Just stop it !! You make me sick with your highly  reasonable and very rational thoughts

Gee, Claude hacked into another account, sigh!

:o