The Social Dilemma

Finally got around to watching this. I do not think there was anything too shocking in there that most of us did not know, but it was a bit eerie the way it laid out how people on Facebook are being kept in their own bubbles based on their own biases that they entered Facebook with.

In other words, if you interact with a lot of conspiracy type posts and videos, you get fed more conspiracy type posts and videos. If you follow extreme right or left-wing bloggers, you will be fed more right or left-wing bloggers. I liked how it laid out how so many people cannot understand how the other side believes what it does because they incorrectly assume they are seeing the same information as them. They are not.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

17 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

Finally got around to watching this. I do not think there was anything too shocking in there that most of us did not know, but it was a bit eerie the way it laid out how people on Facebook are being kept in their own bubbles based on their own biases that they entered Facebook with.

In other words, if you interact with a lot of conspiracy type posts and videos, you get fed more conspiracy type posts and videos. If you follow extreme right or left-wing bloggers, you will be fed more right or left-wing bloggers. I liked how it laid out how so many people cannot understand how the other side believes what it does because they incorrectly assume they are seeing the same information as them. They are not.

To me, that's just good marketing. It keeps people coming back, and doesn't repel them with ideas they disagree with.

What concerns me is that when I look up "Donald Trump" on Google, it shows nearly all bad posts about him. My concern is that my searches are also reflecting my own preferences. In Google searches, I want to know what's really going on, not just what I want to hear and see. Facebook? I expect it to cater to its audiences preferences....although they will get a skewed view of reality. For example, conspiracy fans will end up believing that their view is mainstream, when in fact it's on the fringe.

25 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

To me, that's just good marketing. It keeps people coming back, and doesn't repel them with ideas they disagree with.

But is it too good?

I think it is fine when it comes to hobbies like gaming, hunting, skateboarding, etc. It's a little different when it comes to "news". The pandemic is a perfect example of this where you had people doubting that it was really anything serious or that they should be wearing a mask, and then having those opinions backed up by other morons that thought the same thing.

23 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

But is it too good?

I think it is fine when it comes to hobbies like gaming, hunting, skateboarding, etc. It's a little different when it comes to "news". The pandemic is a perfect example of this where you had people doubting that it was really anything serious or that they should be wearing a mask, and then having those opinions backed up by other morons that thought the same thing.

I remember News. I remember when we had no idea how the news anchor voted...didn't see bias in their reporting...and didn't see their opinion.

I remember when truth and reality were the same thing., at least in the news.   I'm afraid those days are gone, my friend. I can't watch CNN, MSNBC, of FOX for more than ten minutes, without seeing a fact edited to slant it a certain way.  There is always going to be "The other side", and that other side is going to be evil.

And the number of people that can discern between a biased report, and reality is shrinking. Reality just doesn't attract viewers, or advertisers. 

It's just the way we are.

I could be wrong, but I think the genie is out of the bottle. There is no going back. Social media, whether it is intentional or inadvertent, is pushing tribalism. Rather than bringing people together, as I think may have been the intention of some of the original founders, it is pushing us further apart.

It's not illegal, but is definitely unfortunate.