Tips for writing a classic romantic novel

Krisvertelo

Grow your online visibility

Romance blossoms forevah.

That ain't troo, nowan frickin' here rn.

See, cos alla us busted outta sweethearts smoochied up..

Eacha them figured on sumthin' equally timeless an' time-centric said

I WANT YOUR LIPS UP SO CLOSE ON MY FACE IMA SMOOSHIE LIKE IDC BUT ACTSCHWLLY DEEP DOWN I SO KINDA DO.

Course, nowan quotes nuthin' like that in no romance novel, cos that be TELLIN' ... naht SHOWIN'.

So I would wanna lay on CANDLES in the BOUDOIR where the ultimate blendyjuicy SWANKS THE HELL ON OUT bcs ignition metaphors play supermaxo amongst the sekshwaally numbed.

Hey, but thing is, whatever the classics dust out, an' whatever modernity demands as Snoopy dancin' spunkz, romance is happnin' — in your neighborhood, your coffee bar, your workplace, your mall, LIKE THERE IS NUTHIN' ELSE GOWIN' ON BUT MWAH MWAH MWAH MWAH MWAH.

Jus' gotta go these places, sit all incognito kinda generous vampire ... an' watch evrywan smoochie the the unsaid words on out.

ARE YOU SUGGESTING HERE THAT ROMANCE IS SO VERY MUCH ALIVE IT COULD LEAP RIGHT UP AND SNAP ON YOUR ASS WHILE YOU ARE TAKING A PEE AT MEBBE 3am, O PRINCESS?

Aw yeah, cos when my panties trailin' round my ankles an' my knees kissin' up close jus' for sumthin' to frickin' do ... for sure I am forever gazin' on out past time an' space for succor.

Guy got a PONY, mebbe I mute alla my bestie contacts for like 24hrs.

Tellya, las' time a guy broke my heart, my shoulder blades busted offa my back like I was a winged demon never gonna walk again.

Thankfully, my Yoga teacher said YEAH to my musical yoga pants.

Way I see it, we got heart an' head an' soul an' spirit ... all slooshyin' up together in a menage-a-quoi we mebbe ain't figured yet.

Ain't that whatchya wanna reach for an' touch on, always?

16 hours ago, Princess Balestra said:

ARE YOU SUGGESTING HERE THAT ROMANCE IS SO VERY MUCH ALIVE IT COULD LEAP RIGHT UP AND SNAP ON YOUR ASS WHILE YOU ARE TAKING A PEE AT MEBBE 3am, O PRINCESS?

^^^ This!  Princess is right, romance is very much alive, even in this fast paced world of instant gratification.  

10 hours ago, Krisvertelo said:

Wow. Sorry but I'm speechless. First off, you write great, and I kind of get where you're coming at. I just hope I don't misunderstand. True that, it is what it is. I just want to write a romantic novel with wholesomeness and positive vibes.

We live in a throw away society.  Yet, they still ask our school kids to read the classics, right?  It's because they're well written, and actually have a story behind them and not "Wanna drink beer and play PS2?"  (Virtual sex?)... LOL.. 

An example is Terra.  She is about to publish her second children's book and they're based in a time when none of this technology was even available.  Kids actually had to play outside, do stuff!  The children that are reading her first book, are loving it!  Her stories are full of adventure and all of it was right outside her front door, and some of it inside the house!  

Point being that yes, you can succeed with a wholesome romantic novel full of positive vibes.  The modern audience, I suspect, is still has a yearning for a well written love story.  No matter the era, passion and romance will stay the same, they are timeless.  

~ Theresa

On 7/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, Krisvertelo said:

Today is definitely different from yesterday when it comes to relationships. How do you write a classic romantic novel without losing the modern audience? Will it work?

I think that even a modern audience wants to know that there is true, lasting love. (Or at least the potential for it.) You can always flash forward with the epilogue and say how the couple was together for 50 years, had kids, etc.

Many relationships just start differently than they used to. Now you have online dating, social media, etc. My parents were introduced by my mom's (my) cousin, who was friends with my dad. I met my 1st husband at a skating rink. Now you have people meeting with websites and apps.

You have different issues, too. It used to take time to get to know each other. Now you can look at someone's FB/Twitter profile and get a pretty good idea of who they are, what they like, and how they treat their friends.

People today are also looking for novels that reflect a changing society: LGBTQIA relationships, non-traditional relationships (like poly), etc. 

I met my boyfriend on Twitter. We started talking 5 years ago. Started dating around 3-ish years ago. We lived 1000 miles apart. I moved to Boston 2 years ago. It been amazing and wonderful, and I'd never have met him without Twitter and the Internet. :) 

But you could have a classic romance novel set in the current day: two people meet in a traditional way (through friends, at the grocery store, etc.) even after trying the apps and web.

Or write a novel that tells of a romance long ago -- 20 years or 200. 

The important thing is to write what you want to write. People will either like it or not -- and that's fine. Your work will resonate with the people who think like you do. :) 

Hope this helps.

Internally passionate yet culturally constrained DOWNTON STYLE servant gal Lucy SIMPLY COULD NOT HELP HERSELF when her Lordship's "Old friend from my Egyptian days" swankied forth from the horse-drawn carriage brandishing SRSLY WANNA WANNA curvature in the WITHIN TOUCHIN' DISTANCE legwear department.

An embarrassingly visible ROUGE flushed Lucy's face — powered from down deep by fleshy tumescence to fix up Hollywood with weirdsy alien prosthetics till 2079.

"Can I take your bag?" she said, barely able to carry herself with the essential kinda respectability demanded of these FOR SURE NOWAN WANTSTA LICK ON THEIR SWEETIES REAL YUMMO, THIS WHOLE SHOW JUS' BOUT DEPORTMENT TECHNIQUES AN' SHOWIN' HOW ACTSCHWLLY EASY MOST OUTFITS IRON IN 2018 dramas.

"Such is your duty," barked THE LORDSHIP'S OLD EGYPTIAN FRIEND, "but please be aware that my bag is remarkably heavy and contains majesties as would turn the heads of the very Gods."

Later that night, as Lucy lay in her bed ... her starch-blasted sheets pinnin' her so far away from her dreams she could die ... aw yeah, that one was real frickin' juicy.

On the morrow, she rose up and POURED THE GUY A CUP OF TEA, moderating her just-so pot-to-cup action with a raging firecracker of suppressed muscular spasms meant her toes never finally undid till the followin' full moon.

(I feel a bodice ripper comin' on. To hell with sellin' cheese for vipers!)

Wow. Thanks for all the ideas. I'm a fan of traditional romance, long before the modern technology was born. I kind of want to remember how it was back then, and I feel bad for the current and future generations that they wouldn't be able to know the feeling of not relying on the internet too much - just romance as it is, or should I say as it was. *Sigh*