Jump to content

Zack Snyder's Justice League


Recommended Posts

Watched it last night. I was very surprised. I'm not really a fan of Snyder's movies or style. I thought maybe it would be a moderate upgrade over the original. I figured giving him the ability to pretty much do whatever he wanted also had the potential for a serious crash and burn.

It's really a much better movie. I still think it is pretty weak compared to what Marvel has been doing, but much better than BvS and on par with Man of Steel. Maybe better.

I know the in thing right now is to shit on Joss Whedon, but I don't think it is entirely fair to compare his version with Snyder's. I say that mainly because there was no way a few years ago that Warner Brothers was going to let Whedon (or Snyder) do a 4+ hour theatrical release like this version is. If Snyder had been forced to cut this one down to 2 hours and 20 minutes or so, I think it would be a much worse movie. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites



On 3/19/2021 at 8:54 PM, Mike Friedman said:

Watched it last night. I was very surprised. I'm not really a fan of Snyder's movies or style. I thought maybe it would be a moderate upgrade over the original. I figured giving him the ability to pretty much do whatever he wanted also had the potential for a serious crash and burn.

It's really a much better movie. I still think it is pretty weak compared to what Marvel has been doing, but much better than BvS and on par with Man of Steel. Maybe better.

I know the in thing right now is to shit on Joss Whedon, but I don't think it is entirely fair to compare his version with Snyder's. I say that mainly because there was no way a few years ago that Warner Brothers was going to let Whedon (or Snyder) do a 4+ hour theatrical release like this version is. If Snyder had been forced to cut this one down to 2 hours and 20 minutes or so, I think it would be a much worse movie. 

 

I don't like reading about how terrible Wheden is either.

He was given a job. Basically...make this Shakespearean epic funny...and make it two hours.  He has proven himself with Marvel movies...but blending a Snyder movie with a Wheden movie just isn't as good as you would think.

Snyder is all about visuals...and epic moments. And there were plenty of moments in this movie. The Amazons shouting "We have no fear"....their willing sacrifice...Flash saving the world.....lots of great lines too. Cyborg saying "I'm not broken. And I'm not alone"...Flash saying '"Your boy is with the best. The best of the best" was a real moment for me.

To me it was on par with Avengers Endgame. A different movie. But man....I'll see it again for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

Shane has been away visiting friends and family on his home planet, Mars. He got there by sheer Perseverance. 

Geesh, l give one of my spacecrafts in hanger #4, a spin, go to Mars for the weekend, and l get labelled for life.

B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I don't like reading about how terrible Wheden is either.

He was given a job. Basically...make this Shakespearean epic funny...and make it two hours.  He has proven himself with Marvel movies...but blending a Snyder movie with a Wheden movie just isn't as good as you would think.

Snyder is all about visuals...and epic moments. And there were plenty of moments in this movie. The Amazons shouting "We have no fear"....their willing sacrifice...Flash saving the world.....lots of great lines too. Cyborg saying "I'm not broken. And I'm not alone"...Flash saying '"Your boy is with the best. The best of the best" was a real moment for me.

To me it was on par with Avengers Endgame. A different movie. But man....I'll see it again for sure.

I would have a hard time saying it was on par with Endgame. I can't separate Endgame and look at it as a solo movie while ignoring the 20 or so movies that led up to it. Justice League had a decent Man of Steel movie and a mess of BvS movie leading up to it. 

I thought it was a shame that they pulled out some of the moments Whedon did that hit. Felt almost petty. Like refusal to admit that he did anything right with the movie.

I'm excited for Whedon's Director's Cut of Zack Snyder's Justice League some day. 

Anyhow, I would say this movie was the best of the recent DCEU movies other than maybe the first Wonder Woman movie so far. It leaves WB with a tough decision. Sounds like they were planning on rebooting a lot of the DCEU and tearing it down. If fans like this movie though, maybe they scrap those ideas and build off this now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2021 at 7:36 AM, Mike Friedman said:

I'm excited for Whedon's Director's Cut of Zack Snyder's Justice League some day. 

Made me laugh.  😀

 

I think if Whedon had the movie from the beginning it would have been a fun movie, like the Marvel movies. 

 

Maybe the reason none of Whedon's content survive this cut is that it was advertised as Snyder's vision. and using any Whedon content would have been false advertising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Fair enough.

Now to put my sales and marketing hat on.

After the release of Justice League in 2017, the reviews were mixed to bad.

Zack Snyder now had a waning reputation because Batman V Superman was also a less than stellar performer (although the director's Cut was better)

 

So we started seeing buzz from fans about "Release the Snyder cut!". And we saw continual statements from Zack Snyder playing coy, saying it wouldn't happen..

My guess is that Zack Snyder knew that his reputation as a director of superhero movies was on the rocks, and looked for a way to regain his past glory. So I think it may have been mostly him behind all the demand for his version of the movie. And of course, it helped immensely that the vast majority of the movie had already been shot, and even the effects were mostly done.

