It's time to dump Yoast

So over the past week I have been working on moving every site I own and every client site I work with that runs on Wordpress away from Yoast.

Many of you know the story about the glitch they had this summer with their update in May. It caused many sites to tank. I had two clients impacted by it, but fortunately not drastically. 

That's not the worst part of the story. The worst part was that several people brought the issue to their attention fairly quickly. They waited almost 3 months to acknowledge the problem and put a fix out for it along with a half-hearted apology.

That's just not acceptable.

A few people have asked me for alternatives to Yoast. I've tried a few of the other plugins and the one I am moving to is SEO Press (not to be confused with SEO Pressor). There is a free version, but I'm using the paid version, which is $39/yr for unlimited sites.

If I had to pick a second option, it would probably be the All-in-One SEO plugin, but I really do not care for their interface at all.

SEO Press doesn't have all the green buttons that Yoast does on individual posts, but I do not use those anyhow. It has everything else I need and would recommend.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

17 hours ago, MarcDantes said:

I have seen few people recommend the SEO framework plugin. It's a bit more expensive than the one suggested by Mike.

If you are managing more than 1 site, it is A LOT more expensive. For 5 sites, it is $199/year. That is ridiculous considering it doesn't really provide anything that other plugins are offering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 12:31 PM, Mike Friedman said:

So over the past week I have been working on moving every site I own and every client site I work with that runs on Wordpress away from Yoast.

Many of you know the story about the glitch they had this summer with their update in May. It caused many sites to tank. I had two clients impacted by it, but fortunately not drastically. 

That's not the worst part of the story. The worst part was that several people brought the issue to their attention fairly quickly. They waited almost 3 months to acknowledge the problem and put a fix out for it along with a half-hearted apology.

That's just not acceptable.

A few people have asked me for alternatives to Yoast. I've tried a few of the other plugins and the one I am moving to is SEO Press (not to be confused with SEO Pressor). There is a free version, but I'm using the paid version, which is $39/yr for unlimited sites.

If I had to pick a second option, it would probably be the All-in-One SEO plugin, but I really do not care for their interface at all.

SEO Press doesn't have all the green buttons that Yoast does on individual posts, but I do not use those anyhow. It has everything else I need and would recommend.

After our chat on Skype the other day, I went ahead and made the switch on my sites. It was pretty seamless. Cool thing about SEO Press that you forgot to mention is that it has a feature that lets you import all your setting directly from Yoast with the click of a button. You don't have to go in and set everything up on every page or change all the settings in the menu to what you want. You just hit a button and in 10 seconds it is all done for you.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I saw some chatter in a couple of groups today that Yoast may have done this again with a recent update. This time it was impacting galleries and a few other things. Probably not as far-reaching of an issue as most sites don't use galleries, but you would think they would have learned.

It's like a gas station pumping sugar into your gas tank. If they can't figure out their priorities, that company and their plugin is dead and I would bet on it, seriously, dump it. There's other solutions that work just fine.

I have to be honest, even if it were not for the F ups of Yoast, I like SEOPress so much better. It just feels less intrusive, simpler, and less bloated.

I probably never would have gone looking for it or considered it if Yoast had not fouled up a few of my sites, so there is that.

On 10/2/2018 at 12:45 PM, Mike Friedman said:

I saw some chatter in a couple of groups today that Yoast may have done this again with a recent update. This time it was impacting galleries and a few other things. Probably not as far-reaching of an issue as most sites don't use galleries, but you would think they would have learned.

This happened to me, Mike.  I couldn't figure out why my galleries (I have some real estate sites), went all wonky.  Some were just... gone.  🙀

Lesson learned.  

18 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Sorry to hear you were one of the ones impacted.

What's sad is I used to use the All in One, I can't remember why I quite using it.  

I'll switch to the SEO Press.  I really like that you said it was seamless and it doesn't have the little nagging color buttons like Yoast.  :)