Well that didn't go as expected...

Mike Friedman

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
27 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I'm putting pollsters right up there with meteorologists in terms of reporting accuracy.

Pollsters can only report what voters tell them. Fivethirtyeight.com gave Trump a 10% chance of winning. Now it's closer to 40%, I suppose.

But the results tell me something about humans.

In the last four years, we have seen what kind of man Trump is, and we changed the Dem candidate from a toxic Clinton to a far more electable Biden.

And yet, after everything that has been said, and everything that has happened in this country....in the end...we all just go back to our tribe. That's what I'm getting out of this election. No matter who we pick, how good or how bad they are....in the end, it won't matter hardly at all. We just stick with our tribe. Us against Them.

And I'm not talking about the "Other side". I mean all of us.  

Humans.

On 11/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, whateverpedia said:

On the topic of expectations, the one thing everyone predicted would happen, actually did happen.

So, we can all mark "someone does a Downfall parody video of it" off on our bingo cards.

("Do we have to tell Putin?" 😆)

I love this, on point!

On 11/4/2020 at 9:45 AM, Mike Friedman said:

I'm putting pollsters right up there with meteorologists in terms of reporting accuracy.

Fivethirtyeight.com had it pretty close. Single polls often only question 500-1,000 people. It's the gathering of all the respected polls, and averaging the results,  that gives you a clearer picture of what voters told pollsters. But polls only show probabilities, 

On last Tuesday, the majority of polls looked to be way off. But in many states, either the mail in votes, or the same day votes (like in Ohio) weren't counted yet. So it gave heavily skewed initial results.  Once the "mostly mail in) votes started to be counted, it started averaging out more to what the polls indicated.

Polls only tell us what people say they are going to do.....polls themselves aren't right or wrong.  

And, to be fair, many states were lost or won by an inch, and could have easily gone either way.  

17 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

How would you like to be the guy that is so despised...that the entire world cheers in the streets when you lose your job?

My friend does therapy, she has one client who was so depressed over Trump losing and truly thinks he is a God. Some people are Batshit Crazy and do not see truth when it's being waved in front of there face. Something you often comment on.

But, I expect this person always voted Republican, and originally voted for them because they believed in the principals, policies and philosophies of that party. One should never lose sight of that fact. You should not always condemn people as being "Trump" supporters. Most I expect just want to vote Republican and he is the only choice to achieve that end.   

1 hour ago, Lanfear63 said:

My friend does therapy, she has one client who was so depressed over Trump losing and truly thinks he is a God. Some people are Batshit Crazy and do not see truth when it's being waved in front of there face.

Really? Well I've certainly never noticed that kind of behaviour. Certainly not here for example. 😉😁

On 11/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, Lanfear63 said:

My friend does therapy, she has one client who was so depressed over Trump losing and truly thinks he is a God. Some people are Batshit Crazy and do not see truth when it's being waved in front of there face. Something you often comment on.

But, I expect this person always voted Republican, and originally voted for them because they believed in the principals, policies and philosophies of that party. One should never lose sight of that fact. You should not always condemn people as being "Trump" supporters. Most I expect just want to vote Republican and he is the only choice to achieve that end.   

I think you are describing two different people.

Most of my friends are republicans. And I find they broadly fall into one of two camps....

The Traditional conservative. Small government, lower taxes, less dept. Maybe anti abortion...usually kind of religious. But normal people.

And...the Trump believers. They have, for whatever reason, replaced the republican party with Donald Trump the person. He can do no wrong. If he says it, it's true. Trump's enemies become their enemies. And they demonize anyone who doesn't fall in line. Even other republicans.

I think it may have started as "I'm a republican, so I'll vote for the republican candidate" . And then they get invested in the man...and they start only watching "news" and videos that support him...and pretty soon, it's a cult.

But the same thing happens with democrats. When Joe Biden won the election, there as dancing in the streets. And people were saying things about Biden and Harris that nobody was saying about them a month ago. They are now celebrities...and in some people's eyes, supernatural. 

It's just human nature. 

On 11/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, Claude Whitacre said:

I think you are describing two different people.

Most of my friends are republicans. And I find they broadly fall into one of two camps....

The Traditional conservative. Small government, lower taxes, less dept. Maybe anti abortion...usually kind of religious. But normal people.

And...the Trump believers. They have, for whatever reason, replaced the republican party with Donald Trump the person. He can do no wrong. If he says it, it's true. Trump's enemies become their enemies. And they demonize anyone who doesn't fall in line. Even other republicans.

I think it may have started as "I'm a republican, so I'll vote for the republican candidate" . And then they get invested in the man...and they start only watching "news" and videos that support him...and pretty soon, it's a cult.

But the same thing happens with democrats. When Joe Biden won the election, there as dancing in the streets. And people were saying things about Biden and Harris that nobody was saying about them a month ago. They are now celebrities...and in some people's eyes, supernatural. 

It's just human nature. 

So, if they made it law that news broadcasting in all media was to be impartial, no commentary or bias, then much of this would not happen. In the UK, news on the TV and radio there is far less biased, though the newspapers still have their affiliations. I never saw any indication of any politician/prime minister being regarded as a God or anything remotely like it. Pretty much the same across Europe too, and the eastern block. It's only  in North Korea and Arab countries that have the same sort of fanaticism. And that's probably because you would get your hands cut off if you spoke out or failed to support. Only in America.