Google disallowing ads

Khemosabi

Just yesterday, a past client of mine called me and needed his new guy to have access to his GMB account.  Reason is Google is now disallowing their ads because they're a "3rd party tech" type site.  They fix computers, rebuild and sell refurbished and are authorized sellers of things like Microsoft, Intel.. stuff like that.  

This isn't a new thing (it was news to me), but their opinion is that the big companies like HP, Apple and such are trying to get rid of the little guy so all of the tech support has to go to them.  I think that's crazy!  

Funny thing was Google accepted their money for ads and now won't give them a refund even though they are refusing their ads.  I read some posts about this and some businesses lost a LOT of their business!  The common complaint, though, was some tech companies were allowed to advertise!  In my friends case, the Geek Squad is still posting ads.  My guess is because they work for/through Best Buy.  Thoughts?  

Anyhow, has anyone else come across this?  Have you a solution?  To me, I say screw Adwords and just do some strong SEO.  (His new site stinks, BTW), but I still think this is a seriously rotten move on Google's part.  Their (Google) reason is because of all the scam sites out there that upload malware instead of what they're advertising, like 'we'll fix your malware problem'.. LOL.  

Any help, ideas would be appreciated!!  

~ Theresa

• 4 weeks later...
Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
On 12/13/2019 at 7:31 AM, Khemosabi said:

Just yesterday, a past client of mine called me and needed his new guy to have access to his GMB account.  Reason is Google is now disallowing their ads because they're a "3rd party tech" type site.  They fix computers, rebuild and sell refurbished and are authorized sellers of things like Microsoft, Intel.. stuff like that.  

This isn't a new thing (it was news to me), but their opinion is that the big companies like HP, Apple and such are trying to get rid of the little guy so all of the tech support has to go to them.  I think that's crazy!  

Funny thing was Google accepted their money for ads and now won't give them a refund even though they are refusing their ads.  I read some posts about this and some businesses lost a LOT of their business!  The common complaint, though, was some tech companies were allowed to advertise!  In my friends case, the Geek Squad is still posting ads.  My guess is because they work for/through Best Buy.  Thoughts?  

Anyhow, has anyone else come across this?  Have you a solution?  To me, I say screw Adwords and just do some strong SEO.  (His new site stinks, BTW), but I still think this is a seriously rotten move on Google's part.  Their (Google) reason is because of all the scam sites out there that upload malware instead of what they're advertising, like 'we'll fix your malware problem'.. LOL.  

Any help, ideas would be appreciated!!  

~ Theresa

I think it was actually a good move by Google because of all the scam sites out there. They did the same thing in the past to locksmiths.

If I am not mistaken, there is a way for businesses to get qualified to run ads. It's not just the big guys. And the change has nothing to do with HP, Apple, etc. trying to get rid of the little guys. Google made the decision, and the last thing they want to do is help Apple.

The reason companies like Best Buy can still run ads is because they are easily verified by Google.

As for refunding the customer, why in the hell would they do that? If an ad was not approved, there is nothing to refund. If ads were run in the past, they got their money's worth.

13 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I think it was actually a good move by Google because of all the scam sites out there. They did the same thing in the past to locksmiths.

If I am not mistaken, there is a way for businesses to get qualified to run ads. It's not just the big guys. And the change has nothing to do with HP, Apple, etc. trying to get rid of the little guys. Google made the decision, and the last thing they want to do is help Apple.

The reason companies like Best Buy can still run ads is because they are easily verified by Google.

As for refunding the customer, why in the hell would they do that? If an ad was not approved, there is nothing to refund. If ads were run in the past, they got their money's worth.

I know that you can use Google Guaranteed to verify.  I'm not clear on the process, but I would think if a business does this first, then they would be able to run AdWords again. ??  I think they should use the trigger words like 'virus removal' on secondary pages.  I read that on one of the searches I did for the above topic.  To me, once they're verified, then they could also use it as an incentive on their site.  "Google Guaranteed!".. kind of thing.  

And, I agree that it's a good idea on Google's part.  Also about the ad refund.  I had this guy ranked on page 1, organically!, and his new employee convinced him that his way was better.. build a crappy site and just spend money on AdWords... you're golden.  

6 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

I know that you can use Google Guaranteed to verify.  I'm not clear on the process, but I would think if a business does this first, then they would be able to run AdWords again. ??  I think they should use the trigger words like 'virus removal' on secondary pages.  I read that on one of the searches I did for the above topic.  To me, once they're verified, then they could also use it as an incentive on their site.  "Google Guaranteed!".. kind of thing.  

And, I agree that it's a good idea on Google's part.  Also about the ad refund.  I had this guy ranked on page 1, organically!, and his new employee convinced him that his way was better.. build a crappy site and just spend money on AdWords... you're golden.  

Yep. If they get verified they should be able to run ads again. You can call Google to make sure. Their AdWords support team is usually fairly helpful.