Facebook ads are literally light years behind AdWords

Mike Friedman

So I wanted to test what kind of traffic we might be able to generate off of Facebook for the forum here. Facebook ads are dirt cheap compared to AdWords, so even if the results were not great, it is still worth testing.

I created a fairly mundane simple ad. 

It was rejected because the ad targeted people ages 18-50 and the website 'promotes alcohol and alcoholic beverages'.

:huh:

I'm not sure if it is because there is a subform titled The Bar or because there are a few posts about beers.

Either way... ridiculous.

Run a Full Website Scan in Minutes

So I wanted to test what kind of traffic we might be able to generate off of Facebook for the forum here. Facebook ads are dirt cheap compared to AdWords, so even if the results were not great, it is still worth testing.

I created a fairly mundane simple ad. 

It was rejected because the ad targeted people ages 18-50 and the website 'promotes alcohol and alcoholic beverages'.

:huh:

I'm not sure if it is because there is a subform titled The Bar or because there are a few posts about beers.

Either way... ridiculous.

Change the age to 21-50 see what happens.

I noticed this same kind of issue when I tried to promote one of my web client's website on Facebook. My client is a Vape Shop (electronic cigarettes and such) and Facebook will not allow them to advertise thier Page, or promote any posts because Facebook considers their business to be (Tobacco related).

Facebook seems to hold a rather conservative stance on what they allow to be promoted throughout the website.

I can understand Facebook's stance on the vape shop. That stuff really is not much different than smoking. Just harming your body in slightly different ways.

To decline this because it is advocating alcohol though?

Anyhow, only took 14 hours for another review and everything was approved when I bumped the target age up to 21.

To be honest, I probably should have made it older than 18 from the begginning anyhow. I do not think many 18 and 19 year-old kids are trying their hand at online marketing.

I can understand Facebook's stance on the vape shop. That stuff really is not much different than smoking. Just harming your body in slightly different ways.

To decline this because it is advocating alcohol though?

Anyhow, only took 14 hours for another review and everything was approved when I bumped the target age up to 21.

To be honest, I probably should have made it older than 18 from the begginning anyhow. I do not think many 18 and 19 year-old kids are trying their hand at online marketing.

Only argument towards the Vape shop compared to Alcohol would be; Both are harmful in different ways, so how can we ban one but not the other? That is Facebooks worry and not mine- no further argument on this ;)

However, glad everything got promoted as you wished when you changed the age to 21.

Must also remember that Facebook's policy is that you must be 16 I believe to sign up for an account, so they do need to limit some things I suppose since minors can be viewing ads.

Only argument towards the Vape shop compared to Alcohol would be; Both are harmful in different ways, so how can we ban one but not the other? That is Facebooks worry and not mine- no further argument on this ;)

However, glad everything got promoted as you wished when you changed the age to 21.

Must also remember that Facebook's policy is that you must be 16 I believe to sign up for an account, so they do need to limit some things I suppose since minors can be viewing ads.

I think you might be missing the point. I'm not arguing tobacco vs alcohol. I can see why Facebook would not want to promote either one.

Facebook said that this site was promoting alcohol. That's what I found silly.

• 3 years later...

From my point of view I don't agree with your statement.
In my experience Facebook is one of the best platform for advertiser. Because Facebook provide the best demographic option for targeting the audience as using location, age, gender,  language, education,financial, Relationship, work etc. This help you to reach your specific audience in fast manner and also able to get better ROI.

If you compare google adword demographic option with Facebook then Facebook provide more demographic option than google adword.

For better competition there are Facebook ad spy tool are also available.
The best Facebook ad spy tool which I know is Poweradspy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, AlbertoEbert said:

From my point of view I don't agree with your statement.
In my experience Facebook is one of the best platform for advertiser. Because Facebook provide the best demographic option for targeting the audience as using location, age, gender,  language, education,financial, Relationship, work etc. This help you to reach your specific audience in fast manner and also able to get better ROI.

If you compare google adword demographic option with Facebook then Facebook provide more demographic option than google adword.

For better competition there are Facebook ad spy tool are also available.
The best Facebook ad spy tool which I know is Poweradspy.

All that demographic targeting is fairly useless for a lot of businesses. 

If I'm a plumber, how does that demographic data help me target someone with a leaky sink?

• 3 months later...

I don't think Facebook is a light-year ahead of Adword. As Facebook has more than 2.38 billion users it is the number one social media channel. Facebook provides the best targeting option for ads to target your audience and it also provides a better conversion than Google ads.