Page Rank Newbie Question

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

18 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I have a website with page rank, an I want to replace the website. Does Page Rank go with the URL? Is it attached to the site itself? How would I keep the page rank if i changed the website. 

Also, Aweber gives you a website. Would that website eventually build page rank?  

Thanks.

Mike can correct me if i am wrong.

If you 301 redirect one site from another, the link juice (pagerank) will follow however it's not a 100% from what people claim, i think i have read figures like 50% to 70%. Hard to quantify something like that but i have seen legit businesses do that, the rankings/juice does follow but it takes a while. 

Every page has a pagerank doesn't matter where its hosted. Google is pretty smart and even seem to know which sites host user content in folders than subdomains (e.g /user/content versus user.domain.com/content) and devalues/reset that content to pagerank zero. Same link structure on another site and the juice follows exactly like you would expect ranking very high. So yep, doesn't matter if its aweber but don't expect any benefits from being on aweber site.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:41 PM, Claude Whitacre said:

I have a website with page rank, an I want to replace the website. Does Page Rank go with the URL? Is it attached to the site itself? How would I keep the page rank if i changed the website. 

Also, Aweber gives you a website. Would that website eventually build page rank?  

Thanks.

Hey Claude,

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. PageRank is a formula Google has used and changed over the years that calculates the strength of incoming links to a page. Pages can pass on PageRank to one another through their links. Google still uses PageRank today, but has stopped sharing the data publicly in 2013. Any tools that are still out there showing PageRank data are showing it from the last public update... 8 years ago.

Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about your page's actual rankings? Where it ranks for specific search terms in search engines?

On 10/31/2021 at 12:16 PM, Mike Friedman said:

Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about your page's actual rankings? Where it ranks for specific search terms in search engines?

I really wanted to know about PageRank. 

But it's more important to me that people find the page by using the right keywords.

The truth is, the vast majority of the site traffic will come rom promoting on other sites, rather than SEO. But I was wondering about transferring PageRank.

Thanks, Guys.

8 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I really wanted to know about PageRank. 

But it's more important to me that people find the page by using the right keywords.

The truth is, the vast majority of the site traffic will come rom promoting on other sites, rather than SEO. But I was wondering about transferring PageRank.

Thanks, Guys.

I responded at WF too, but what you want to do is either keep the same URL structure or make sure you 301 redirect any old URL that is going to be replaced to its corresponding new URL. That will tell search engines to treat any links pointing at the old URL as if they were pointing at the new URL instead. That should maintain most of your rankings, if not all of them. If you are changing content, page design, etc., that can impact your rankings either positively or negatively.