Marketing Tools To Avoid

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes

Market Samurai

Market Samurai owes a lot of its popularity to being involved in something that was called the 30-Day Challenge. I do not know if that program is still around or not. It was a free course or guide that was designed to help marketers go from total amateurs to making their first $1 online. There was some decent information in there. It was not really free though. It was a huge affiliate sales funnel, promoted brilliantly I might ad, for marketing products. One of the biggest ones being Market Samurai.

Anyone that has followed me for any length of time is probably aware of my out and out disdain for this product. There are several things that bother me about it.

The training that they provide around keyword research has always upset me. They offer a lot of misleading and just outright bad advice when it comes to keyword research. In fact, I largely blame them for perpetuating some of the silly beliefs people have about analyzing competition for a keyword.

They advocate using the number of search results in Google's index as a way to measure how competitive a keyword is. I believe they call it SEOC in their program. This could not possibly be further from the truth. The number of results in Google's index has nothing to do with the level of competition. I could go on all day with examples, but here is a good one.

Do a Google search for 'gigantic elephants with tiny pink balls'. 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gigantic+elephants+with+tiny+pink+balls

Google returns over 80 million results. Do you really think that 80 million webpages are competing for that term?

They will also tell you to analyze other useless metrics like GOV/EDU links and PageRank. I've written large volumes of material about the whole myth with links from .gov and .edu websites. You will find a summary under the Link Building section of this thread about SEO myths

PageRank, even when it was updated regularly, was never an indicator of how tough a site would be to outrank. PageRank is a measure of the quality of incoming links to a webpage, but has nothing to do with the relevance of those links. If PR was a strong indicator for rankings, sites like Facebook and CNN would rank for everything.

They will also tell you to look at the number of backlinks a page has. The number of backlinks a page has does not matter. What matters is the quality of the links.

The software itself is a resource hog. It pulls most of its data from the Google Keyword Planner, however it does so at the speed of slow. Sssoooooo fffreeeaaakkkiiiinnnnnggggg sssssllllloooowwwww.

It is just awful how slow the software is. 

Honestly, if Market Samurai was free, I would feel that it was overpriced. 

SENuke X

I am not going to get into a debate with anyone about whether or not SENuke X works for ranking webpages. That is usually an exercise in futility. People who like SENuke X tend to be blind followers and will defend it no matter what.

Instead of arguing about whether it works or not for ranking webpages, I'm just going to make the argument that if you are going to use a tool like this, there are far better and far cheaper alternatives to SENuke.

The biggest negative against SENuke is the price. It is far, far overpriced compared to other software out there. If you want basically the exact same functionality, Magic Submitter does it at less than half the monthly price.

Even better than that is GSA SER which will post to far more target platforms, allows you to add your own targets much easier, and is way faster for about $100. Not $100/monthly. $100 one time. 

$100 one time or $147/month?

Now GSA doesn't have the campaign designer that SENuke X has, but honestly, that is little more than a marketing gimmick. GSA also does not have the bugs and problems crashing that SENuke X has been plagued with since its launch several years ago. GSA also provides you with a lot more control over how the links are built. 

And GSA is not the only alternative. XRumer still runs circles around SENuke X. It is a bit more expensive upfront. Last I looked it will cost you around $500 or so. In the long run, much cheaper than SENuke's $147/month though.

To me SENuke X is the equivalent of Apple products over the last few years in the automated backlink software market space. It looks nice. It has a pretty interface. However, in the end, you are paying more and actually getting less functionality. (And that is coming from someone who just got an iPhone 6 recently)

I used Senuke, then SenukeX, then SenukeXCr...none of the links are still around today. NONE. 

I also used GSA SER and I didn't like it. Same results as Senuke PLUS you're out of pocket for tons of proxies or Hide My Ass! (if it works.) Typically you're pulling double duty typing in captchas because no breaker - not even GSA's own - fits the bill.

I've come to think know that automation of backlinking is weak sauce.

I'd rather have a handful of kickass links my competition can't touch than 500 that everyone gets their dirty hands on.