Superheros go Gay

Tagiscom

But the big-screen worlds of Marvel and DC remain less progressive. Tessa Thompson’s character in Thor: Ragnarok was only revealed as bisexual in a tweet while Deadpool’s sexual fluidity has yet to be fully explored. This November’s Eternals is set to change things with the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s first LGBTQ+ kiss between Brian Tyree Henry’s Phastos, the first openly gay superhero in a Marvel movie, and Haaz Sleiman, who plays his husband.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/oct/11/superman-bisexual-dc-comics

What are we going to see next, someone wearing a pink cape, and politically correcting stereotypes?

It worked in Star Trek Discovery, even though it was pushing it on several occasions, but superheros, looks like the franchise is doing downhill.

:o

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes
22 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

What are we going to see next, someone wearing a pink cape, and politically correcting stereotypes?

It worked in Star Trek Discovery, even though it was pushing it on several occasions, but superheros, looks like the franchise is doing downhill.

So you mean their are no ACDC characters to Marvel at yet?

On 10/13/2021 at 8:10 AM, Tagiscom said:

The reason several Marvel and DC characters are now going to be portrayed as gay, transgender, or bisexual isn't because it will boost sales. It's because many of the writers and artists that work on these comics are gay, trans, or bisexual. And many cosplayers are in that group as well. I'm not sure how it will affect sales, but I'm sure it will.

And the characters are now not fighting bad guys like they used to. Now, they are talking bad guys out of their evil deeds. They are using the power of understanding, love, and acceptance.

Great for a group hug, but in comics? The entire point of costumed super heroes is so young boys can live out their power fantasies. Trying to appeal for such a small segment of the population may backfire, we'll see.

If you watch any of the CW superhero shows, many of the characters are trans or gay. That's not why I stopped watching them. I stopped because every two minutes someone is having a breakdown, screaming, stomping off, crying. Everyone acts like a 14 year old girl with her first breakup.

4 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

The reason several Marvel and DC characters are now going to be portrayed as gay, transgender, or bisexual isn't because it will boost sales. It's because many of the writers and artists that work on these comics are gay, trans, or bisexual. And many cosplayers are in that group as well. I'm not sure how it will affect sales, but I'm sure it will.

And the characters are now not fighting bad guys like they used to. Now, they are talking bad guys out of their evil deeds. They are using the power of understanding, love, and acceptance.

Great for a group hug, but in comics? The entire point of costumed super heroes is so young boys can live out their power fantasies. Trying to appeal for such a small segment of the population may backfire, we'll see.

If you watch any of the CW superhero shows, many of the characters are trans or gay. That's not why I stopped watching them. I stopped because every two minutes someone is having a breakdown, screaming, stomping off, crying. Everyone acts like a 14 year old girl with her first breakup.

It's all the rage. Even Star Trek has a Trans-Warp drive now. 

10 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Agreed, this is a bit like when Ben gave up and Darth sabered his head off, on the Death Star.

This will probably go the same way as Doctor Who, with the stereotype format and correcting stuff, (it just pisses off their fan base).

6 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

It's all the rage. Even Star Trek has a Trans-Warp drive now. 

STD, also pushes the feely side too much, especially with the gay genius. And the ;emotional connection to the characters is good, but you don't have to shove a camera in their faces, and drag it out.

Same with Picard, l was thinking when he dropped off his perch, ok, he croaked, don't drag out the sob fest.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I don't really care who my superheroes are sleeping with.

I do wish they would make an effort to make some new characters with whatever sexual orientation or gender identity they want versus retconning old characters.

i agree. But not for aesthetic reasons, for marketing reasons.  

If you create a gay or Trans character, it will more appeal to a certain audience. And that audience can grow.

But Superman? By attracting a small audience by changing a characters sexuality, you risk repelling a large section of an established fan base.

And let's be clear, the reason Superman is now "Bi-sexual" isn't because it will sell more comics, it's because the writer is gay, and wants that to be more main stream.

