The Impact of COVID-19 on Social Media Marketing

Krisvertelo

Grow your online visibility
On 10/6/2020 at 1:08 PM, Krisvertelo said:

What are the changes in the marketing landscape due to the worldwide coronavirus pandemic?  What is it's effect on brands’ social media strategy and performance. 

I don't know if it is pandemic specific, but the political landscape in the U.S. has had an impact on an ecommerce store I run. Specifically, the issues with the United States Post Office, and I'm a bit concerned with it going forward. Not trying to turn this into a political discussion, but with many of the changes the Trump administration has pushed there have definitely been slowdowns in shipping times. 

I say I do not know if it is pandemic specific because I would also imagine that due to the pandemic people are shopping from home more and the increase in shipments could also be part of the reason for slower shipping times.

As for the impact on social media specifically, other than people being online more often, I have not noticed anything different. Granted, people being online more is a big difference. I would imagine that some people working from home are no longer dealing with company firewalls that are in place that prevent them from accessing Facebook, Twitter, etc. There usage times are probably varied. Before they were on before and after work. Now there are probably more people on consistently throughout the day.

21 hours ago, BigDave said:

Not trying to turn this into a political discussion, but with many of the changes the Trump administration has pushed there have definitely been slowdowns in shipping times. 

This. It has really impacted a site of mine too. Where people were normally getting orders in 3-4 days, now they are getting them in 5-7. Two orders were lost in the mail in the past month. I have not had two orders lost in the mail in the past two years. 

Win or lose the election, I do not think the administration will go back to how things were, so the holiday season is going to be interesting. I would recommend anyone that does a lot of shopping online make sure you are getting your shopping in early. There are going to be a lot of stories out there about gifts not arriving in time for Christmas.

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 10:58 PM, Wunderkind said:

This. It has really impacted a site of mine too. Where people were normally getting orders in 3-4 days, now they are getting them in 5-7. Two orders were lost in the mail in the past month. I have not had two orders lost in the mail in the past two years. 

Win or lose the election, I do not think the administration will go back to how things were, so the holiday season is going to be interesting. I would recommend anyone that does a lot of shopping online make sure you are getting your shopping in early. There are going to be a lot of stories out there about gifts not arriving in time for Christmas.

Have experienced it too, lost 1 a few weeks ago.