Website help Technical SEO

Hello,

Been a long time since I have posted. Glad to see the forum still up and running. Looks Great...

I see Mike sometimes on one of my FB groups. :)

Question. I have someone who redesigned my site and I basically let him take over along with my GMB for posts and optimization. I have been out of the SEO game for a year or so as I am a locksmith and used to do all my own SEO. I am starting to get back into it somewhat for my own sites. As I looked over my site I have like 20 plugins. I feel like that is to many. I have my SEO guy trying to up my speed and do a few things, but honestly I feel like I need to step in and get all these plug ins down to a minimum and try to speed up my site. Also want to see how my On Page overall is. 

What are some suggestions or someone who could help me with this? I would hate to start removing plug ins so I do not break my site. He also used Elementor and I am not that familiar with them. my site is https://  accesslocksmith . NET

What tools are the best these days for optimization? Moz, SEM rush Ahrefs?? Ae these the go to guys still for links/SEO checking?

Thanks

Teddy

20 hours ago, accessted said:

What tools are the best these days for optimization? Moz, SEM rush Ahrefs?? Ae these the go to guys still for links/SEO checking?

Good to see you. It's been awhile. Hope business is going well.

SEMrush is the leader in my opinion. It is the best tool for competitor and keyword research. They do a pretty good job with links too. Ahrefs is still the leader for link research, but all their keyword search volumes and data has been messed up since January when one of their data providers shutdown. 

Moz doesn't even belong in the discussion. Horrible value.

For SEMrush, I have a special offer where you can get a 14-day trial if you use this link instead of their normal 7-day trial.

20 hours ago, accessted said:

Question. I have someone who redesigned my site and I basically let him take over along with my GMB for posts and optimization. I have been out of the SEO game for a year or so as I am a locksmith and used to do all my own SEO. I am starting to get back into it somewhat for my own sites. As I looked over my site I have like 20 plugins. I feel like that is to many. I have my SEO guy trying to up my speed and do a few things, but honestly I feel like I need to step in and get all these plug ins down to a minimum and try to speed up my site. Also want to see how my On Page overall is. 

What are some suggestions or someone who could help me with this? I would hate to start removing plug ins so I do not break my site. He also used Elementor and I am not that familiar with them. my site is https://  accesslocksmith . NET

Sometimes the simplest way to do this is to just turn off plugins one at a time. Inspect your site. See what they were doing, if anything. It is a bit time consuming. Your other options are to visit the plugin page to see what it does or ask the person who designed your site. A lot of times I have found that website owners have a lot of plugins that have just been used over the course of 2-3 web redesigns that nobody bothered to get rid of. 

It is definitely a good idea to get these cleaned up. Even plugins that are not being actively used, create extra server requests and will impact page speed. 

Elementor is not too bad to work with. It is pretty intuitive. I used it on all my sites until about a year ago when I migrated most of them to Oxygen. I still use Elementor a good bit because some of my clients do. All page builders outside of Oxygen do unfortunately create some bloat and are not great for page speed. That's kind of the tradeoff you make for their ease of use. 

Two things I would recommend for speeding up a Wordpress site. First, often times a hosting upgrade can make a significant impact. If you haven't already, get away from shared hosting and move to either a VPS or dedicated hosting plan. I like KnownHost VPS hosting, but WP Engine, and Geek Storage are good as well.

Second, take a look at WP Rocket. It is a Wordpress plugin for caching and speeding up sites. You sometimes have to play around with the settings a little bit depending on what you have running on your website, but I have seen huge improvements with it. 

Hope that all helps to get you started in the right direction. And of course, if you have more questions, ask away.

• 3 weeks later...