Sticking with PPC this week, specifically Google and Bing Ads.

This is a technique I have been using for a long time. I came up with a catchy acronym for it when I teach it to people. 

A.I.M.: Analyze, Identify, Move

Then several years ago I was reading Perry Marshall’s book on Google Ads. He uses the same method, but calls it Peel & Stick. Admittedly, his name is much more catchy. 

Call it whatever you want. The concept is the same.

The way you implement this is simple. 

(STEP 1) You first Analyze the keywords of an ad group. What you are looking for is any keyword that sticks out. We are primarily looking at CTRs here. Note, most people who I have encountered that do use this method only do this for the top performers. However, you should also use this for keywords that are not performing well. 

(STEP 2) You want to Identify keywords that are outperforming the rest of the group or underperforming the rest of the group.

(STEP 3) The third step is to Move these keywords into their own single keyword ad groups (SKAG).

In the case of over performing keywords, you are doing this hoping that if you write an ad targeted specifically for this keyword you will be able to boost its performance even higher.

In the case of underperforming keywords, you are moving them into their own ad groups hoping that by putting the keyword by itself with ads specifically suited for that keyword, that you can boost its CTR to something more respectable. 

Depending on the situation, I will go a step further and create a unique landing page for each of these as well. The thinking being that I can improve the Quality Score, which means potentially higher positions in the ad listings, which can then lead to higher CTRs.

You do not want your ad groups cannibalizing one another. This is even more common with Google’s expanding definition of exact match. Make sure when you pull a keyword out of an ad group, you add its exact match as a negative keyword to that ad group.

• 4 weeks later...
Grow your online visibility