Sites With Featured Snippets Are Losing Their Normal Snippet

This is a big change.

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-feature-snippet-drop-normal-snippet-28879.html

In the past, if you earned a featured snippet, you still maintained your "normal" organic position on page one as well. That is no longer the case. Now a page that has the featured snippet will have their normal snippet moved to the top of page 2. 

People who have snippets are going to be pissed they are no longer going to control 2 positions on the first page. Those who didn't have 2 positions are going to be happy about the change. 

Also with this change, the featured snippet is now officially position 1 and part of the 10 organic spots on page one. If a featured snippet is shown, 9 other SERP listings will be present instead of 10.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:34 AM, Mike Friedman said:

This is a big change.

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-feature-snippet-drop-normal-snippet-28879.html

In the past, if you earned a featured snippet, you still maintained your "normal" organic position on page one as well. That is no longer the case. Now a page that has the featured snippet will have their normal snippet moved to the top of page 2. 

People who have snippets are going to be pissed they are no longer going to control 2 positions on the first page. Those who didn't have 2 positions are going to be happy about the change. 

Also with this change, the featured snippet is now officially position 1 and part of the 10 organic spots on page one. If a featured snippet is shown, 9 other SERP listings will be present instead of 10.

Perhaps surprisingly I have not seen many of the people who had snippets and were impacted by this bellyaching. I think that shows that most of the clicks were going to snippets versus their traditional listing. That is something we really had no way of testing before.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:29 AM, Wunderkind said:

Perhaps surprisingly I have not seen many of the people who had snippets and were impacted by this bellyaching. I think that shows that most of the clicks were going to snippets versus their traditional listing. That is something we really had no way of testing before.

It's starting though. 

There have been some rumblings on Twitter too.

• 2 weeks later...