An insanely practical business question about... laundry

marciayudkin

Sal - I'm sure you're right and I was not suggesting doing both...that wouldn't make sense.  I know large numbers of people are now allergic to many chemical substances so using NONE of them would be best and advertising that turns 'lack of scent' into a positive point.  I don't have those allergies so that often doesn't occur to me when a product is one I've used for years with no problem.

For non-trade blogs, seems 'sounds like' is good enough. I doubt any of the ingredients are 'good' for you - but we want to 'kill germs' yet don't want any 'harmful chemicals'...not sure we can have it both ways but there's always vinegar.

Unless the claim is that these companies are inserting toxic chemicals into their products and not listing those chemicals as 'ingredients'...the list of 'dangerous chemicals' for Febreeze are not quite right, at least for the spray I use.Sites warning of Febreeze seem to confuse propylene glycol with ethylene glycol - and confuse other ingredients, too. 

benzisothiazolinone (BIT) - preservative and microbial  (and listed as a Febreeze ingredient)is not the same as

Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), also known as dibutylhydroxytoluene (known to be toxic in high doses) - not listed on Febreeze air spray ingredients.

Tuffluffle, I know...fortunately I think marcia got the help she needed here - in spite of me.

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
On 4/5/2018 at 8:29 PM, Tagiscom said:

We have something similar to Frebreeze in AU Sal, and it claims that it is scent free, and removes smoke, and other smells.

It does remove smells but only for a day, and it claims to not leave any residue, but it does tend to leave a very slightly stickyness to the surface you spray over.

Some say that it doesn't and others say it does, but either way l wouldn't touch that stuff.

B) PS l know perfect opening to a Claude joke...

Scent free - removes smoke, yadda, yadda -- means nothing.  It's the ingredients that matter.  And even a list can fool people unless they are chemists because a lot of fairly safe chemicals will react really badly when mixed with other things.  

Some things advertised as "safe" over here, aren't even starting to be.  

You might consider changing over to non-toxic cleaners for everything - then advertise your place as toxin-free cleaned.  You might find that there's a lot of people out there that will choose you first. 

Theoretically this sounds like a great idea.  From bitter experience, though, I have learned that people who are fussy about one thing tend to be fussy and complaining about a lot of other things as well.  This is a general observation and not intended as a comment about anyone in particular.

For example, someone who has a lot of food phobias and always makes special requests at restaurants is much less likely to be happy with a meal than, let's say, I am.  I'd much rather get the folks who are easy to please than those who have a lot of prerequisites ahead of time.

2 hours ago, yukon said:

It's odd that someone would sleep on a bare mattress in a rental while complaining about sheets that were once on the same mattress.

I slept in a hotel...and was going to sleep on the floor, because I remembered that other people had slept on the same mattress. Then I thought that someone may have slept on that spot on the floor before...so I slept in my car. The room cost me $199. 

This is the review I left, "I think that charging $199 a night, just so I can sleep in my car is a little high. If I'm just going to sleep in my car, I think next time, I'll choose a cheaper hotel".

I think they got the message.

12 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I slept in a hotel...and was going to sleep on the floor, because I remembered that other people had slept on the same mattress. Then I thought that someone may have slept on that spot on the floor before...so I slept in my car. The room cost me $199. 

This is the review I left, "I think that charging $199 a night, just so I can sleep in my car is a little high. If I'm just going to sleep in my car, I think next time, I'll choose a cheaper hotel".

I think they got the message.

It's cheaper If you pay for the motel room by the hour.

52 minutes ago, yukon said:

It's cheaper If you pay for the motel room by the hour.

What if I only pay for an hour, but sleep in my car all night? You didn't think of that, did you?

I brought a girlfriend to a hotel once and they told me it was $75 for an hour. I was startled when they asked her "So Charlene, do you want the usual room?", and they gave her a volume discount. 

