Bohemian Rhapsody

Mike Friedman

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

14 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Just saw it. Amazing. 

Rami Malek nailed Freddie. Absolutely nailed him. Especially the live performances. 

I recommend seeing it in IMAX. When will you ever get a chance to hear Queen in IMAX?

It got an average reception at Rotten Tomatoes. A sort of straight laced biopic. One for the fans. Not provocative or flamboyant. What would you give it out of 100 on those observations?

23 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

It got an average reception at Rotten Tomatoes. A sort of straight laced biopic. One for the fans. Not provocative or flamboyant. What would you give it out of 100 on those observations?

This is an example of why movie critics should be utterly ignored. Read the fan feedback. It's overwhelmingly positive.

Most of the critical reviews complained because the film did not dive deep enough into the seedier parts of Freddie's life. They didn't hide it though. You could easily make a film R-rated if you really wanted to go into Freddie's life in excruciating detail. It's a fun movie about a flamboyant personality.

The critics seemed to want a trashier film. They complained about what the film could have been instead of really analyzing what it was.

The only thing I would have liked to see is more performances that we never saw or heard of. There were a lot of well-known performances that were recreated. That being said, the Live Aid performance recreation was done excellently. 

Would have been kind of fun to see the attempted collaboration between Freddie and Michael Jackson too. If those stories are true, that sounded like a pretty hilarious and odd story to tell.

Haven't seen it and it's not showing on Imax here, however the local cinema is showing it about 6 times a day, so I might just make my first trip to a cinema since The Return Of The King (:o).

From what I've read and heard so far, Malek looks like being a hot contender for next year's Oscars. What a range he's got. Freddie Mercury is pretty much the exact polar opposite of his character in Mr Robot, which he portrays brilliantly. Literally one extreme to the other.

As for Rotten Tomatoes goes, the critics are giving it 60%, but the audiences are giving it 95%. See it yourself and make your mind up seems to be the best bet.

52 minutes ago, whateverpedia said:

As for Rotten Tomatoes goes, the critics are giving it 60%, but the audiences are giving it 95%

I was just commenting on it being the fans liking the film for the excellent take off of Freddie and the reproduction of their live performances. Does it make it a great film or just an average run through with some good bits though. I liked queen, even had some of their albums, but I would wait for the DVD etc.

The Star Trek re-boot films, I really enjoyed but what if it had been a new set of characters, not previously done. would I have sought out seeing it or liked it as much.

9 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

I was just commenting on it being the fans liking the film for the excellent take off of Freddie and the reproduction of their live performances. Does it make it a great film or just an average run through with some good bits though. I liked queen, even had some of their albums, but I would wait for the DVD etc.

The Star Trek re-boot films, I really enjoyed but what if it had been a new set of characters, not previously done. would I have sought out seeing it or liked it as much.

No surprizes there, if a movie has a great story, then they tend to salivate, but if it has an ok story, and great visuals then it is usually knocked.

I would consider seeing Skyscraper in the Cinema's, but not First Man, and ignore the movie critics.

B)

10 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

No surprizes there, if a movie has a great story, then they tend to salivate, but if it has an ok story, and great visuals then it is usually knocked.

I would consider seeing Skyscraper in the Cinema's, but not First Man, and ignore the movie critics.

B)

It does have a great story. It's Freddie Fucking Mercury.

And you actually have it backward. A movie like Avatar had a story that was total rubbish. It was just a complete dumpster fire. One of the worst stories in a movie ever. But it was shot in 3D with a ton of CGI effects. Critics liked it. Anyone with a brain did not.

14 minutes ago, whateverpedia said:

Or as it was originally known back in 1974, The Towering Inferno.

The Towering inferno was better than Skyscraper or it had a more complex story-line, the parallels between Dwayne Johnson's Earthquake movie, and this one are getting a good workout. 

Or in San Andrea's, someone in his family dies, and he gets put in the same situation, but saves her.

This one, same scenaro, first time he gets clobbered, second he wins out.

The critics, (from what l read, garaged Skyscraper) but l still found it entertaining enough to go and spend money in a movie theatre. Eventhough l ummed, to much and had to rent it instead.

If l had a choice between buying Skyscraper or Towering inferno, l would go for the TF one, because of a more memorable storyline, and soundtrack and plenty of great actors, (even Fred Astaire shows up).

B)

4 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

And you actually have it backward. A movie like Avatar had a story that was total rubbish. It was just a complete dumpster fire. One of the worst stories in a movie ever. But it was shot in 3D with a ton of CGI effects. Critics liked it. Anyone with a brain did not.

