Sign in to follow this  
Khemosabi

Google just asked me for a review?

Hopefully someone here will know how this happened.  :)  

So I looked up a business the other day, on my PC.  It is signed in on one of my Google gmail accounts.  From that account, I do have alerts sent to my phone (I'm thinking this is the connection here).  

Today, probably 4 days-ish later, when I went to use my phone, there was a tab bar + the little icon on the top, asking how I liked X business.  Clicking on it sent me to a Google review page.

Now, I never went to that business, but I thought this was a really cool feature to offer, especially for clients.  However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how the hell to make it happen.  I don't get these alerts often, but I have to think there's a way to get them (Google) to do it...other than they just do it for their own benefit.  

To add into this, there have been times I've actually left the property (LOL), and the next day, I'll get a similar request from Google about another business.  I have not looked them up, nor visited it, but I'm thinking I may have passed by it? (Google maps, location)?  

All of this lead me to believe it's something in the business's GMB.   Anyone here have any insight, or info they can pass along?  

Thanks!!!!

~ Theresa

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

11 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Hopefully someone here will know how this happened.  :)  

So I looked up a business the other day, on my PC.  It is signed in on one of my Google gmail accounts.  From that account, I do have alerts sent to my phone (I'm thinking this is the connection here).  

Today, probably 4 days-ish later, when I went to use my phone, there was a tab bar + the little icon on the top, asking how I liked X business.  Clicking on it sent me to a Google review page.

Now, I never went to that business, but I thought this was a really cool feature to offer, especially for clients.  However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how the hell to make it happen.  I don't get these alerts often, but I have to think there's a way to get them (Google) to do it...other than they just do it for their own benefit.  

To add into this, there have been times I've actually left the property (LOL), and the next day, I'll get a similar request from Google about another business.  I have not looked them up, nor visited it, but I'm thinking I may have passed by it? (Google maps, location)?  

All of this lead me to believe it's something in the business's GMB.   Anyone here have any insight, or info they can pass along?  

Thanks!!!!

~ Theresa

Did you sign up as a local guide with google ? They maybe tracking you that way or through your maps  and where you parked your car. Seen that when going to a local fast food chain in a strip mall. Google is always asking to review another place on the property not the Burger joint.  You can correct the location but it is usually a pain in the A** 

Some sources out there claim that is how google is making their Ai more accurate.  Also supposedly they are trying to rate if directions are very good or bad ( they give multiple choices ). This is to help with their self driving cars.

Hth's

Thanks DWolfe

I suppose I should make myself a little clearer.  The first part of my post, I had looked up that business on my PC, and the review request came on my phone, right?  Thing is I NEVER left the property.   They sent this simply because I had searched this business.  The review asked "what did you like about X business?"  and  "did you buy anything?"  I was never there!

The other part, was all stuff that has happened, randomly, in the past.  Now, I do know that businesses can put a 'beacon' of sorts outside their business.  I think this started with the Pokeman Go thingy.  ????  NO idea.  

And to answer your question, no, I am not signed up for a local guide.. LOL.. seriously, I never leave this property!  Unless Google wants reports on what it's like out at my mailbox, I'm no good to them.  :)  

21 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

It's not something businesses set up. It's just Google trying to get more activity. The more people they get leaving Google reviews the fewer people are leaving Yelp reviews. 

Ultimately, they want to put Yelp out of business, and I hope they succeed.

Thanks Mike.  :)  I was hoping there was a way that you could set that up as opposed to actually 'asking' for reviews.  Something more automated.  

And, yep, I hope they bury Yelp, too!