I'm an atheist. But if I were writing comics, I would never insert my lack of religious belief into an established character...just to make me feel better...a character I didn't create. That would kill sales. 

It's the same with the super hero TV series' on TV. The adults all act like angst driven teenagers. I get it, drama is the key. but in 30 minutes, every character goes from screaming to crying, to hugging, to fighting, to screaming again. Nobody sane acts like that.

On the other hand, it may be that I just don't understand what sells on TV. That's entirely possible. 

1 hour ago, Claude Whitacre said:

i agree. But not for aesthetic reasons, for marketing reasons.  

If you create a gay or Trans character, it will more appeal to a certain audience. And that audience can grow.

But Superman? By attracting a small audience by changing a characters sexuality, you risk repelling a large section of an established fan base.

And let's be clear, the reason Superman is now "Bi-sexual" isn't because it will sell more comics, it's because the writer is gay, and wants that to be more main stream.

I'm an atheist. But if I were writing comics, I would never insert my lack of religious belief into an established character...just to make me feel better...a character I didn't create. That would kill sales. 

It's the same with the super hero TV series' on TV. The adults all act like angst driven teenagers. I get it, drama is the key. but in 30 minutes, every character goes from screaming to crying, to hugging, to fighting, to screaming again. Nobody sane acts like that.

On the other hand, it may be that I just don't understand what sells on TV. That's entirely possible. 

Well, based on the lack of success on the DC TV shows as compared to the Marvel shows on Netflix and Disney+, I would say you may no better what sells on TV than what some of the DC execs seem to. Admittedly, I don't watch the DC shows. I tried to when The Flash first launched and just couldn't get into it. The commercials for the shows though... if you took away the superhero costumes and fighting, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and a commercial for your standard teen drama going back to Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. 

With Marvel, on the other hand, I consume every single thing they put out. 

I have a feeling this new Superman comic is going to bomb on a massive scale. 

50 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

Well, based on the lack of success on the DC TV shows as compared to the Marvel shows on Netflix and Disney+, I would say you may no better what sells on TV than what some of the DC execs seem to. Admittedly, I don't watch the DC shows. I tried to when The Flash first launched and just couldn't get into it. The commercials for the shows though... if you took away the superhero costumes and fighting, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and a commercial for your standard teen drama going back to Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. 

With Marvel, on the other hand, I consume every single thing they put out. 

I have a feeling this new Superman comic is going to bomb on a massive scale. 

When Arrow first came out, I really liked it (Green Arrow). But it soon devolved into the typical CW angsty emotion fest.

I still watch Superman and Lois. But I record it and fast forward to the Superman action scenes, which are excellent.

I agree with you about the Marvel shows on Disney and Netflix. Movie quality, and real stories. And the adults act more like adults.....who run around in costumes....and fight crime...which is perfectly normal. 🙃

6 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

When Arrow first came out, I really liked it (Green Arrow). But it soon devolved into the typical CW angsty emotion fest.

I still watch Superman and Lois. But I record it and fast forward to the Superman action scenes, which are excellent.

I agree with you about the Marvel shows on Disney and Netflix. Movie quality, and real stories. And the adults act more like adults.....who run around in costumes....and fight crime...which is perfectly normal. 🙃

They are thinking about making Deadpool gay, or transsexual, (his wife) which may work to a point, (like making fun of it) but being a big Deadpool fan, if they made it obvious and all out, that would put me right off the entire franchise.

So like Axel F. in Beverley Hills Cop, making fun of gayism, (probably isn't a real word, but what the hell) is fine, but making him seriously guy, no.

19 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

They are thinking about making Deadpool gay, or transsexual, (his wife) which may work to a point, (like making fun of it) but being a big Deadpool fan, if they made it obvious and all out, that would put me right off the entire franchise.

So like Axel F. in Beverley Hills Cop, making fun of gayism, (probably isn't a real word, but what the hell) is fine, but making him seriously guy, no.

