I can't believe I had never heard of this site sooner. It's an awesome concept.

https://www.astartingpoint.com/

A Starting Point is a video-based civic engagement platform created by Chris Evans, Mark Kassen, and technology entrepreneur Joe Kiani. ASP’s mission is to create a bipartisan channel of communication and connectivity between Americans and their elected officials with the goal of creating a more informed electorate.

Maybe the best part about the site is there are no comments or discussion areas, no likes, and no shares. Just politicians talking about issues from both sides of the aisle.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

An interesting idea. I can see it working for unaffiliated independent candidates. The "Party" system have their own methods as tired and hackneyed as they are in the digital age.

However it needs to gain a critical mass of viewers to really change anything. Whether it gains that mass is another matter altogether. I guess if enough candidates eschew the  traditional mass media and all start using it, it may become a valuable platform. 

Lets' face it though, you seem like a pretty engaged guy, abreast of what's happening locally, nationally and internationally, and you've only just discovered it. How long will it take for the masses, particularly the politically disengaged to discover it and actually use it for its intended purpose.

Watch this space I guess - see what happens.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:32 AM, whateverpedia said:

An interesting idea. I can see it working for unaffiliated independent candidates. The "Party" system have their own methods as tired and hackneyed as they are in the digital age.

However it needs to gain a critical mass of viewers to really change anything. Whether it gains that mass is another matter altogether. I guess if enough candidates eschew the  traditional mass media and all start using it, it may become a valuable platform. 

Lets' face it though, you seem like a pretty engaged guy, abreast of what's happening locally, nationally and internationally, and you've only just discovered it. How long will it take for the masses, particularly the politically disengaged to discover it and actually use it for its intended purpose.

Watch this space I guess - see what happens.

I agree. To be fair, it looks like the site just launched in June maybe. 

Also, I think they are specifically targeting traditional party candidates and not independent candidates. It's kind of the whole point of the site, in my opinion. Have friendly discussions and debates from members of our two major parties that can highlight the differences on issues as well as where there is common ground. 

For example, I think this is a good example of what the site really aspires to be. You have to watch each video but the candidates go back and forth in short, concise videos that just about anyone could digest. 

And again, my favorite part of the site I think might be that there are no discussion areas, no like buttons, etc.

I hope the site takes off. It does have Captain America as one of its founders, so there's a chance.