Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

Poll: Do you believe that keyword cannibalization is a serious ranking problem?

Do you believe that keyword cannibalization is a serious ranking problem?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. There is a lot of debate in the SEO world about this topic. I know what I think about it, but I'm curious what users here think. Do you believe that keyword cannibalization is a serious ranking problem?

• Yes
    • No

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

I have seen you say this before and I absolutely agree. Keyword cannibalization is a conversion optimization problem when a page that would convert better is not ranking in the SERP over a page with lower conversion chances. It doesn't prevent pages from ranking or hold them back in any way.

I think it can be a ranking problem if your site's internal link structure and any external links you have are divided among two or more pages competing for the same keyword.

What I think is wrong with the way most of the SEO people out there try to explain cannibalization is they way they say that search engines see multiple pages targeting the same search terms and ding them for it in some way.

I guess my vote in the poll would depend on how you define "serious ranking problem".