mki

Quitting Amazon Affilate Marketing.

Well. Apparently Amazon decided to slash their rates.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/help/operating/compare

I'm done. It's too difficult to create the content, rank the content, and the main thing is that it's too hard to market the content.

Especially for basically half the commission.

I'll leave my existing sites up, but I'm not touching them again.

I'm done with AM as well. I've been burned too many times. Strictly working on ad revenue based sites now.

SEMrush

I feel the same way -  the commission rates are awful now. I already thought they were pretty bad before, but workable at least. 

As of now I think I'm going to continue with AM, but really look into diversifying the revenue streams a lot more or just look for better affiliate programs.

Nothing really converts as well as Amazon though. I've spent the last few months focusing on Amazon affiliate stuff, it feels like a punch in the stomach! Lesson learned I guess.

I think this change is going to be a huge hit to the Affiliate/SEO space... 

I believe you guys will drop it if you say you will. I'm curious how many others will.

I remember 4-5 years ago Amazon dropped their affiliate commissions. I think the big one that got hit was electronics back then. I believe that was also when they changed to a 24-hour cookie. I forget how long it was before that. Maybe a week?

I remember seeing lots of people claiming they were done with Amazon. There was a big outcry against Amazon back then like what is circulating in a lot of internet marketing groups right now. Nothing really seemed to change though.

I follow a lot of big tech YouTube channels... JayzTwoCents, LinusTechTips, BitWit, Paul's Hardware... they all have continued to push Amazon affiliate links on their videos when they could. I will be curious to see if any of them change after this. Same goes for a lot of Twitch gamers. They use a lot of affiliate links to Amazon as well. 

I will say the same thing I said back then. You should plan on Amazon getting rid of their affiliate program completely. It's going to happen. They don't need affiliates anymore. The only viable reason I can see for them continuing to have an affiliate program is so that they don't flood WalMart with new affiliates. That's probably the only reason they have even kept it this long, but at some point they are going to let it go. If they do keep the program, it is going to be at minimal commissions. Yes, even lower than they are now. 

11 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I will say the same thing I said back then. You should plan on Amazon getting rid of their affiliate program completely. It's going to happen. They don't need affiliates anymore. The only viable reason I can see for them continuing to have an affiliate program is so that they don't flood WalMart with new affiliates. That's probably the only reason they have even kept it this long, but at some point they are going to let it go. If they do keep the program, it is going to be at minimal commissions. Yes, even lower than they are now. 

Good point, yeah it seems the new standard is 3%. If it goes any lower than that I doubt there will be many new people pursuing "Amazon niche sites" anymore. It just wouldn't make sense imo. 

I wish I would have heard someone say this a long time ago. I always kind of thought Amazon doesn't really need affiliates but convinced myself otherwise. So moving forward my new strategy is going to be diversification of affiliate programs for now. I was dumb just to use only Amazon in the first place. 

On a somewhat positive note, researching some of my top sellers I'm realizing they have direct affiliate programs paying out up to 10%+. I realize that people buy other stuff on Amazon, but with the increased direct commission rates and longer cookies that would even make up for all of those random purchases that happen on Amazon. Conversion rates is what I'm worried about but I think a lot of affiliates will be willing to switch over to this strategy to give it a go.

This whole thing was barely a blip in the news cycle. I'm sure it was not a off the cuff decision and something that had been planned long ago, but they could not have asked for a better climate to make this update in. It barely made the news outside of online marketing groups, who were obviously most directly impacted.

For a lot of niches, I still feel like Amazon is the best option just because of their conversion rate and the fact that they will pay on anything that a visitor buys, not just a specific product. I saw a few tech channels that seemed like they were doing a few more links to NewEgg. They always used NewEgg. It might just be in my head that they seem to be using it more.

I hope you guys really do abandon Amazon and others follow. I don't see enough doing it though for it to make a difference. There just are not enough good alternatives out there. I have heard people talking about WalMart, but their conversions are trash compared to Amazon.

I will keep my niche sites as I never thought of them as "Amazon" niche sites.  There are plenty of great products available in most niches and if you check in places like Share a Sale, CJ or any of the other affiliate networks.  I have found quite a few products not found on amazon. 

al

This past week I actually went to WalMart's site to try to order a few things that were going to take 2-3 weeks for delivery through Amazon. What a shitty shopping experience compared to Amazon. Their site is just awful. No way you will get the same kind of conversions you do at Amazon.