Sign in to follow this  
whateverpedia

Abrupt about face on FoxNews

It seems that Rupert Murdoch (aged 89) has twigged on to the fact that he's in the high risk COVID-19 category.

How do these people live with themselves? On air spouting endless shit until word comes down from on high, and then with a completely straight face spout the exact opposite thing.

Yes, I know MSNBC does something similar from a "left" perspective, however they're nowhere near as brazen as these arsehats are. It might also have something to do with the fact that MSNBC's audience are more clued up about what's happening in the world, and so the presenters know there's a limit to how much they can get away with.

Oh, and for those thinking that the only way to fix FauxNews is for Murdoch Senior to shuffle off his mortal coil, his heir apparent, son Lachlan, is according to reliable sources even more right wing than the old man.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

1 hour ago, whateverpedia said:

It seems that Rupert Murdoch (aged 89) has twigged on to the fact that he's in the high risk COVID-19 category.

How do these people live with themselves? On air spouting endless shit until word comes down from on high, and then with a completely straight face spout the exact opposite thing.

Yes, I know MSNBC does something similar from a "left" perspective, however they're nowhere near as brazen as these arsehats are. It might also have something to do with the fact that MSNBC's audience are more clued up about what's happening in the world, and so the presenters know there's a limit to how much they can get away with.

Oh, and for those thinking that the only way to fix FauxNews is for Murdoch Senior to shuffle off his mortal coil, his heir apparent, son Lachlan, is according to reliable sources even more right wing than the old man.

I take it your not a great fan of Rupy Baby, he speaks highly of you

On 3/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, whateverpedia said:

I thought I had heard that one of his children is much more reasonable (actually believes in science) and that they have been running more and more of the empire. 

3 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I thought I had heard that one of his children is much more reasonable (actually believes in science) and that they have been running more and more of the empire. 

That's his other son James, who has been very critical of the rampant climate change denialism endemic in Newscorp and FoxNews. Then again, he was deeply involved in the UK phone hacking scandal of a few years ago. So, a bit of a mixed bag.

Incidentally I've seen many people say/write that the best way Mike Bloomberg could spend the masses of money he currently is, is to buy out FoxNews. As FoxNews is about the only asset left in the Murdoch empire that makes a profit, would they actually sell it though?

On 3/20/2020 at 12:38 PM, whateverpedia said:

Incidentally I've seen many people say/write that the best way Mike Bloomberg could spend the masses of money he currently is, is to buy out FoxNews. As FoxNews is about the only asset left in the Murdoch empire that makes a profit, would they actually sell it though?

Well, they say everybody has a price?

I'm not sure if that would be good or bad though. As bad as Fox News is, it is fairly tempered compared to the places its viewership might turn to if they lose that.

I saw a news report that internally Fox News is worried they may face a class action lawsuit in the future for the way they downplayed and misled the public about the coronavirus. It would be nice to see them held accountable. If it happens, I would like to see the lawsuit go one step further and individually target people like Hannity.

20 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I saw a news report that internally Fox News is worried they may face a class action lawsuit in the future for the way they downplayed and misled the public about the coronavirus. It would be nice to see them held accountable. If it happens, I would like to see the lawsuit go one step further and individually target people like Hannity.

It's already happening:

Fox News is nervous. This is what Gabriel Sherman, author of a New York Times-bestselling book about the cable news giant, recently told MSNBC. Sherman said Fox News insiders are expressing concern that the network’s “early downplaying” of COVID-19 might open it up to “legal action by viewers who maybe were misled and actually have died from this.”

Days later, the possibility of a lawsuit was realized. On April 2, a nonprofit called the Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics sued Fox News in Washington state court. The suit contains claims for violation of the Washington Consumer Protection Act and the tort of “outrage” (otherwise known as “intentional infliction of emotional distress”). It alleges that the country’s most-watched cable news network “knowingly disseminated false, erroneous, and incomplete information” to the public about COVID-19. By labeling the virus a “hoax” and “conspiracy,” the suit says, Fox News hurt efforts to contain it and to “forestall mass death.”

https://www.justsecurity.org/69556/lawsuit-against-fox-news-over-coronavirus-coverage-can-it-succeed-should-it/

I'm all for the lawsuits. Hold them accountable. It's one thing when a reporter gets something wrong. Maybe bad info. Maybe a source lied or misled them. It is a whole different thing when reporters (or fake reporters who are nothing more than TV personalities) intentionally lie about something in an attempt to politicize a health crisis and further their own political interests.

In this case, it's hard not to say that it backfired on them, but that is not a strong enough penalty.

56 minutes ago, TheDarkestKnight said:

The courts are so stacked in their favor, would a lawsuit even be able to move forward? If one looks like it is picking up steam, what are the odds the DOJ steps in to derail it?

A good point, however things might change dramatically come January. 

(Please note I said "might")