Those two movies should not be mentioned in the same post. 

Bohemian Rhapsody is about the greatest frontman we have ever seen.

Avatar is about giant Smurfs or something. I don't know. I couldn't sit through that shit fest. There are only 3 movies I have ever walked out of. That was one of them.

5 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Of course I'm really waiting for the John Deacon story.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:56 AM, Wunderkind said:

Those two movies should not be mentioned in the same post. 

Bohemian Rhapsody is about the greatest frontman we have ever seen.

Avatar is about giant Smurfs or something. I don't know. I couldn't sit through that shit fest. There are only 3 movies I have ever walked out of. That was one of them.

My bad.

This, of course, begs the question what were the other two?

On 11/7/2018 at 1:41 PM, Mike Friedman said:

My bad.

This, of course, begs the question what were the other two?

I could not remember the name of the one. I had to go look it up.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

I just looked at the cast of this movie and thought it had to be good. Always liked BIll Murray. Throw in Owen Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, William Dafoe, Cate Blanchett, and how could it be bad?

I still don't quite understand how that movie ever got made. 

The other one was Twilight. Some friends talked me into going to see it. I knew nothing about the books or the story other than there were vampires and werewolves. I was expecting something more Bram Stoker than whatever the hell that was.

For sure the Mercury guy got a whole buncha passion in his voice, an' he sure pulled off plenty flamboyance.

An' I would wanna figure how prolly evrywan got a Queen song on their playlist, same as evry minute there is an episode of Friends showin' sumplace.

For Moi, top Queen song is Somebody To Love bcs sumtimes you jus' wanna juice on out — but you don't got nowan gonna blendyjuicy withya.

From a straight perspective, song plays good that way.

But in retrospect I guess the deal is how much harder it woulda been back then as a gay guy an' that kinda gives the song an extra toucha emoshnl sumthin' beyond the intrinsic' yearnin' prolly applies equally to evrywan.

*sniff*

O my ... I am suddenly overcome ...

6 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I could not remember the name of the one. I had to go look it up.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

I just looked at the cast of this movie and thought it had to be good. Always liked BIll Murray. Throw in Owen Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, William Dafoe, Cate Blanchett, and how could it be bad?

I still don't quite understand how that move ever got made. 

We rented that one and were thinking the same thing. We watched the whole way to the end though because I just kept figuring it HAD to get better. It had to. Two and half hours later, I was wrong.

7 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

The other one was Twilight. Some friends talked me into going to see it. I knew nothing about the books or the story other than there were vampires and werewolves. I was expecting something more Bram Stoker than whatever the hell that was.

Respect. I refuse to watch those movies. 

The sad thing about Bohemian Rhapsody (the song) is that most people who have a copy of it in their collections, is that it's taken from the compilation album Queen's Greatest Hits. As such they believe that BohRhap is the most flamboyant, over the top song ever recorded.

Those of us who are older and have a copy of the A Night At The Opera album on which BohRhap appeared know that when compared with The Prophet's Song, BohRhap is very restrained. Minimalist even. Interestingly, The Prophet's Song, which goes places BohRhap fears to tread, was penned by Brian May, not the Mercurial one.

If you've never heard it before, strap yourself in for a treat as Messrs Deacon, May, Mercury and Taylor go COMPLETELY over the top. Crank it up as loud as your eardrums and house foundations can endure and enjoy.

37 minutes ago, whateverpedia said:

The sad thing about Bohemian Rhapsody (the song) is that most people who have a copy of it in their collections, is that it's taken from the compilation album Queen's Greatest Hits. A such they believe that BohRhap is the most flamboyant, over the top song ever recorded.

Those of us who are older and have a copy of the A Night At The Opera album on which BohRhap appeared know that when compared with The Prophet's Song, BohRhap is very restrained. Minimalist even. Interestingly, The Prophet's Song, which goes places BohRhap fears to tread, was penned by Brian May, not the Mercurial one.

If you've never heard it before, strap yourself in for a treat as Messrs Deacon, May, Mercury and Taylor go COMPLETELY over the top. Crank it up as loud as your eardrums and house foundations can endure and enjoy.

Admit it: this is just a Budgie Rickroll attempt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 2:25 AM, whateverpedia said:

Congratulations to Bohemian Rhapsody and Rami Malek for their wins at the Golden Globes.

A case where an OK film with some good moments and a good portrayal of the lead singer by an actor wins some awards. The lead singer portrayal, OK. The film itself, not OK. People were starved of a homage move to Queen and lapped it up. Does that make it a Great Movie..no, are their movies more worthy...yes.. It just struck a chord.