It used to be OK to make fun of being Gay. Or at least telling a gay joke.   

Now, gay jokes are insults. Just like any ethic joke is now a personal insult.

If Deadpool was made gay, it wouldn't be funny. They wouldn't be able to use it for humor at all, I think. And trans? Never.  It's never OK to joke about it. Why? The walls have ears. 

I have a very good friend who has a daughter who now identifies as male. I refuse to mention his/her name, or talk about it at all, because I know...KNOW...it will be taken as an insult.  We are walking on land mines here. 

by the way, remember Polish jokes? They are gone. When I was a kid, I heard Polish jokes. I didn't even know Poland was a real place. It never occurred to me that we were making fun of real people. But we were. Much of that is gone, and should be. The gay/trans thing is the next to go. In 5 years we won't even think about it. 

The only reason anyone feels the way they do about being gay or trans...is because of when they were born. If you were born 100 years ago, Rock and Roll would be the worst thing you've ever heard. Seeing a woman's belly button on TV was once scandalous. Captain Kirk kissing Ohura (a black woman) was scandalous when it aired. Now, all those things are laughable.

Times change, and we will too.

20 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

by the way, remember Polish jokes? They are gone. When I was a kid, I heard Polish jokes. I didn't even know Poland was a real place. It never occurred to me that we were making fun of real people. But we were. Much of that is gone, and should be. The gay/trans thing is the next to go. In 5 years we won't even think about it. 

Funny enough, I heard the most Polish jokes from my paternal grandparents. My grandmother was from Poland. She had escaped the Nazis and immigrated here as a kid.

I cannot imagine being a standup comedian in this day and age.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:44 AM, Claude Whitacre said:

It used to be OK to make fun of being Gay. Or at least telling a gay joke.   

Now, gay jokes are insults. Just like any ethic joke is now a personal insult.

If Deadpool was made gay, it wouldn't be funny. They wouldn't be able to use it for humor at all, I think. And trans? Never.  It's never OK to joke about it. Why? The walls have ears. 

I have a very good friend who has a daughter who now identifies as male. I refuse to mention his/her name, or talk about it at all, because I know...KNOW...it will be taken as an insult.  We are walking on land mines here. 

The only reason anyone feels the way they do about being gay or trans...is because of when they were born. If you were born 100 years ago, Rock and Roll would be the worst thing you've ever heard. Seeing a woman's belly button on TV was once scandalous. Captain Kirk kissing Ohura (a black woman) was scandalous when it aired. Now, all those things are laughable.

Times change, and we will too.

Sounds like we cannot make fun of anyone, anymore including the Welsh?

:lol:

23 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Funny enough, I heard the most Polish jokes from my paternal grandparents. My grandmother was from Poland. She had escaped the Nazis and immigrated here as a kid.

I cannot imagine being a standup comedian in this day and age.

The pure stand up comedians with a following? These audiences know what they are going to get. Louis CK jokes about child molesting and being white...and he can because he is so...very...talented. You can't help but laugh because the delivery is brilliant. 

But someone like Don Rickles? A very quickly shrinking audience for that kind of rapid fire insult comedy based on insulting people's race, weight, features, attractiveness. 

You can't get away with much in colleges now, if you do stand up.

10 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

The pure stand up comedians with a following? These audiences know what they are going to get. Louis CK jokes about child molesting and being white...and he can because he is so...very...talented. You can't help but laugh because the delivery is brilliant. 

But someone like Don Rickles? A very quickly shrinking audience for that kind of rapid fire insult comedy based on insulting people's race, weight, features, attractiveness. 

You can't get away with much in colleges now, if you do stand up.

Even comedians with big audiences come under fire. Dave Chappelle's recent special showed that. People have forgotten that comedic acts are to make light of real life situations. They are for entertainment. 

Sam Kinison's career never would have gotten off the ground in the climate we are in right now. Neither would Andrew Dice Clay, but I thought he was a talentless hack anyhow.