This 4 hour version can be thought of as Snyder's Magnum Opus. And it opens the door for at least one more Justice League movie...as his 4 hour movie is really a set up for a conclusion that never came...where the Justice League...the armies of Earth...the Amazons and Atlanteans...and additional characters like Green Lantern, Atom, and maybe more...join in.

 

And this would be the real comparable movie to Avengers Endgame. 

 

Maybe the biggest jolt this gives to Snyder's demand as a director....is that now, we are used to his style...lots of greys, darker story, lots of slow motion action, heavy on visual moments, and seeing some of the effects of real violence...like a city leveled when Superman fights Zod.....or men getting bashed and broken when Wonder Woman gets in battle mode. And of course, Batman swearing.

This ain't the Justice league from the 1960s comics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Now to put my sales and marketing hat on.

After the release of Justice League in 2017, the reviews were mixed to bad.

Zack Snyder now had a waning reputation because Batman V Superman was also a less than stellar performer (although the director's Cut was better)

 

So we started seeing buzz from fans about "Release the Snyder cut!". And we saw continual statements from Zack Snyder playing coy, saying it wouldn't happen..

My guess is that Zack Snyder knew that his reputation as a director of superhero movies was on the rocks, and looked for a way to regain his past glory. So I think it may have been mostly him behind all the demand for his version of the movie. And of course, it helped immensely that the vast majority of the movie had already been shot, and even the effects were mostly done.

This 4 hour version can be thought of as Snyder's Magnum Opus. And it opens the door for at least one more Justice League movie...as his 4 hour movie is really a set up for a conclusion that never came...where the Justice League...the armies of Earth...the Amazons and Atlanteans...and additional characters like Green Lantern, Atom, and maybe more...join in.

 

And this would be the real comparable movie to Avengers Endgame. 

 

Maybe the biggest jolt this gives to Snyder's demand as a director....is that now, we are used to his style...lots of greys, darker story, lots of slow motion action, heavy on visual moments, and seeing some of the effects of real violence...like a city leveled when Superman fights Zod.....or men getting bashed and broken when Wonder Woman gets in battle mode. And of course, Batman swearing.

This ain't the Justice league from the 1960s comics.

All of that makes sense, and I agree that Snyder was likely a driving force behind the calls for this to happen. He had not made a movie that was universally liked, superhero or not, since what? 300 maybe?

I think it would be a mistake for them to jump into a second Justice League movie right now.

They should do a few more solo movies first. Maybe Green Lantern, Hawk Man, and anyone else they might want to recruit into the League. These movies could have Darkseid in the background as the ultimate evil pulling many of the strings the way Thanos was in the Marvel movies. Build up to something more grand with Darkseid instead of just rushing to a climax. 

Or maybe do a Justice League movie with them going up against The Legion of Doom first. 

Either way, save the fight with Darkseid for a little bit.

 

On the other hand, WB is probably thinking, "Shit, we did something good. We need to go big before we screw this up again..."

 

The real difference between the DCEU and MCU is Kevin Feige. One creative voice with a vision in charge guiding where everything is going. The DCEU is a mismanaged mess. That being said, I'm kind of excited about the new Batman movie.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have to see if the new version of the movie was worth the wait. Looking at the reviews so far, it at least seems like Zack Snyder’s Justice League is a drastically different film than the one moviegoers saw in 2017. I'll be watching it this weekend

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Krisvertelo said:

I still have to see if the new version of the movie was worth the wait. Looking at the reviews so far, it at least seems like Zack Snyder’s Justice League is a drastically different film than the one moviegoers saw in 2017. I'll be watching it this weekend

I think you'll be stunned. I certainly was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, Mike Friedman said:

That being said, I'm kind of excited about the new Batman movie.

Me too. No idea how it will play out, based on the previews. An interesting take would be Batman as a horror figure, concentrating on his compulsion and mental illness.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Me too. No idea how it will play out, based on the previews. An interesting take would be Batman as a horror figure, concentrating on his compulsion and mental illness.

 

 

I'm hoping they play a little more on the genius of Bruce Wayne than other movies have. World's greatest detective and all of that. They did a little bit in the Nolan movies, but it was more about him being a tech whizz than anything, imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I'm hoping they play a little more on the genius of Bruce Wayne than other movies have. World's greatest detective and all of that. They did a little bit in the Nolan movies, but it was more about him being a tech whizz than anything, imo. 

I completely agree. I can see a movie where he is Sherlock Holmes smart and is prepared several steps ahead. Sure, he would still wear the outfit....but it wouldn't be about that. To me, the most intriguing parts of a Batman story are low tech. His obsessive drive, his detective skills, his ability to think several steps ahead of criminals. His ability to fight several men at once, take a beating...get seriously wounded, and keep coming back. 

 

I remember a scene in the Justice League (I think) animated movie where Batman is completely encased in metal. He can't move at all. And one criminal says to another "Yeah, he's completely helpless. He's talking to (a different criminal) right now". The mastermind yells "He can talk?!", knowing that this will be more than enough for Batman to escape. And of course he does.

 

 

Superman once said that Batman was the most dangerous man on Earth. Of course, Superman could kill him in an instant. But it's a great thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.