Stan Lee Is Dead

Claude Whitacre

Grow your online visibility

Aw no — we lost Cap'n Spidey.

Thing I love so 'bout alla the geeky an' nerdy tribyoots pilin' in is how clear it is we lost a real cultural icon.

Call me shallow, but without Lee, no way would Benedict Cumberbatch evah have thrown on a matchin' sexy cape & beard combo an' leveled me up to new heights of excessive friskiness.

An' for sure there is so much to be said 'bout imperfect mortals made good in the face of challenge when it comes to my reflections on Thor's helmet.

Hey, but listen, this is a sad day.

Trooly.

Guy packed storytellin' smarts allied to an irrepressible verve to carry 'em through.

An' at their heart was a warmin' hooman narrative.

You seen the @USAArmy tribyoot over on Twitter?

No reason why they had to do that other than ... yeah, Stan Lee.

14 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Our culture is shaped in no small part by this man and his influence. I felt the same way when I heard that Gene Colan and Jack Kirby had died. 

So who's the top man or men or women who were responsible for creating the wear your underpants on the outside,"Justice League" Are they all dead, were they equally famous?

1 hour ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Our culture is shaped in no small part by this man and his influence. I felt the same way when I heard that Gene Colan and Jack Kirby had died. 

Stan Lee is almost entirely responsible for the entirety of American mythology. Norse and Greek mythology developed over thousands of years.  This man did it over 70 years.  

We throw around platitudes like, "There will never be another one like him." I think it's safe to say it's going to be a long,  long time until a single person has such a coloss(us)al impact on the cultural zeitgeist. 

4 hours ago, Dan Riffle said:

Stan Lee is almost entirely responsible for the entirety of American mythology. Norse and Greek mythology developed over thousands of years.  This man did it over 70 years.  

We throw around platitudes like, "There will never be another one like him." I think it's safe to say it's going to be a long,  long time until a single person has such a coloss(us)al impact on the cultural zeitgeist. 

Can you redo it and snap the shot  maybe you standing about 3 feet back instead of 8 inches? Can't keep my eyes from that and it's not the most comfortable feeling

5 hours ago, Dan Riffle said:

The only person I can think who had anything like the impact Lee had was David Bowie. Neither of them are everyone's cup of tea, however even if you don't like their produce, you can't deny how much of an influence they had on pop-culture.

17 hours ago, Dan Riffle said:

Siegel and Shuster created Superman...the first super hero in a skin tight costume that wasn't a "Mystery man" . You could say that this started the trajectory of comics. But the total body of work that Lee did is unsurpassed. It's possible that without Lee there wouldn't be super hero comics today. And that means a completely different landscape in entertainment.

And you are right about our mythology. And it's an almost completely American phenomenon.

If you listen to an interview with Lee, it will astonish you how little thought went into the characters we love today. The Hulk is green because the original grey didn't print well. Spider-Man was almost called Fly-Man. And nearly every Marvel character we see today is a rework of a comic hero from the 1940s. The same with DC...reworked heroes..reworked story lines.

Lee was also a talented writer. It was his idea to give the heroes personal problems, the Fantastic Four bickering...the X-Men mutant hatred among humans....because of Lee we cared about the people behind the masks more than the hero. That's something DC missed. Lee invented the multi-issue story arc......forcing us to buy every issue to get the whole story.

I remember as a teenager reading the issues of The Silver Surfer (an incredibly ridiculous premise and name) and the language Lee used...the dialog was awe inspiring.  To this day, I remember some of the exchanges...the verbiage....stuff of legend. Doctor Doom's tirades, Namor's threats against the surface world...

"Do not mistake patience for weakness. For, I am the power and you are the pawn".....Silver Surfer.

"Again you substitute force for understanding! Again you would destroy that which you cannot comprehend! ... From cradle to grave — your lives are rooted in senseless violence! Since power is your god — I'll show you power — such as you have never known!"  Silver Surfer

The Silver Surfer was Lee's Christ character, and Galactus was his God Character. 

• 3 weeks later...

Stan Lee was an amazing teacher for those who paid attention.  For me, his most powerful lesson was the way he could let go and trust other people and their talent and ideas after he understood them-- and sometimes before he understood them!  Prime example was the massive success of Margaret Loesch, and really the entire team, that created and built the X-Men cartoon of the early 1990's.  They took an under-funded opportunity and changed the way that the entire industry of comics were seen by the general public.

Stan Lee was a trailblazing leader that created amazing trailblazing leaders wherever he went.  One-of-a-kind, indeed!

"For me, his most powerful lesson was the way he could let go and trust other people and their talent and ideas after he understood them-- and sometimes before he understood them!"

I agree. Too bad some people took advantage of his trust and unwavering kindness. Indeed, Stan was the Man!