Jump to content

Well, that's not who I would have picked...


Recommended Posts




Something interesting I noticed. As soon as Harris was announced as the VP pick, every commentator on MSNBC was talking about how she was the best pick, and how they wanted her to the the VP pick for the last year. Strange. I don't remember hearing any of that before today.

 

I strongly suspect that anyone that Biden picked would have instantly been "The best possible choice he could have made", and "I was hoping he would have picked her all along".

The possible exception is if Biden would have picked Sarah Palin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to The Motley Fool, that well known barometer of public opinion, the S&P500 Index, seems impressed by Biden's choice:

Quote

 

The S&P 500 Index (SNPINDEX:^SPX) gained 46.7 points, or a solid 1%, on Aug. 12, joining the other major indices with a better-than-1% gain on the day, following the announcement yesterday evening that presidential hopeful and former Vice President Joe Biden had made his choice for running mate. Kamala Harris, the U.S. senator from California, is joining the Biden ticket as the Democratic nominee for vice president. 

On a day that lacked any major earnings or economic news, the Harris announcement is the biggest market-moving news of the day.

 

 

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/12/sp-500-rallies-47-points-on-dem-pick-for-vice-pres/

 

Edit Update: More analyses from two media outlets that are as far removed from "left wing media" as it's possible to get without straying into far right wing nutjob territory (ie Breitbart, The Herald Sun, etc.)

 

From CNBC:

Quote

Wall Street executives are glad Joe Biden picked Kamala Harris to be his VP running mate

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/11/joe-biden-vp-pick-wall-street-executives-are-happy-about-kamala-harris.html

 

The Wall Street Journal:

Quote

When Joe Biden announced California Sen. Kamala Harris as his vice presidential pick, he pointed to her tough-on-banks record. Much of Wall Street cheered anyway.

The warm welcome reflects some relief that in choosing Ms. Harris, Mr. Biden has—for now at least—fended off the more progressive wing of the Democratic Party that has called for tougher financial regulation.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/kamala-harris-has-taken-on-wall-street-wall-street-doesnt-seem-to-mind-11597254609

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are all familiar with Newton's Third Law Of Motion which states that "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Perhaps there should be a new Law added to the scientific lexicon, Trump's First Law Of Motion - "For every action there is an equal and opposite inaction".

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/08/16/trump-pennsylvania-training.html

Quote

The Trump campaign held a training session for campaign volunteers in Pennsylvania that only had two people sign up, and they both canceled.

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

We are all familiar with Newton's Third Law Of Motion which states that "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Perhaps there should be a new Law added to the scientific lexicon, Trump's First Law Of Motion - "For every action there is an equal and opposite inaction".

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/08/16/trump-pennsylvania-training.html

:lol:

Doing my state proud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I cannot believe we are starting this birther shit all over again...

Why not? It worked the first time.  

 

And people don't believe what they choose to believe. They believe what their group/tribe believes.  If they are told that Harris was born out of the country...no evidence will change their minds.

But to be fair, we are all like this, no matter what side we are on. We just notice it more when it's someone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Obama was not only elected but more importantly re-elected. It didn't work the first time, so hell yeah, let's do it again.

If all you have is a hammer, every "problem" looks like a nail.

It worked in the sense that Trump's followers believed it. How much it affected the election, I don't know.  But they need a call to arms. Some reason that Biden and Harris are the Devil, and will destroy the country.  If they can't go after the policies, go after the person. If the person doesn't have skeletons in their closet, make them up. We are now in the "Make them up" stage. 

 

Maybe the thing I hear the most is "Biden is senile". And there is a short clip on Youtube featuring a few moments of him searching for words or stammering.  In other words, no sane consultant is helping with this campaign. All they have now is a couple of memes..... and conspiracy theories. Amazingly, that may be enough. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

But they need a call to arms. Some reason that Biden and Harris are the Devil

You can't have two Satan's, we already have you anyway. Riffles just a Little Devil.

The single most problematical thing about what would have otherwise been a clear cut thing is that people are latching on to the fact that Biden is old, possibly too old to do 4 years in this job. If it had been 8 years ago, no problem. His speaking does show signs of forgetfulness, all Trump jabs aside. It is good that he chose a strong person as Vice President for she may well be needed if he get's in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

. His speaking does show signs of forgetfulness, 

 

Yes. But it's not any more serious than with anyone in their seventies.  And I strongly suspect that his experience and  intellect will make up for any gaffes. His used to be a severe stutterer. And when he's tired, it tends to show as he gets hung on a word that won't come out....so he searches for another word he can use. 

There are also videos of Trump slurring words and getting  mispronouncing words. Personally, I also don't see that as a problem. Again, everyone does it.  

Biden is obviously a deeply empathetic person who is almost universally liked and respected by everyone in the Senate.  A candidate that is hard to attack on a personal level....except by just making things up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Yes. But it's not any more serious than with anyone in their seventies.  And I strongly suspect that his experience and  intellect will make up for any gaffes. His used to be a severe stutterer. And when he's tired, it tends to show as he gets hung on a word that won't come out....so he searches for another word he can use. 

There are also videos of Trump slurring words and getting  mispronouncing words. Personally, I also don't see that as a problem. Again, everyone does it.  

Biden is obviously a deeply empathetic person who is almost universally liked and respected by everyone in the Senate.  A candidate that is hard to attack on a personal level....except by just making things up.

I dunno, he's 77. Quite an age to take on that role. I don't dislike him or anything. Just wish he'd been 67. Watching him speak I just see him being a bit doddery like he's losing it a bit. Trump's speaking ad lib and answering questions with slurred words and trying to find words I put down mainly to complete ignorance of his subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

I dunno, he's 77. Quite an age to take on that role. I don't dislike him or anything. Just wish he'd been 67. Watching him speak I just see him being a bit doddery like he's losing it a bit. Trump's speaking ad lib and answering questions with slurred words and trying to find words I put down mainly to complete ignorance of his subject.

He's still sharp, especially for 77. He may not serve 2 terms. But I agree with you about Trump. His faltering may usually be caused by not understanding the material he's talking about. Again, with either man, I don't think it's a major problem. Many of my friends are in their 70s. Some are showing it, some are not. And forgetting your train of thought is very common, even in your 60s.  I'd worry about it more if he had signs of real dementia, like repeating what you are saying, forgetting the meaning of words he knows, or saying sentences that are unconnected. Reagan was suffering from the beginning of Alzheimer disease the last couple of years of his presidency.  And he was still sharp enough to be a good president.  I remember just a few years ago, Republicans were the "Party of Reagan". And now, you never hear him mentioned. That bothers me a little. Historical insecurity, maybe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.