31 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

What if I only pay for an hour, but sleep in my car all night? You didn't think of that, did you?

I brought a girlfriend to a hotel once and they told me it was $75 for an hour. I was startled when they asked her "So Charlene, do you want the usual room?", and they gave her a volume discount. 

She probably gave you a volume discount,  too. 

Just now, Lanfear63 said:

The hotel usually gives Claude a Bulk discount

Sorry Mark. You get no points for changing "volume" to "Bulk".  It would be the same if you changed the sentence "Dan Riffle is a diminutive, smelly, sweaty, troll like gnome that scares pregnant women...and causes their babies to look like him" to "Dan Riffle is a short, smelly, sweaty, troll like gnome that scares pregnant women...and causes their babies to look like him"

See? Now go back under your rock.

8 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Sorry Mark. You get no points for changing "volume" to "Bulk".  It would be the same if you changed the sentence "Dan Riffle is a diminutive, smelly, sweaty, troll like gnome that scares pregnant women...and causes their babies to look like him" to "Dan Riffle is a short, smelly, sweaty, troll like gnome that scares pregnant women...and causes their babies to look like him"

See? Now go back under your rock.

The hotel usually gives Claude a Gross discount

9 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Eight minutes of begging and crying....two minutes of apologies....a lifetime of self loathing and Chlamydia .

Better than a tear stained air mattress in the back of a panel van?

Lol, I think it was Barney Stinson who said that once on How I met your mother TV show.

13 hours ago, yukon said:

Better than a tear stained air mattress in the back of a panel van?

Lol, I think it was Barney Stinson who said that once on How I met your mother TV show.

I've had many affairs in my life. We would meet in sleazy motels. All these women would insist on separate rooms...on separate floors.....and they refused to tell me which room they were in. 

this next thing is true.

years ago, married to my current wife, we were walking in a mall. I went into the Men's room while my wife waited on a long bench in the walkway. When I came out, she was sitting between two women. I calmly walked up to the three of them...pondered for a few seconds and pointed to my wife saying "I'll take this one"....and she got up without a word, and we walked away. 

Moments like that I cherish.

52 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

years ago, married to my current wife, we were walking in a mall. I went into the Men's room while my wife waited on a long bench in the walkway. When I came out, she was sitting between two women. I calmly walked up to the three of them...pondered for a few seconds and pointed to my wife saying "I'll take this one"....and she got up without a word, and we walked away. 

Moments like that I cherish.

Those two Lady-Boys were most disappointed though.

29 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

Those two Lady-Boys were most disappointed though.

Especially when Claude was wearing his, "I Suck" black and white body tight T-shirt with matching cap, and giant bucket of KFC under one arm and a bonus plastic garden gnome with can of whipped cream under the other, (he did the grocery shopping).

:P

2 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

this next thing is true.

As she was getting up from the bench did she sigh, roll her eyes and mumble "Damn, he figured out which one was me."?

1 hour ago, yukon said:

As she was getting up from the bench did she sigh, roll her eyes and mumble "Damn, he figured out which one was me."?

We got on an airplane once and we somehow got seats in different aisles. I went to the guy sitting next to my wife and said "I hate to ask, but I noticed this beautiful woman sitting next to you. Do you mind if we trade seats? I think I have a chance of getting lucky".

She did the same as she did in the mall, a perfectly straight face, and no comment at all. 

The thing that makes me truly happy, is bringing a smile to her face, or making her laugh. 

27 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

We got on an airplane once and we somehow got seats in different aisles. I went to the guy sitting next to my wife and said "I hate to ask, but I noticed this beautiful woman sitting next to you. Do you mind if we trade seats? I think I have a chance of getting lucky".

She did the same as she did in the mall, a perfectly straight face, and no comment at all. 

The thing that makes me truly happy, is bringing a smile to her face, or making her laugh. 

When my wife and I go out to eat and have to wait on a table, I tell them the name is Cartwright.